Tractor Sizing I am short...

/ I am short... #41  
The best FAA check pilot I ever took a check ride with was a little lady under 5 ft. She sat on a cushion and put wood blocks on the rudder pedals (years before "Short Round" was thought of.

Now to the topic. I have known plenty of folks under 5'7" who had no difficulty at all with tractors. I think it likely there were adjustment options you didn't explore. If not, skip that tractor as there are plenty of other choices. You shouldn't have to customize a new tractor just because you are 5'7' My mom, sister, and wife are all 5'7" and no problems.

Wife's sister loves to run my Kubota L4610 with cab and she is about 5'4-5"

Pat

/ I am short... #42  
One of my guys in this picture is about 5'5" and doesn't have a problem operating anything I have. Very dependable guy and a great work ethic, glad to have him working with me. We were just trying out the cultivator to see how well it would dig in.

/ I am short... #43  
I've been looking at a lot of tractors lately, wanted to find a category III compact that would not be cramped (I'm 6'2" and let's say heavier than I should be). I've so far looked at Deere, Kubota, Massey Ferguson, and Yanmar. I find all except the Kubota have enough room for me. The floor in the Kubota is too cramped, and the seat will not go back far enough. I looked at a B3300, three different Ls, and three different Grand Ls. All of them fit the same. I tried a Montana several years ago, made by LG (now LS). It was also too cramped, and the seat was back against the fuel tank. The OP might find that a Kubota or LS would fit him better.

/ I am short... #44  
I don't know what you mean by a category III Compact. You didn't mention trying any of the Mahindra's on for size, it may be worth while.

/ I am short... #45  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know what you mean by a class III Compact
Means frame size.

/ I am short... #46  
I don't know what you mean by a category III Compact. You didn't mention trying any of the Mahindra's on for size, it may be worth while.

Category III is the size of the JD 3000 Twenty Series, New Holland TC40 or TC45, etc. I have not yet been to the Mahindra dealer, I'm hoping to look at them and at Kioti tomorrow.

/ I am short... #47  
Martian said:
Welcome goose! and congrats on the new land and house:thumbsup:

I think you didn't have the seat adjusted properly. After all, Kioti's are made in Korea, and Korean's aren't known to be tall:laughing: But, in all seriousness, I've never heard of a 5'7" man having problems fitting in any tractor. Your wife at 5'2" may have a little more trouble, but I would expect her to be able to operate any tractor. I've had a 10 year old kid about 5' running my 85HP 5410, so I can't imagine a compact not working for you.

Kioti's and Kubota's and NH are very good tractors, both have their goods, and bads, but you really have to test them out yourself to see what you like. A lot of a tractor is personal.

As far as size goes, what are some of your main uses. You mention the GL's and DK size, but what do plan to do with it?

Good luck:thumbsup:

This post and Indylan's post prompted me to take one more look at my DK35's seat adjustment. It's always been too high but I was sure it was at the lowest setting because the knob would not turn further.

So yesterday I took another look. It was so stiff it would barely move. But it did move several turns(I was tempted to get a wrench), and now the height is perfect. Perhaps the guy that sets the seat adjuster is the one who installs the filters (those who have changed the factory filters will get it).

All this after having the tractor one year (March 28) and 340 hours!!....DUH!

/ I am short... #48  
Goosegbf,
I live a few miles away from you. Last year I purchased a Cub Cadet Yanmar EX3200 TLB. I researched every make and model of compact tractor in my price range. I have rented and operated a JD110 many times for excavation work on my heavily wooded, steeply sloped, sandy soil property. I received a few quotes from area JD dealers. The JD110 is a superior machine at a superior price. The old addage "you get what you pay for" is applicable. Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss further.
Randy
518-879-9043

/ I am short... #49  
If you can take a look at the LS R series, it will do all that you're asking, and more. One of the few complaints us that the operatir's station coud be roomier, and there's no way you wouldn't be able to run one comfortably. I went with the 47hp hydro version, added alley forks, and was just over $22k.

Here's mine doing some tree/log work:

41C80701-C1E7-489F-B434-C5213323A3BD-1328-0000018B96EB716D_zps476b2db5.jpg

/ I am short... #50  
If you can take a look at the LS R series, it will do all that you're asking, and more. One of the few complaints us that the operatir's station coud be roomier, and there's no way you wouldn't be able to run one comfortably. I went with the 47hp hydro version, added alley forks, and was just over $22k.

Here's mine doing some tree/log work:

41C80701-C1E7-489F-B434-C5213323A3BD-1328-0000018B96EB716D_zps476b2db5.jpg

That's a good looking tractor, I really like the Blue with white wheels. Is it a little cramped for long legs because of the fuel tank pushes the seat a bit forward? I have never sat on one. My Kioti has lots of operator leg room, and I have long legs. How are you getting along with it so far?

James K0UA