Comparison Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E?

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #41  
To go along with what K0ua mentioned, I think you may find it worth while looking at a Kioti. I think a DK35SE is very similar in size and power to the 3038 and 3800, but is Kioti's 'deluxe' model, so more standard features and a price tag that is very similar to what you are looking at. I think it may be worth your time to take a look.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #42  
To go along with what K0ua mentioned, I think you may find it worth while looking at a Kioti. I think a DK35SE is very similar in size and power to the 3038 and 3800, but is Kioti's 'deluxe' model, so more standard features and a price tag that is very similar to what you are looking at. I think it may be worth your time to take a look.

Throw in a kioti in the picture and you have a better machine for less.:eek:

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #43  
   / Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #44  
Let's not start down that road.

Agreed:thumbsup:

You may get a similar sized machine with a few more features for less bucks, But to say a "BETTER" machine:confused2: thats opening a can of worms

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #45  
It's hard to believe no one's pointed out the elephant in the room yet.. so I'll pull his trunk a little.

The L3800, like every "economy" L series Kubota built in the last 5-7 years has an excellent chance of having a rough 3 point hitch that jumps an inch every time you try to raise it a fraction of that amount.

I've put up with that for almost 3 years, and while it looks as if we may have the problem licked finally, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

You may have a battle on your hands getting your dealer to address it if the one you buy has the problem with the hitch jerking. Some call it warranty work, others refuse to even acknowledge the problem. It's one of the things you have to compare during the test drives. Ask both dealers to hook a box blade on the hitch, and try raising it slowly, a little at a time.

If it jumps, and the dealer assures you that "We'll get that fixed for you once you sign the papers.." I would strongly suggest he stick his papers where the sun don't shine and fix the problem first, then we'll talk.

That being said, I think the Kubota has the edge in value and usability, but Deere makes a good product and generally stands behind them.

If they're both smooth and you can live with them, then it comes down to which tractor you like the best, and which dealer gives you the best feeling for the service you'll get after the sale.

That's my 2 cents and then some.

Sean

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #46  
The L3800, like every "economy" L series Kubota built in the last 5-7 years has an excellent chance of having a rough 3 point hitch that jumps an inch every time you try to raise it a fraction of that amount.
I'm surprised it took 5 pages for that subject to come up.

As far as the quick attach loader...........I very rarely remove mine, but when I need it off...........It's a great thing to have.

Personally, if it were me..........I wouldn't want either model.

The Deere because of the fixed loader and the 2 range hydro.

The Kubota because of the possible 'jerky 3pt.'

But what do I know........I gots a Massey sub-compact:confused::confused2:

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #47  
Don87's concerns are mine also. I am going to go over and look at the Kioti's after setting my heart on the L3800, even though the limited Kioti dealer network scares me. I also thought the JD3038E looked like it was more geared towards the homeowner's market. I dont want to be mowing with a FEL attached for safety reasons or to have a defective 3 point hitch. This will be a once in a lifetime purchase upon retirement so everything needs to be in order.

Mike

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #48  
Well as long as you are looking at something other than the JD and Kubota, may as well look at the LS models if dealers are in your area. There are lots of satisfied owners here on TBN, just check out the LS forum way on down the topics list. I bought one after shopping all the other brands and based my decision on quality, features and lastly price. I know you wont be disappointed with any of that compared to any other brand including JD, MF, Mahindra, Kioti, Kubota, IH Case and New Holland. As a matter of fact, LS makes some models for many of the above mentioned brands. The jury is out on what the future resell will be on these tractors, but for me that wasnt and issue as I dont plan on mine being sold till I am in the ground. Korean manufactures seem to be the up and coming brands to watch in tractors and cars, just look how far Hyundai and Kia motors have come in the last 10 years or so.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #49  
I find the $2K difference odd when compared to my buying experience. Kubota and JD dealerships less than a block away from one another in a metropolitan area. The orange tractors were always priced lower.

As suggested before take the trade in out of the deal and compare. I find my 3 range HST very versatile. The L & M for working the H for transport. Pretty weak on power in H range.Won't pull itself out of a ditch in H. As this is my 2nd tractor I would be dollars ahead in purchasing a larger tractor to begin with.

I do a lot of loader work and find the double action hydraulics on the fel to be very useful. I know orange has this feature - that is you can raise and curl the bucket at the same time. Allows you to reposition the bucket for the next load quicker.

My orange dealer attached a brush hog to the tractor I was bargaining for and let me haul it 80 miles over night for a demo on some brush hogging I was buying the unit for. The price quoted was the financed price. If I paid cash he would deduct $1K. I would ask for a demo from both dealers. You may not get it but might be worth a try.

Definitely tell the dealers you are looking for the guy with the sharpest pencil and take the quote along with you.

My biased opinion would be to go Orange unless you really find some bad news about the dealership.

Last edited:
   / Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #50  
I am not familar with either of these tractors, but based on what has been posted, I think the aluminum rear end on the JD is a big negative plus the 2 range transmisson another likely regret that you will have. I think I would try to get the Kubota guy to come in line a bit more on price which I am sure he can do something if the salesman just comes off his commission a bit which he should do if he knows he is going to lose the whole thing if he doesnt subtract a bit of his profit. He might be more willing to throw in the equipment that the JD dealer is giving if he needs to get a sale. They have a pretty high mark up on equipment, much more so than their tractors. If not, try another Kubota dealer if one is nearby. Hopefully you will have a better experience with them than I had withe the Hot Springs Kubota dealer as in not getting back to me with even a phone call after my 2 visits and several calls with a quote even.