Hydro vs Geared

/ Hydro vs Geared #51  
Sounds like that garden tractor system didn't have a relief valve.. or it was improperly set...

As for longevity.. at the 50 year point. The big thing I see is that metal is gonna have a better chance of still being there in 50 years.. as opposed to some oring. I'm skepticle myself about how long a hydro will run without a rebuild v.s how long a gear will run without a rebuild.. perhaps we can get some insight from some of the cubs with hydrs'.. what vintage are these? 70's.. still a long way to go begore they hit the 50 year mark.

I do know one thing.. My stepfathers JD 2040 with indepentent pto , the pto gave out du to an oring leak... was 700 in parts by the time we got it tore down, replaced the seals, and put new friction material in ( just because it was already open ).... I would rather have a 2 stage clutch like my 1920 does... seems it would be easier to fix than the indepentent pto setup...

just my .02$

Soundguy

/ Hydro vs Geared #52  
Hello Everyone,

Well I feel like I got to jump in cause I have had bit of "experience" with a hydro tranny on my Ford LGT145 for the last 15 years or so /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif This LGT145 is a ~14HP garden tractor and have the MMM, Tiller, Front Blade, various hand made gardening implements, trailler and use to have a snowblower. Most of what I do with this tractor is lawn mowing gardening, snow plowing and hauling stuff like wood, rocks with a trailer. The gardening work is probably the thoughest jobs for the tractor . I also am loading up that trailer pretty much to it's capcity and never had any problem pulling it (except when running out of traction /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
The LGT145 dates from the mid 70s (72-74). It has a two range hydro trans which works with two pedals that are linked like the kubota BX series. During the years, the transmission was changed onced ( I still have the old tranny around somewhere). In the last 10 years we had no problems with the new trany. The hydraulic system has been reworked cause of a failling cylinder. I have always considered this tractor ahead of it's time because of it's trany. Mowing is just a blast.
I'm no mechanic so the maintenance I do on this troctor is very basic.
I'm consedering that it has been a though little tractor for all these years. My neigbhoors have been buying tractor after tractor for years now. We still used this old trusty Ford! (Althought now I'm looking for a bigger machine /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
For me hydro is just plain and simple what I need!

Sylvain

/ Hydro vs Geared #53  
I could be talked into selling it. It doesn't run. It's been sitting out by the barn since I rolled it off the ramps. I was going to take it back to a dealer that screwed up the rebuild. I've since decided to stay away from the dealer and bad mouth him like everyone else I've met. They also defrauded me on repairing a walk behind Gravely.

FWIW, I don't recommend the JD dealer in Fairmont, WV. Folks will buy from them and then after the first repair experience go elsewhere.

/ Hydro vs Geared #54  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The LGT145 dates from the mid 70s (72-74). .... During the years, the transmission was changed onced )</font>

Well.. 2 trannies on this unit already... Not sure if that is really a 'plus' message for the hydro's... Anyone else have vintage hydros?

Soundguy

/ Hydro vs Geared #55  
I'll just give you my $0.02 since I own a L3000DT. First I went through the same thought process as you, gear versus hydro, since I have about the same land that you have. To make the final decision, I listed all the tasks I envisioned doing with the tractor and at the top of the list was pasture mowing. For me, pasture mowing is the one task I would spend the most time doing, so the easy choice was a geared tractor. I figured I'd mostly be going in one direction while mowing and not having to make gear changes while doing so.

All in all the decision comes down to what works for you and your situation. For me, geared was the way to go. Do I wish I had a hydro? I've not given it a second thought. Good luck in your decision.

Phil