Tractor Sizing Is Tractor Weight Important?

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #1  

New2NC

Tractor
Looking to buy
Trying to decide on two tractors and the weight is a big question for me. Practically and operationally speaking, how big a difference does almost 600 lbs. make when using a 37 HP tractor with a FEL? Main uses would be brush cutting rough 15 acres, moving logs, gravel road maintenance, large garden management.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #2  
If you had the same exact tractor and one had 600 lbs of weight added to it, say in the tires, the one with the extra 600lbs would pull better. Yes weight makes a difference and it sounds to me that what you are going to be doing that the extra weight will be beneficial to you.

Just my :2cents:

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #3  
Trying to decide on two tractors and the weight is a big question for me. Practically and operationally speaking, how big a difference does almost 600 lbs. make when using a 37 HP tractor with a FEL? Main uses would be brush cutting rough 15 acres, moving logs, gravel road maintenance, large garden management.

if the weight is in the rear tires as wheel weights or fluid filled or 3ph ballast= A HUGE DIFFERENCE. i am assuming you mean getting the tires filled? it will make the tractor A LOT LESS tippy when doing front loader work when you have weight in the bucket. as far as just comparing doing those tasks with a tractor that is 600 lbs heavier in general than a tractor that is 600 lbs less, weight is still beneficial. better traction. weight is almost always a good thing on a tractor.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #4  
Weight is important. When your using FEL ideally your weight should be in the rear. When pulling your logs weight equals traction.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #5  
If you are gonna be moving logs around with your loader, an extra 600lbs can come in very handy @ times. I would go with the heavier machine if everything else was equal.

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #6  
There's some competitive makes/models that very greatly in weight, and some that are nearly exactly the same. Kubota is known to be lighter than most other tractors, some see it as a good thing, some see it as a bad. If your doing a lot of lawn work, you'll want that weight off a lot of times. If your just doing work in the fields/woods the extra weight can be a good thing. If the difference was a couple thousand pounds I would be more concerned, but 600lbs can easily be added with some tire weights, rim guard or even easier a ballast box. 600lbs wouldn't be a game changer for one tractor vs another for me, I would consider that a non factor. Now what are you comparing between?

/ Is Tractor Weight Important?
Comparing the JD3038E (2087 lbs) to Kubota L3800 (2668 lbs.) Since I can add fluid to the wheels on both, I am not factoring it into the equation at this point.
Thanks!

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #8  
A better comparison would be the JD3520 to the kubota. The weights will be closer and the features more similar.

I had two tractors with similar HP and about 1000 lbs difference in weight. No comparison for pulling power....the heavier tractor is hands down better. Both run PTO implements equally....but agian the heavier tractor can lift more at both the loader and 3 point due to more ballast (and bigger hydraulic pump too).

/ Is Tractor Weight Important? #9  
Weight is one componient in getting power to the ground. If it were me, I'd be focusing on gross weight of both machines and not the 600#. Are we talking 2 or 4 wheel drive?

/ Is Tractor Weight Important?
Looking at the 4WD model.