Tractor Sizing I am short...

/ I am short... #21  
Goose,

Listen to jenkinsph's advice. He was the one who had me looking into the 110's. It also means if I'm wrong on anything I told you it's partially his fault;)

Oh, and by the way, here's a picture of the 110 I'm getting with the backhoe off and the 3 pt hitch on with a box blade.

/ I am short... #22  
If the seat position is the only thing holding you back on the DK, first double check to make sure it was adjusted right. If it was ask the dealer to remount it. There are only 4 bolts holding seat to the seat, drill new holes and move it forward.

/ I am short... #23  
goosegbf, I noticed you mentioned wood cutting as one of your major tasks. That is why I got a Woods backhoe (with thumb) when I bought my CK35 HST. It also helps if you have a bad back or helps prevent one by being able to cut standing straight. Keeping the chain out of the ground when cutting is a bonus. I also use my backhoe to lift bigger rounds onto my wood splitter. Seeing as the biggest round was almost 4 feet in diameter it would be a stretch to try and lift something that heavy with out using the backhoe. :)

Attachments

• KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 002.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 200
  • KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    KiotiWoodWood 006.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 208
  • Marion201202 004.jpg
    Marion201202 004.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 175
   / I am short... #24  
Goose -

I'm also on the shorter side, and never had a problem with the tractor seats and adjusting to get a comfrtable fit. Perhaps the seat just was stuck in a position from sitting outside for awhile or?? Be worth checking it out a bit more.

The 110 sounds like a good fit. I wouldn't be so concerned about it not being made anymore, but personally I'd be concerned about the 1800 hours. In your situation, I would hire a professional mechanic to go over it stem to stern.

I hear ya on the dealer. I've got a Cub/Yanmar dealer about 7 miles from my house, and more than once now they've aggravated me....so I just didn't give them my business on those particular days. They're a really small town dealer, so I give them a bit of business every now and then just to keep it locally. I've since connected with both owners, so my dealings of late have been much better.
If Emerich is that close, what I would do is make a few calls till I talked to a manager/owner, then make an appontment to meet with them. They should give you better service. I just bought that 50 HP Cub Yanmar, and absolutely love the machine.

Congrats on the land, welcome to TBN, and have fun shopping!

/ I am short...
Folks,

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts. I really do appreciate your time.

I can do plumbing, woodwork, & stonework - but I am most certainly not a mechanic. It's funny how we mostly get good at what our parents are good at. Thus, I am going to have to develop a strong stomach for the JD110. Good idea about the professional mechanic ScoutCub. If I commit to going that way I will definitely figure out how to make that happen (and will make sure that jenkinsph bears some of the credit/blame).

I think I do believe the L/DK size is the right way to go - question now is just how to get the best deal. Scoutcub what do you think of the following: LX490 (49HP) with FEL and BH with thumb, block heater, & loaded wheels for the amazingly low price of $31k. (sorry to semi-hijack the thread). I have done zero research on Cub, so I guess I have some homework in front of me.

I'll update folks next week after I go back to drive some more tractors. I'm sure I'll have another round of questions.

Have a good week all.

/ I am short... #26  
My 5'3" wife does fine with our 2003 NH TC30, 9x3 manual.

/ I am short... #27  
Folks,

Scoutcub what do you think of the following: LX490 (49HP) with FEL and BH with thumb, block heater, & loaded wheels for the amazingly low price of $31k. (sorry to semi-hijack the thread). I have done zero research on Cub, so I guess I have some homework in front of me.

Well, I hate to say it, but that's a better deal than I was offered, and I was beating up several dealers for awhile!
I was offered a LX490 tractor loader backhoe, no thumb, no block heater, or loaded wheels for $32K. I'm thinking that offer must be a demo, probaby has a few hours on it, no issue as far as I'm concerned, with full warranty. You could save a few thousand if you went down to the LX450 or LX410, 45 or 41 HP....they are the same frame, bucket, backhoe, etc. Stout machines, Loader lift is #2500.
I finally decided to drop the backhoe option, as I have a 32 HP compact with a backhoe and will just keep that machine for backhoe work. I ended up buying the LX490 with front aux valve, and dual rear remotes. I just finished installing the front valve and grapple, as I have numerous logs and stumps to move. I just started a thread under "attachments".
Good luck!

Last edited:
   / I am short... #28  
Folks,

Thanks very much for your time and thoughts. I really do appreciate your time.

I can do plumbing, woodwork, & stonework - but I am most certainly not a mechanic. It's funny how we mostly get good at what our parents are good at. Thus, I am going to have to develop a strong stomach for the JD110. Good idea about the professional mechanic ScoutCub. If I commit to going that way I will definitely figure out how to make that happen (and will make sure that jenkinsph bears some of the credit/blame).

I think I do believe the L/DK size is the right way to go - question now is just how to get the best deal. Scoutcub what do you think of the following: LX490 (49HP) with FEL and BH with thumb, block heater, & loaded wheels for the amazingly low price of $31k. (sorry to semi-hijack the thread). I have done zero research on Cub, so I guess I have some homework in front of me.

I'll update folks next week after I go back to drive some more tractors. I'm sure I'll have another round of questions.

Have a good week all.

:laughing::laughing:
I probably wouldn't have even thrown that 110 out if you hadn't mentioned H&M.

I really would recommend the DK size with a backhoe that has a thumb on whatever you get. Sounds like that LX490 is a really good deal though:thumbsup:

/ I am short... #29  
I had to try out the seat on my DK yesterday, and it slides forward far enough that with the steering wheel fully forward, my thighs were almost touching the wheel. Plus I could lower the seat as well, so I think it would be good for 5'ers.

/ I am short... #30  
:laughing::laughing:
I probably wouldn't have even thrown that 110 out if you hadn't mentioned H&M.

I really would recommend the DK size with a backhoe that has a thumb on whatever you get. Sounds like that LX490 is a really good deal though:thumbsup:

Well I can attest to the fact that a 110tlb easily fits a 5'7" operator.:D