Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    1958 Ford 961 Powermaster

Will your wife be operating the tractor also? Go spend lots of time operating all the models you are considering and one or two might drop out because they don't "fit". There are a lot of good tractors out there so I won't try to sway you to a certain brand. Talk to some local farmers and see which dealer has the best reputation, a good dealer is priceless.
    Kubota L5240 with loader and backhoe

1958 Ford 961 Powermaster LP

Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: New tractor purchase, need advice...

Quote Originally Posted by J Coop View Post
    If you are thinking kubota the L series has less bells and whistles but tractor is built a little heavier than the B series. The B does have mid pto. The other things are, really just fluff.
    Are you are talking about the "standard" L series or the grand L series???
    Kyle - CompactTractorFan

Kubota BX25 w/R4's (23 hp, 17.7 PTO hp), Loader, Backhoe, 60" Mid Mount Mower, Cyclone Rake Z-10 Lawn Vacuum, CountyLine Carryall, Ferris 48" Walk-Behind Mower, Honda 21" Walk-Behind Mower, Mighty Mac 4" Chipper/Shredder,
    2000 Dodge Intrepid, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost

Tractor
    2012 L3200 Kubota

Standard. Grand L is larger machines

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Deere

Quote Originally Posted by J Coop View Post
    Standard. Grand L is larger machines
    I think your confused. The B series is much smaller than the L or Grand L. The 3x40 and 4x40 are very similar to the std. L with more accessories, the 4x40 and 5x40 are more similar to the MX line. The B's are much smaller than either though.

Tractor
    John Deere 3520

Hi folks,

Thanks so much for the feedback. I should have mentioned, I own an older; however, very nice MF 175. This unit handles much of the heavy work, such as rough cut mowing, etc. The new tractor will get much more use, but will also be responsible for some landscaping, driveway tune-ups, irrigation duties, etc. I like the idea of the mid-mount PTO for a belly mower, but also for a front blower attachment. I believe 30 hp will handle all that I want, and them some. If I need more, I'll have to fire up the 175.

I've all but ruled out the JD. I like the idea of removing the loader easily, even though it will be on it most of the time. I'm planning on riding the kubota, Mahindra, New Holland, Bobcat, and JD this week. I'll relay what I come up with. Thanks again for the knowledge, it's greatly appreciated!

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

a 175 is a nice tractor!

Tractor
    John Deere 3520

Quote Originally Posted by wmonroe View Post
    Will your wife be operating the tractor also? Go spend lots of time operating all the models you are considering and one or two might drop out because they don't "fit". There are a lot of good tractors out there so I won't try to sway you to a certain brand. Talk to some local farmers and see which dealer has the best reputation, a good dealer is priceless.
    I will be the primary user, if my wife ends up on it, surely a homeowners claim will follow. She has no interest, and I have no interest for her to be on it.

This is a good point, I had not considered the comfort and ergos. I'm typically glad to be off my 175 at the end of the day; I'd like to believe the new tractor will be accomodating. Thanks for the tips!

-James

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    KIOTI DK50 HST

JRM, I know in my case I learned everything I could about the tractors then started talking to the dealers. You will know real quick wich ones are lying to you. I do sales and design for a living and you get a feeling real quick with most sales people. I really liked the JD but at 13k more it was not realistic. My 2 final picks were the kubota and the Kioti. Look at the features and the specs. Then ask opinions of people that own the units you are looking at. Filter out the garbage and the brand loyalty crap and make a decision. If a dealer blatantly knocks another brand without proof I walk out the door. I am going to be using my FEL hard and the Kioti, Kubota and Deere were some of the best. The Bobcat loader was very good also and I know the tractor is a Kioti but they were also 10K higher in price. If you can find one at a good price keep that option open also. CJ
    Kioti DK50HST Cab
    401 FEL
    Saws, 338xp,346xp mod,372xp mod, 390xp, Stihl combi 130 trimmer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12