Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader

Default HORSE Power

I've always wondered how much power a horse can really generate. I've been around a bunch of horses and mules and if they don't want to do what you would like they can throw you around like a rag doll.
    I was trying to get an 18 hand draft mule out of his stable one day and he wasn't having it. He got a hold on the shoulder of my Carhardt coat and picked me 3 feet off the ground. I have seen stall dividers made of Oak 2x12's turned into splinters with one strike of a rear hoof.
    25 hp-35 hp?
    Gear Up and Throttle Down.

2011 Massey 2615, 7ft Woods Rear Discharge Finish Mower, 6 ft Lucknow Snow Blower, Danuser post hole digger with 12" and 24" augers, 350 lb 3 pt broadcast spreader, 7ft scraper blade, 7 ft. drag harrow, JD GT 275 rider with 38" snow blower attachment.

Silver Member
    Manitoba, Canada / Minnesota, USA ( I straddle the border)
    Tractor
    '12 Kubota B2620, fel,mmm,bh,bb

Default Re: HORSE Power

1 horse = 1hp... that is the definition....been that way since the begining.

In 1993, R. D. Stevenson and R. J. Wassersug published an article calculating the upper limit to an animal's power output. The peak power over a few seconds has been measured to be as high as 14.9 hp. However, Stevenson and Wassersug observe that for sustained activity, a work rate of about 1 hp per horse is consistent with agricultural advice from both 19th and 20th century sources. (wikipedia)

Tractor
    Kubota B3030 R4 Tires

Horse power, torque, and the decibel share something in common. Everybody thinks they know what these units of measure are but few can really explain any of them.

A simple explanation of HP and torque is this: torque is the amount of twist being applied and HP is how fast the twist can be applied.

If you would like more information, I've attached a good read on HP and torque, it is five pages but defines these without the big engineering words.

Oh yea, the decibel (db), well a decibel is 1/10 of a bell and a bell is unit of power measurement. 1db is a little more and 3db is twice as much, bells are logarithmic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Bob, n8zcc

Kubota B3030 with R4s
    LA403, 60" bucket with hooks, bolt-on tooth bar, ratchet rake
    BH76 with 16" bucket and thumb
    Kubota Pallet Folks
    Bush Hog 35-06 72" Rear Blade
    Bush Hog SBX60 Box Blade
    Bush Hog Razorback RZ160
    Kubota ZD323-60
    Kubota RTV900 with Curtis hydraulic angle plow

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

well i have a 2 horse team that can pull my fully loaded manure spreader up a hill with very little effort. Id like to see a 2HP motor do that. wont happen. My 2-1/2 HP Emglo motor barely powers my compressor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HORSE Power-manure-3-smal.jpg   HORSE Power-spreader-11.jpg  
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by grsthegreat View Post
    well i have a 2 horse team that can pull my fully loaded manure spreader up a hill with very little effort. Id like to see a 2HP motor do that. wont happen. My 2-1/2 HP Emglo motor barely powers my compressor.
    All you need is a conveyor belt and you'd have your own mobile manure production and distribution facility.

Tractor
    dk45se hst cab

The have to spread their own manure....hehe

makes them think twice about pooping....... not
    currently own
    2011 Kioti DK45SE HST CAB tractor/loader, Jimna 6" - 3 point wood chipper, 60" JD Brush Hog, JD 60" Rototiller, 3 point post hole digger with hydraulic assist, 3 point spring tooth rake, Fimco 55 gallon weed sprayer with 12 foot boom, 3 point hydraulic wood splitter (home built)
    Quick Attach 79" loader mount snowblower & rear powerpack
    Quick Attach 84" Snow Blade
    Quick Attach 42" pallet forks

Tractor
    Kubota BX24, Cub Cadet LTX1050, JD 120

Quote Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
    Horse power, torque, and the decibel share something in common. Everybody thinks they know what these units of measure are but few can really explain any of them.

A simple explanation of HP and torque is this: torque is the amount of twist being applied and HP is how fast the twist can be applied.

If you would like more information, I've attached a good read on HP and torque, it is five pages but defines these without the big engineering words.

Oh yea, the decibel (db), well a decibel is 1/10 of a bell and a bell is unit of power measurement. 1db is a little more and 3db is twice as much, bells are logarithmic.
    Monster a man after my own heart! 30 years running dynos for GM and 4 for Chryslers before that you took the words right out of my laptop.

Well, lets see. Hook up two horsepower to the back of an 8 N and the only direction it's gona go is where the two horse power are going.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Elite Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Egon View Post
    Well, lets see. Hook up two horsepower to the back of an 8 N and the only direction it's gona go is where the two horse power are going.
    I'm no expert but it seems to me that it would take a pretty big tractor to pull as much dead weight as the horses in the following video (part 1 of 3) are pulling so yea, I could see two of them easily pulling an 8N wherever they wanted it to go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9amqC6c1M]2010 Brethren Horse Pull Part 1 of 3 - YouTube[/ame]

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Deere 4100

Long ago in my college physics class lab we all had to calculate how much HP we generated sprinting up one flight of stairs. My lab partner weighed about 155 pounds and was a bit faster than me (125 pounds). He generated a bit over one HP and I put out about .8 HP. But we could only do that for a matter of seconds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast