R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels!

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #1  

rockyridgefarm

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YT347
I ordered R4s with my tractor. Then I really read the owners manual. It turns out that R4 wheels don't allow the width adjustments that R1s do. (at least, everywhere I have looked)

My tractor came in with R1s (whew, I was glad!) But they look more like R4s than other Ag tires I have seen. A friend tells me they are offering some that are more like the R4s. They are still 4 ply rated (as opposed to 6 on R4)

For me, the R1's get me what I want (I never would have considered the Industrial tires, if I had known about the width issue) I can get heavier R1s later if I want to.

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #2  
<font color="blue"> It turns out that R4 wheels don't allow the width adjustments that R1s do. </font>

I'm confused here (happens a lot /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif). I have R4s and can adjust the wheels just fine. I've never tried to put them in the "narrow" configuration - is that what you're referring to?

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #3  
rockyridgefarm: I don't think the adjustment issue relates (at least directly) to the tires (R1, R4 etc) but rather to the wheel disk on which they are mounted. There is some blurring between the tires in recent years. Example: The disks that come with Mahindra R4 offer little/no adjustment (rears) while similar sized NH are adjustable. Front 4wd offer little/no adjustment while 2wd do. And so forth. The R4s are wider so less adjustment range in any event. Don't know that adjustment that important, depending on what you are going to do with it. For cultivation, adjustment very helpful to adjust to row width. For other uses, less helpful. JEH

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #4  
My R4's have two "settings", due to the offset built into the wheel: Dished in & Dished out. Good for a few inchs difference. Never tried the narrow setting. It is annoying that the valve stems are on the inside for the wide setting /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #5  
The R-4s on my 4300 can be installed in two diffrent positions. The difference in width between the "narrow" and "wide" position is only about 2" though. The outside to outside width on the rear tires in the wide position in 59 3/4". At least on the JDs the R-1s do give alot more width options than the R-4s do.

/ R4 vs R1 - Look at the wheels! #6  
How difficult is it to change from wide back to narrow position? I ordered my R4s in the wide position and was wondering how much work it would be to set to narrow if the need arrises. By the way, my B7500 R4 tires are loaded.

Ken