Price Check Price Check John Deere 870 w/440fel

/ Price Check John Deere 870 w/440fel #1  

mach1mason

Tractor
John Deere 2520 CUT
I looking at the following tractor on the net, what do you guys think about the price and possible issues with this model/year tractor.
Thanks for any advise.

Asking Price: $10,500
1997 john deere 870 w/440 fel quick attach/detach
484 hours
MFDW drive
Of course sellers states garage stores, residiential use, second owner, well maintained. i dont know what other options the tracker has.

/ Price Check John Deere 870 w/440fel #2  
Used to own one and it was bullet proof. Made by Yanmar and should last a long time. Have you looked at it? The only problem would be the battery tray rusting out. Also check to see if the paint on tach drive cable shows that it has been unscrewed from the alternator. It is very easy to disconnect the hour meter and seems like low hours for a 15 year old tractor. Seems a little pricey but I haven't seen one in a while.

/ Price Check John Deere 870 w/440fel #3  
I looking at the following tractor on the net, what do you guys think about the price and possible issues with this model/year tractor.
Thanks for any advise.

Asking Price: $10,500
1997 john deere 870 w/440 fel quick attach/detach
484 hours
MFDW drive
Of course sellers states garage stores, residiential use, second owner, well maintained. i dont know what other options the tracker has.

I used to own the next size in the JD lineup - the JD970. Very solid machines!

Purchased the tractor in '05 and it was a 1994 model with just over 600 hours. (Trying to get an idea of hours/year and if the 870 you're considering might have too few hours that you'd expect with homeowner use...)

Check the clutch and the pto. These tractors have a 2-stage dry clutch. 1st stage engages the pto at about 3 inches depressed clutch pedal. The 2nd stage shifts the transmission - at full down stop on the clutch pedal.

If the tractor has been allowed to sit for extended periods of time, the clutch plate can stick on the flywheel - light film of rust is enough to adhese the plate to the flywheel. Generally, it's an easy fix, though.

Transmission in 7th-8th-9th gear @ idle or just above idle; tractor bucket at base of a tree - start engine in gear - engine stalls. Once or twice and the clutch should be free.

AKfish