Comparison Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E?

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #1  

dontn

I am getting ready to purchase a new tractor for my small farm. I will mainly be using the tractor for grading driveway, moving manure, and bushogging. My property is very hilly. I have priced the both of the above tractors. Both tractors have the Hydrostat Drives and both dealers are going to fill tires with fluid to increase weight.

I got my final pricing with trade in. The JD3038E is about $2000.00 less and includes 6 ft. Frontier Box Blade due to the 2-implement promotion. Both JD and Kubota offer 0% financing but Kubota will increase price $1000.00 if I use the financing. I will be financing and that is why the Kubota is going to cost about $2000.00 more.

Any suggestions on which tractor will be better for my situation? Is the Kubota worth paying $2000.00 more and also having to buy a box blade. Looking at durability, repair cost, and resale value. I have Kubota Dealers and JD dealers within 15 miles.

Thanks for your help.

Don

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #2  
In a word, "no". Yes, I "bleed green" but 2K is just too much difference. The 3038E and L3800 are very close in specs - Kub has 3 ranges, JD has 2; JD has independent PTO, Kub does not; treadle pedal vs twin pedal, etc - if it were 500 difference then go with which pedal configuration you like better or dealer you like better... But 2K? I think even some Kub guys are going to say to go with the JD.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #3  
I'm no expert on either one of these machines, but as far as I know there are some differences to consider:

- 3 range hydro on the Kubota vs 2 range on the JD.
- Loader capacity I think is higher on the Kubota.
- The loader is removable on the Kubota.

This coming from a guy with a smaller, older, gear drive tractor. I have to say I'd be envious of either one. However the $2000+ would personally entice me to go JD. Primarily because the 2-3 range thing does not bother me and I always leave my loader on (I doubt it could even be removed at this point). I would strongly suggest sitting on each one and driving it around a bit. I found the L2800 and L3400 to be kind of cramped on the operators stations and the L3240 to be much roomier. Haven't driven the JD's to compare.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #4  
Like BleedGreen, I do favor JD, but I admit when somethings got me beat... I don't believe, though, the L3800 is worth $2k more than the 3038e.

Yea it has a two range hydro, I'm between A and B range 98% of the time and the rest of the time is road travel, I could live with it.

The 3038e's loader isn't quick detach, but in all the tractors I've had with loaders I've never once took one of them off. Not important to me at all. I figure if I'm taking the loader off then I'm doing 3pt work, and it won't work as well without the extra weight in the front, so what's the point. And, if you get stuck, you can get yourself out with the loader.

Of course I'm just referring to my situation, but if I recall correctly that price includes a box blade for the JD and not the Kubota as well right?

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E?
The JD3038E with my trade in is $2,000 less than Kubota. JD also includes a 5 ft. Frontier Box Blade. One of the reasons for the difference in price that I will be financing it. I lose the $1000 rebate from Kubota but not from JD. I can also finance for 60 months 0% interest with JD and Kubota is 48 months 0% interest.

Unless I can find major differences in the tractors, I think it is a no brainer.

I am a little concerned with the JD being 500 lbs lighter. I will never remove the loader so that is not a big deal. I am also concerned that the JD is smaller and will not lift as much with the FEL as the Kubota L3800.

I don't know if these concerns are enough to offset the $2,000.00 savings.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #6  
If your ever thinking about a backhoe the JD won't work. If not go green.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #7  
Two range tractors are severely limited compared to a three range in hilly terrain. You'll likely find yourself mostly working in mid range in the Kubota, and but really appreciate the options of both high and low. I've only had one two speed, but it always seemed to be either too slow in low or too gutless in high to be truly productive

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #8  
The JD3038E with my trade in is $2,000 less than Kubota. JD also includes a 5 ft. Frontier Box Blade. One of the reasons for the difference in price that I will be financing it. I lose the $1000 rebate from Kubota but not from JD. I can also finance for 60 months 0% interest with JD and Kubota is 48 months 0% interest.

Unless I can find major differences in the tractors, I think it is a no brainer.

I am a little concerned with the JD being 500 lbs lighter. I will never remove the loader so that is not a big deal. I am also concerned that the JD is smaller and will not lift as much with the FEL as the Kubota L3800.

I don't know if these concerns are enough to offset the $2,000.00 savings.

Too me, the clear winner is the JD. You get a box blade, and $2,000 less to pay off over an extra year.

You can easily add weight, put rim guard in the tires and the box blade on the back and it will be heavy. As for the lift, you won't notice a difference unless your looking to lift pallets that weigh 2000 pounds. For day to day stuff, most won't need that much. A decent size log will top out at 1000 pounds and both will be able to handle it.

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #9  
Both JD and Kubota offer 0% financing but Kubota will increase price $1000.00 if I use the financing. I will be financing and that is why the Kubota is going to cost about $2000.00 more.

You're comparing apples and oranges with the $2k figure. Take into account what you are actually going to pay at the end. How much interest will you end up paying on the JD before it is paid off? Subtract that amount from the 2k difference and that is your REAL extra cost.

That being said, I like Orange...

JayC

/ Is Kubota L3800 worth 2000 more than JD3038E? #10  
You're comparing apples and oranges with the $2k figure. Take into account what you are actually going to pay at the end. How much interest will you end up paying on the JD before it is paid off? Subtract that amount from the 2k difference and that is your REAL extra cost.

That being said, I like Orange...

JayC

The OP is getting 0% from both JD and Kubota, but Kubota is taking the $1000 cash back he would get for paying cash, taking the difference from $1000 cash to $2000 credit, and JD is offering 60 month 0% and Kubota is offering 48 month 0%. It would be a $2000 difference either way, both are 0%.

I think the 3800 could be more enticing at a $500 difference, but he'll be paying $2,000 more over a 12 month shorter time frame, and the same 0%.

I do prefer JD, and I'm not trying to sway him either way, but for a very comparable tractor at $2,000 less over 12 more months at the same 0%...