Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34
  1. #21
    Elite Member Don87's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4,226
    Location
    SW Pa.
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    In that case, I wouldn't buy one unless it was off the dealers lot or my dealer signed something that said I will work on this thing till its right. I would not accept a tractor that jerked like some of them do.
    Heres one where the owner did his own fix:



    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...y-3-point.html
    Don

    MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

  2. #22
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,649
    Location
    Piedmont, NC
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 & BX2230, Farmall Super M, Super A

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Quote Originally Posted by New2NC View Post
    Trying to decide on two tractors and the weight is a big question for me. Practically and operationally speaking, how big a difference does almost 600 lbs. make when using a 37 HP tractor with a FEL? Main uses would be brush cutting rough 15 acres, moving logs, gravel road maintenance, large garden management.
    Good input from others. The job you have that benefits from more weight is "moving logs"; although a heavier, larger machine might work more efficiently with the other tasks, those jobs would be done acceptably by either tractor you're considering. Regarding logs, a lot depends on the circumstances. Large diameter or smaller? Carry with FEL or pull? In the woods or open ground? How many/how often? Either tractor can do this work; a bigger/heavier tractor can handle more and larger material.

  3. #23
    Elite Member foreman Etexas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,754
    Location
    texas
    Tractor
    kubota M7040 &m7040

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    The 3520 would spec more similarly, but it's a comfort tractor, and the price will be much higher than a std. L. Personally, price aside, the std L series is much nicer than the 303xe series tractors. If you can afford the extra thousand or two the L usually cost, than it would be the way to go.
    Or a Grand L series kubota 3240/3540 if you have that extra $$$.
    They still havent got them jerky L3800 fixed in 2012?
    If you get loaded tires on either should be fine,if not just put a boxblade or something on back.If its the front put something in the bucket,dont go and throw a bunch of un-needed weight on there,so you make ruts while trying to mow the pasture.
    If you have big logs may have to cut down to size that fits the tractors limits,if you dont wonna cut the log down then get a BIGger Tractor.....
    Last edited by foreman Etexas; 02-19-2012 at 04:58 PM.

  4. #24
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Quote Originally Posted by foreman Etexas View Post
    Or a Grand L series kubota 3240/3540 if you have that extra $$$.
    They still havent got them jerky L3800 fixed in 2012?
    What I was implying, but since the topic had already been discussed in the OP's previous thread I didn't get to deep into it.

  5. #25
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    Location
    Kansas...USA
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620 (2012)

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    When comparing similiarly specified tractors (which might be hard to do), does the heavier one imply that it has more and better hardware? Or does it simply mean that the lighter one was designed differently and not of less quality? Boy, an ordinary person could go crazy thinking about this stuff. If just adding weight to the lighter one (e.g.filled tires) was the answer, that settles it. But then weight could also be added to the heavier one too and it would still come out as the better one. I've got a BX and wish that I had a TALLER one. But that's not apples and apples.
    Kubota B2620 HST

  6. #26
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    6,225
    Location
    central New York
    Tractor
    all makes and models

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    The tractor weight is important to getting certain jobs done such as loader work. I like to look at what the tractor is used for primarily to find the best way to ballast as well as where to put the weight so buying a tractor with to much weight that is not removeable can be an issue.

    Look at what you will be using the tractor for the most and where you will be putting the most hours on for your options as well.
    Many look at the loader work as a large task but after the heavy work is done, what gets the most hours? To have a heavy or well weighted tractor out mowing can be a disadvantage to the owner from the aspect of fuel useage alone! Other things that enter in would be soil compaction and ride.

  7. #27
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    329
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE Hst

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Also, think about backhoe work. You want a heavy tractor to absorb the movement of the hoe. Otherwise your tractor moves all over the place.
    Kioti DK45SE HST w/ backhoe, forks, PHD, box blade, chipper. Living off-grid, Listeroid 6/1 backup, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775
    "The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

  8. #28
    Elite Member
    Advertiser
    MtnViewRanch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    7,624
    Location
    4000\' mountains of Southern California
    Tractor
    Mahindra 7520, Mahindra 3215HST, Case 580 extendahoe, Case 310 dozer, Parsons trencher, Cat D6,

    Default Re: Is Tractor Weight Important?

    Quote Originally Posted by art View Post
    The tractor weight is important to getting certain jobs done such as loader work. I like to look at what the tractor is used for primarily to find the best way to ballast as well as where to put the weight so buying a tractor with to much weight that is not removeable can be an issue.

    Look at what you will be using the tractor for the most and where you will be putting the most hours on for your options as well.
    Many look at the loader work as a large task but after the heavy work is done, what gets the most hours? To have a heavy or well weighted tractor out mowing can be a disadvantage to the owner from the aspect of fuel useage alone! Other things that enter in would be soil compaction and ride.
    Art, you always say that ballast makes the tractor ride worse. I have found just the opposite, that with fluid in the tires the tractor is by far smoother, especially when going over rough terrain. As far as fuel consumption, if the small increase actually affects the pocket book of those of us that use our tractor for 200 hours or less per year, then that person probably shouldn't have a tractor anyway. Most of us on TBN are not making a living with our tractors and so much of the stuff that is talked about is really only a concern for those few that are using their machines for 1000+ hours a year, year after year. Very common for it to be said don't do this or don't do that, you will wear your tractor out faster. How much faster, 10%, 15%, I'll be dead and gone before the tractor wears out even at the accelerated rate.

    We on TBN are real good about making issues out of what are really none issues, stuff that the majority of us simply should not be concerned with. Myself included.
    Brian
    Top and Tilt Kits by Fit Rite Hydraulics

  9. #29
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MtnViewRanch

    Art, you always say that ballast makes the tractor ride worse. I have found just the opposite, that with fluid in the tires the tractor is by far smoother, especially when going over rough terrain. As far as fuel consumption, if the small increase actually affects the pocket book of those of us that use our tractor for 200 hours or less per year, then that person probably shouldn't have a tractor anyway. Most of us on TBN are not making a living with our tractors and so much of the stuff that is talked about is really only a concern for those few that are using their machines for 1000+ hours a year, year after year. Very common for it to be said don't do this or don't do that, you will wear your tractor out faster. How much faster, 10%, 15%, I'll be dead and gone before the tractor wears out even at the accelerated rate.

    We on TBN are real good about making issues out of what are really none issues, stuff that the majority of us simply should not be concerned with. Myself included.
    Agree 100%. Would've said the exact same thing, but to much to type on the phone.

  10. #30
    Platinum Member pjbci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    712
    Location
    Summit. Ms
    Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian

    Agree 100%. Would've said the exact same thing, but to much to type on the phone.
    Me too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Most important hydraulic functions in the 110
    By Martian in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 02-18-2012, 09:14 PM
  2. Important! Engine Failure for BX24 and BX2350 owners?
    By samofsweden in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM
  3. Important reading for all computer users
    By Bob_Trevithick in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-01-2002, 06:24 PM
  4. Important Feature I Forgot
    By Anonymous Poster in forum New Holland Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-01-2001, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.