HORSE Power

/ HORSE Power #11  
Whenever you imagine replacing a horse with a small engine you have to remember the engine peaks at a much lower number than the horse. As stated earlier, a horse might put out 14 HP for a few seconds but a 1 HP engine will not do that. Also, the engine's power must be fed through a transmission system with gears, belts and/or pumping losses that add up to a significant parasitic loss.
But in the long run, over a period of time, the engine crankshaft HP and the horse must be approximately the same. But is it equal to a Clydesdale, an Arabian or a Shetland pony? :D

/ HORSE Power #12  
Also don't confuse horsepower with traction.. as in the example of 2 horses pulling an 8N backwards.. The horses have better traction than the 8N typically will have. but now put cog wheels on the 8N. perhaps put another final drive gear reduction on the 8N. and run it on a cog track. Now the 8N will pull several horses backwards or pull them in two. All the horsepower in the world wont do a bit of good unless you can apply it and operate the engine in its powerband. And by the way its almost 3db of change before most people can really notice it. But a 10db change is considered pretty large by most people. Example start with 1 watt of power, 3db increase =2 watts. 6db increase =4 watts. 10db increase =10 watts. 20db increase =100 watts 30 db increase =1000 watts.

James K0UA

/ HORSE Power #13  
I know I am pretty spoiled just having to put in a little deisel and routine maintenace than feed, groom and clean a stable full (I would never get anything done):laughing:

/ HORSE Power #14  
I know I am pretty spoiled just having to put in a little deisel and routine maintenace than feed, groom and clean a stable full (I would never get anything done):laughing:

My barn here used to have a third of the stable dedicated to stalls for the horses used on the farm. Probably a quarter of the feed they worked so hard to put in the barn went to feeding aformentioned horses so that they could feed the cattle that made them the money. Yeah, I'd far rather drive past the diesel tank and be done with it.

/ HORSE Power #15  
Also don't confuse horsepower with traction.. as in the example of 2 horses pulling an 8N backwards.. The horses have better traction than the 8N typically will have. but now put cog wheels on the 8N. perhaps put another final drive gear reduction on the 8N. and run it on a cog track. Now the 8N will pull several horses backwards or pull them in two. All the horsepower in the world wont do a bit of good unless you can apply it and operate the engine in its powerband. And by the way its almost 3db of change before most people can really notice it. But a 10db change is considered pretty large by most people. Example start with 1 watt of power, 3db increase =2 watts. 6db increase =4 watts. 10db increase =10 watts. 20db increase =100 watts 30 db increase =1000 watts.

James K0UA

I agree that traction makes all the difference in the world and given the right circumstances the tractor would most likely win but thought the sight of two draft horses winning against a tractor was just too cool to imagine otherwise. :cool:

I can't help it, I like horses. :)

/ HORSE Power
I once saw an Amish farmer with a 4 horse team pulling a loaded manure spreader at a canter. They didn't appear to be having any problems with the load. I know I couldn't have done it with my 45 hp 4wd machine.
I wondered how much time was spent just tacking up that team.

/ HORSE Power #17  
When I was young I spent some time on a farm in Five Islands, Nova Scotia. The farmer wanted to build a log sugar shack near a dirt road through an area that was dense with conifers. He had a large horse that he hitched to pull tree logs that we felled out of the these woods to the clearing where the cabin was being built. The ground of woods there was a sort of big interlocking jumble of tree trunks that had fallen every which way, in various states of decay, and covered with moss. A real challenge to walk over. I don't think a wheeled vehicle could have got any traction in that mess, even if it could have kept upright. The horse didn't seem to have any problem other than occaisionally getting the butt of a log hung up on something. Really impressed me as to what you could accomplish with 1hp.

/ HORSE Power #18  
This thread is educational :)

I noticed some one said have 2 horse hook to an 8n. How about a crotch rocket hooking to an 8n, 20+hp compared to over 100hp bet the tractor would win. Traction gearing weight engine speed all have influence.

/ HORSE Power #20