HORSE Power

/ HORSE Power #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
I've always wondered how much power a horse can really generate. I've been around a bunch of horses and mules and if they don't want to do what you would like they can throw you around like a rag doll.
I was trying to get an 18 hand draft mule out of his stable one day and he wasn't having it. He got a hold on the shoulder of my Carhardt coat and picked me 3 feet off the ground. I have seen stall dividers made of Oak 2x12's turned into splinters with one strike of a rear hoof.
25 hp-35 hp?

/ HORSE Power #2  
1 horse = 1hp... that is the definition....been that way since the begining.

In 1993, R. D. Stevenson and R. J. Wassersug published an article calculating the upper limit to an animal's power output. The peak power over a few seconds has been measured to be as high as 14.9 hp. However, Stevenson and Wassersug observe that for sustained activity, a work rate of about 1 hp per horse is consistent with agricultural advice from both 19th and 20th century sources. (wikipedia)

/ HORSE Power #3  
Horse power, torque, and the decibel share something in common. Everybody thinks they know what these units of measure are but few can really explain any of them.

A simple explanation of HP and torque is this: torque is the amount of twist being applied and HP is how fast the twist can be applied.

If you would like more information, I've attached a good read on HP and torque, it is five pages but defines these without the big engineering words.

Oh yea, the decibel (db), well a decibel is 1/10 of a bell and a bell is unit of power measurement. 1db is a little more and 3db is twice as much, bells are logarithmic.

Attachments

• Torque and Horsepower.pdf
    30.4 KB · Views: 135
   / HORSE Power #4  
well i have a 2 horse team that can pull my fully loaded manure spreader up a hill with very little effort. Id like to see a 2HP motor do that. wont happen. My 2-1/2 HP Emglo motor barely powers my compressor.

Attachments

• manure 3 smal.jpg
    manure 3 smal.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 291
  • spreader 11.jpg
    spreader 11.jpg
    502 KB · Views: 492
   / HORSE Power #5  
well i have a 2 horse team that can pull my fully loaded manure spreader up a hill with very little effort. Id like to see a 2HP motor do that. wont happen. My 2-1/2 HP Emglo motor barely powers my compressor.

All you need is a conveyor belt and you'd have your own mobile manure production and distribution facility. :laughing:

/ HORSE Power #6  
The have to spread their own manure....hehe

makes them think twice about pooping....... not:licking:

/ HORSE Power #7  
Horse power, torque, and the decibel share something in common. Everybody thinks they know what these units of measure are but few can really explain any of them.

A simple explanation of HP and torque is this: torque is the amount of twist being applied and HP is how fast the twist can be applied.

If you would like more information, I've attached a good read on HP and torque, it is five pages but defines these without the big engineering words.

Oh yea, the decibel (db), well a decibel is 1/10 of a bell and a bell is unit of power measurement. 1db is a little more and 3db is twice as much, bells are logarithmic.

Monster a man after my own heart! 30 years running dynos for GM and 4 for Chryslers before that you took the words right out of my laptop.:D

/ HORSE Power #8  
Well, lets see. Hook up two horsepower to the back of an 8 N and the only direction it's gona go is where the two horse power are going.:thumbsup:

/ HORSE Power #9  
Well, lets see. Hook up two horsepower to the back of an 8 N and the only direction it's gona go is where the two horse power are going.:thumbsup:

I'm no expert but it seems to me that it would take a pretty big tractor to pull as much dead weight as the horses in the following video (part 1 of 3) are pulling so yea, I could see two of them easily pulling an 8N wherever they wanted it to go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9amqC6c1M]2010 Brethren Horse Pull Part 1 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

/ HORSE Power #10  
Long ago in my college physics class lab we all had to calculate how much HP we generated sprinting up one flight of stairs. My lab partner weighed about 155 pounds and was a bit faster than me (125 pounds). He generated a bit over one HP and I put out about .8 HP. But we could only do that for a matter of seconds.