Tractor Sizing Kubota 3800 and JD3038E

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #1  

New2NC

Tractor
Looking to buy
I have been reading and learning a lot from all these posts and have decided to ask you all to add your two cents. (I love that phrase because it seems like you are undervaluing your experience and opinions!)

There was a recent post comparing the Kubota 3800 and the JD3038E and questioning the validity of the 2K price difference between them. I am also down to these two choices but my question is not so much about which brand is better but trying to determine what is an appropriate size for my needs. I don't want to buy "too much tractor" or kick myself later for skimping on the purchase. You all have convinced me that I can't go wrong with either one.

I am recently retired, so have lots of time to devote to the new 15 acres we bought in NC. It is rough land, perhaps a former tobacco farm many years ago. It has been brush hogged several times so I can see the contours of the land. It is relatively flat, a little bit rolling with some trees, but not really forested. A lot of old piles of brush have been overgrown with thistle and invasives.

Given all that, the tractors are comparable in HP but the Kubota is a heavier and bigger machine. I have driven them both and feel comfortable on each. Also plan to get the FEL and a 5' brush cutter. Since I am a newbie, I will be proceeding cautiously as I learn how to use the powerful machine. I will say I have a healthy fear/respect of the power of a tractor (the way I do for the power of the ocean.)

The big unknown here is what I suspect you are asking yourself: what are we going to do with the land? Just not 100% sure, which is why I am wondering if we should plan to grow into the tractor or assume that either one can do the trick. We want to clear some of the old piles and perhaps plant hay, or create beautiful pastures to enjoy. Or something else.

I like both dealers and they are the same distance from me. There is a price difference, say $1,300 more for the Kubota. But again, if it will better suit my needs, so be it. Any wisdom you would like to impart? Thanks in advance for your help.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #2  
For 15 acres, mostly cleared...I think you'll want something bigger then a 5' cutter (more like 10'-15') if you plan on keeping the property cleared.

I suggest you give serious thought to what you expect to do with the property and what you can afford to do. My guess is you'll end up buying a used full sized utility machine.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #3  
I think a Kubota L3800 would be a good size. It has a few quirks, but is a more proven machine than the JD 3038e. (I'm not biased, we have 3 Deere's and 3 Kubota's on our farms.)

As to your question of size, either of those should be plenty to manage 15ac. A 5' bush hog is fine, you could mow all that in a day with a 5 footer if it isn't really tough going. No way you need a 10-15' bush hog as mentioned previously. You're looking at a 60-100hp tractor to power those, which is way overkill for what you are describing.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #4  
No way you need a 10-15' bush hog as mentioned previously. You're looking at a 60-100hp tractor to power those, which is way overkill for what you are describing.

There ya go...two diametrically opposed opinons!!!

Give him something to thing about, anyway...

However, I see no way a 5' cutter could do 15 acres in a day...maybe two days (at best), if the brush is low and the land is flat so you could use a higher gear. Heck, takes me 4-6 hours to cut 3 acres (which are pretty uneven and rutty) at a safe speed.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E
Interesting already! Two different guys cut the property in the past: one used a 5' and the other a 6'. Both worked but because there are enough trees to cut around, they agreed that the maneuverabilty of the 5' made it more practical.

I should also clarify that I do not view myself as a farmer....don't have those skills, sadly. If we do anything like planting hay, we would likely employ the expertise and machinery of our local farmers/neighbors.

Realistically I do not see myself able to handle a bigger machine, as Roy suggested. But thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #6  
Realistically I do not see myself able to handle a bigger machine, as Roy suggested. But thanks for the vote of confidence!!!

Bigger machines are just like smaller machines....just more steps to climb up to the operator's station....
(that was a joke, BTW)

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #7  
Look at the loader capacities. The kubota may have more. When I was looking the John Deere E series did not have a removable loader and did not have a backhoe option, but that was the 3032e. Those two items may not be a big deal for you though. I want to say the E series will not have as many options for you down the road.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #8  
Just for what it's worth, but don't get too hung up on acreage, concentrate more on what tasks you wish to accomplish, whether they will be one time or ongoing.

Yes acreage can be a significant consideration if you are looking at mowing a lot or a little or mowing frequently or only two or three times a year. FEL lift capacity may or may not be a big deal and HP may or may not be, all depends on what you are going to do and how much time you have to do it in.

I tend to prefer more weight and power, so I would be looking at a bit larger, more powerful tractor. We like our L5030 and while I thought I might be overbuying at the time sure wasn't; not saying that's what you need.

Roy was kidding, sort of. We have tractors from 23 to 85 HP and my wife is as comfortable on our 5030 as she is on "her" BX2660. I am going to teach her how to operate our M8540 this summer and let her get use to it as I fear my tractor driving days are numbered.

I grew up on tractors, but my wife didn't have any experience with them until a few years ago, well with the exception of the BX. Just take your time, go slow, be careful and you will be surprised at how quickly you can become comfortable on a tractor.

Initially climbing up on a bigger tractor can be intimidating, but you can pack quite a bit more weight and power into a tractor not much bigger than the 3800.

I don't know much about either tractor other than one is green and one is orange, so I can't help you there, just take your time, read some posts of people with experience on them, maybe rent one or something similar for a weekend and get a baseline for comparison.

As mentioned, we have several tractors, but sometimes, we just get someone with the right equipment for a one time job or rent it.

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #9  
You're retire, you have time, I use a 5' cutter for cutting 12 acres for a pretty long day but I'm doing some steep hills which my tractor slows down to a crawl - I have no problem with going slow on the hills. I'm not in a rush.

Whichever tractor you get, I would get a grapple, too. I went with the L2800 and put a grapple and hydraulics and it's very useful tool. If you can afford the extra 5 hp after the grapple, then go for it!

/ Kubota 3800 and JD3038E #10  
Just for what it's worth, but don't get too hung up on acreage, concentrate more on what tasks you wish to accomplish, whether they will be one time or ongoing...

That was a good post, TripleR!