Ford 861

/ Ford 861 #1  

Ford861

Tractor
1958 Ford 861
Hi all. My first post here, I've done numerous searches here over the last year as I've been trying to find my first tractor, but never registered till now......this is a great place to get answers.
Anyway, I grew up on a farm. I was the "Cole Trickle" (Days of Thunder) of farming. They told me to get on the tractor and drive, and I could drive. But I was never really required to fix anything, that was my Dad's job. Needless to say I am not a mechanic, but am not scared to dive into something either (with a little help). I moved on to a life other than farming when I was about 23 years old and have been in construction ever since.
After a long and extensive search, I have finally bought my first tractor. A 1958 Ford 861 gas. My budget was limited so the nice and shiney tractors with no leaks and enough HP to pull the 6-8' implements were out. I found the 861 with a Ford loader, bucket, bale spear, and box blade for $2k. I really have no need for the loader and am thinking of taking it off and selling it. Since it's old most of the hoses are cracked and leaking hyd fluid, I hate leaks. Will I regret not having a loader, and how much could I get for it? I am thinking $500-$600? It also does not have PS so the loader, especially with a load makes turning a workout.
Is there anything I should do or make sure of with the tractor itself? As of now, I haven't driven it for more than 20 minutes. It starts and runs great, but has dirt and grime everywhere as the previous owner stated they never washed it.....ever. I know there are a couple minor leaks, but next to impossbile to tell from where until I can get it cleaned up a little. I have ordered all the manuals I can find for it. :thumbsup: Mechanically it seems sound, shifting was effortless and each gear worked, the pto engaged and turned off as it should. The previous owner stated it had regular oil changes every spring. The rear fenders are gone, I'm assuming due to the loader, getting on and off would be really tight with the fenders on. I want fenders so that is another reason to get rid of the loader. ?
If anyone has any tips for the 861 I would appreciate it. I will post some pics when I get it cleaned up a little.
Thanks guys.

Ford861
(John)

/ Ford 861 #2  
The 861 is a great little tractor, I farmed with a 600 and 841, not as good as the 861. I believe you can add power steering, ours had it. I would keep the FEL personally. I can't help much with the other.

Soundguy is a really good source on the old Fords and if he doesn't show up you might PM him.

/ Ford 861 #3  
I have a 861 also and like it but the lack of power steering would be a chore with a loader.

I would keep the loader, you will find yourself wanting it at some point. Fix the hoses with new, they are not that much at TSC or Farm and Fleet. Custom hoses are costly so avoid that. I believe you can get a after market power steering system for the Ford 800 series tractors.

You got a steal on that tractor at $2000.

Chris

/ Ford 861 #4  
Good tractor. You'll want to identify which model loader you have before you put a value on it. I have an 860 with power steering and a 730 loader. It's too useful and too difficult to take off. I can't tell you how often I wish it wasn't on there, though.

Oh yeah....

Welcome!

/ Ford 861 #5  
You got a nice deal for $2K.
Yes, you'll regret not having a loader. I'd fix up the one you have.

Good luck.

/ Ford 861 #6  
I have a 861 also and like it but the lack of power steering would be a chore with a loader.

/ Ford 861
Interesting about the loader opinions.
I should clarify a little. This tractor will be used almost exclusively for "farming" 8-10 acres of food plots I have on some hunting land. Pulling a 6' disk and a 6-8' cultivator, as well as pulling a brush hog mower of some sort.
I do not live on the land and therefore it wont be used for pushing snow, hauling bales, etc. For my use, I can see it possibly being helpful for hauling tools, seed, deer :licking:, etc. but nothing major or that I couldn't do with a 4 wheeler. Also my brother lives 3 miles away, and a buddy lives 1 mile away, they both have smaller loader tractors that I would probably be able to use for things that should come up.
Ease of getting at the motor for different things would also a lot nicer without the loader...........I know, it kind of sounds like I've made up my mind on it.
Thanks for the reply's guys.

/ Ford 861
OH, and I am going to look into adding PS as well...........

/ Ford 861 #9  
Having a similar tractor (mf35) I can tell you spend your time adding ps to this tractor. you will find all kinds of uses for the loader.. I dont know how i got along without mine, its a power wheelbarrow, carry all, mini dozer, pusher-over, all wrapped into one

The dirt is holding the oil so dont remove it might be uglier without it... Got any pictures????

/ Ford 861 #10  
I have a '58 861 also. As others have said if you want to keep the loader, you can add power steering. You are probably looking at around $1100 to add this feature. There may be a cheaper solution since I have not looked in a while.

I don't know what all you plan to do with your tractor. It is a good plowing tractor. I think it is rated to pull up to 3-14's as far as a bottom plow but I would recommend no more than 2-14 or 16's. It will also pull a 6' 3pt disk, and a 6' bush hog (rotary cutter).

I would not recommend using a tiller with it because the ground speed is too fast even in 1st gear.

If you plan to tune it up I would suggest using Autolite 437 spark plugs. You can change out the points for electronic ignition. I had this idea once until I priced it. You can buy several sets of points for the cost of the electronic.

Your tractor has a 172ci engine which produces 48hp engine and 41hp at the pto.

Good luck and enjoy it.