Tractor Sizing I am short...

/ I am short... #1  

goosegbf

Hey folks,

I am a tractor newbie. My wife and I recently purchased 17 completely wooded acres in upstate New York. I cleared the lot (without a tractor) where the house is located (~1 acre), we had a house built, and we now are onto the taking care of everything tasks. Hence, the tractor search has commenced in earnest.

So, based on local dealers I am looking at primarily Kioti and Kubota (New Holland is also an option). I drove a Kioti CK35 and a DK40SE this morning and I learned something that I thought I already new. I am short. In this case short means 5'7". When I drove the CK35 I didn't move the seat fully, but I could definitely drive the tractor comfortably, including practice for turning around to snow throw (700' gravel driveway). When I drove the DK40SE however, I had the seat weight all the way dialed down and the seat as low and as far forward as it would go and I still could not comfortably reach the forward/reverse pedals. I had to sit half way forward on the seat. Is this what I can expect if I go up to the DK or grand L size? This seems a tad ridiculous. My wife is only 5'2" and she would also like to be able to drive the tractor.

Anybody have similar experience? Is there a cure other than the rack for us (or blocks ALA Short Round in Indiana Jones)? I am planning on driving the Kubota next weekend.

Thanks for any comments

/ I am short... #2  
Welcome to TBN, I wonder if the tractor was all the way forward on the seat holes?

/ I am short... #3  
Upstate NY and no Massey Dealers nearby...........well I'll be, that's a shocker.

I'm a truck driver and 80% of the tractors I see in upstate NY are Massey's.

Anyway.........Work the seat adjustments on any tractor you look at. If in doubt, get the mechanic out there to help. The salesman may be able to help, but the guy that works on 'em will help more.

/ I am short... #4  
My Bobcat CT230 has a deluxe suspension seat that goes fwd quiet a bit and also has a vertical seat adjustment for your weight.

Bobcats are made by Daedong which also makes Kioti. But the seats are different, that is one of the many differences in the BC vs Kioti.

They are both a dependable rugged machine. Check a BC machine out.

/ I am short... #5  
Welcome goose! and congrats on the new land and house:thumbsup:

I think you didn't have the seat adjusted properly. After all, Kioti's are made in Korea, and Korean's aren't known to be tall:laughing: But, in all seriousness, I've never heard of a 5'7" man having problems fitting in any tractor. Your wife at 5'2" may have a little more trouble, but I would expect her to be able to operate any tractor. I've had a 10 year old kid about 5' running my 85HP 5410, so I can't imagine a compact not working for you.

Kioti's and Kubota's and NH are very good tractors, both have their goods, and bads, but you really have to test them out yourself to see what you like. A lot of a tractor is personal.

As far as size goes, what are some of your main uses. You mention the GL's and DK size, but what do plan to do with it?

Good luck:thumbsup:

/ I am short... #6  
Welcome goose! and congrats on the new land and house:thumbsup:

I think you didn't have the seat adjusted properly. After all, Kioti's are made in Korea, and Korean's aren't known to be tall:laughing: But, in all seriousness, I've never heard of a 5'7" man having problems fitting in any tractor. Your wife at 5'2" may have a little more trouble, but I would expect her to be able to operate any tractor. I've had a 10 year old kid about 5' running my 85HP 5410, so I can't imagine a compact not working for you.

Kioti's and Kubota's and NH are very good tractors, both have their goods, and bads, but you really have to test them out yourself to see what you like. A lot of a tractor is personal.

As far as size goes, what are some of your main uses. You mention the GL's and DK size, but what do plan to do with it?
Good luck:thumbsup:
That is a vey good question.........with 17 completely wooded acres, what are your plans?

/ I am short... #8  
I found the Cub Cadets to be a little "close" in the respect to the operator to wheel/controls. I am kinda big, both fat and tall, with long legs. Just saying if you are a little smaller, you might want to look at one as it might fit you well. You could likely move the DK seat with some new bolt holes if it was all the way forward, or to get to the hydro pedals better, or try that Bobcat mentioned. Of course the CK has the single pedal, that is why you didn't have trouble with it.. My L3400HST is the same way. pedal is closer to the seat so you can put your foot on the top. You just have to set on them and try the adjustments to find something you can live with. I would not think 5' 7" would be much of a problem though. My wife is 5' 8" and she fits on the Kubota just fine. I am thinking maybe the DK seat was not all the way forward? maybe stuck ? Good luck in your search

James K0UA

/ I am short... #9  
You can adjust the DK seats height independently from the spring rate for your weight. So maybe it was up high? Also how the back is setup can effect how the seat feels. I had mine tilted to far back for a while.
I've never tried to see how far forward it goes but I'm 6' and I think I'm near the back of the adjustment.
Also, I have had pretty good success with using a rear blade driving forward for snow, but my driveway doesn't drift and a 1' dump is very rare these days so my neck thanks me I didn't go for a blower. But your conditions may require one. Good luck with the tractor search!

/ I am short... #10  
You can adjust the DK seats height independently from the spring rate for your weight. So maybe it was up high? Also how the back is setup can effect how the seat feels. I had mine tilted to far back for a while.
I've never tried to see how far forward it goes but I'm 6' and I think I'm near the back of the adjustment.
Also, I have had pretty good success with using a rear blade driving forward for snow, but my driveway doesn't drift and a 1' dump is very rare these days so my neck thanks me I didn't go for a blower. But your conditions may require one. Good luck with the tractor search!
Don't forget, if the proper tractor is chosen..........a front mount blower will save neck strain.