Ford 861 Pics as requested!

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #1  

Ford861

Tractor
1958 Ford 861
Hi guys. I had a thread on here last week about my new (to me) Ford tractor, some of you wanted pics so I thought I'd start a new thread. I will tell you, the more I look at it and tinker, I am one happy camper!
Here it is in the ladies yard and how I saw it for the first time.

So I thought long and hard about the loader. Almost all of you thought I should keep it on. It was big, heavy, clumbsy, and leaking hyd fluid everywhere. I decided I didn't need it (or want it) and will try to sell it.
Here it is after spending several hours fighting with old rusty bolts, oil everywhere, and smashed knuckels. Still hoping I don't regret this cuz that sucker is not going back on! :mad:

With the loader off it turns almost effortlessly and seems to be a lot more manuverable. Not to mention saving on the wear and tear of the front end of the tractor with that thing on there. With the loader gone, I put the fenders on, had 2 new front tires put on, and took the pressure washer after it. I was pleasantly surprised how it looked after all the grease, oil, dirt, and gunk was gone and to see that it was in MUCH better shape than I thought. Most of the areas that I thought were leaking oil, appear to only be from the hyd hoses leaking from the loader onto/into/under the tractor, not the tractor itself. There's a tiny bit of oil around some of the bolts underneath, like on the oil pan, but not any major drips or leaks that I can tell!
Here it is after a little elbow grease.

My 5 year old son had a blast getting rides on it this weekend when I brought it up to our little farm.....I'll be honest, I had a blast too. :D Now if I can sell the loader, bucket, and bale spear for maybe $750 or so, I will have about $1,500 into this tractor. :thumbsup:

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #2  
Very nice old tractor, without power steering, be sure to keep your thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel to avoid kick back injury to your thumbs and wrists.

I really like those old tractors, but can't use them any more.

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #3  
Congratulations on getting that 861 home. I think you have made a very good deal for yourself with that tractor. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think about the loader. This is your tractor so set it up any way that you like. I am glad you are happy with your tractor so far.

Something that you may/may not be interested in,I switched out the original pan seat on my 861 for a suspension seat. It bolts right in place of the old pan assembly. I bought my seat locally but here is a link to one on the net.

Steiner Tractor Parts - - ABC445 - Universal Full Suspension Sea

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #4  
I was following your other thread. You got a great buy but I would not get rid of that loader just yet. I know about 500 people who own transactors and you are one of maybe 3 that did not want a loader.

If it were me I would clean it up also, replace the hoses, maybe even paint it. I have a feeling in a short while you will be wanting it back on and figuring out how to add power steering.

Chris

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested!
TripleR - Yeh, good point about the steering kick back. I noticed driving this weekend over uneven frozen ground it could be an issue while in the field.

kf4uda - LOL........I have already looked at getting rid of the pan seat. Honestly, it is pretty comfortable, but think I would like somethings else. The only problem I can see is that is has 2 hyd hoses running underneath from the hyd pump to the back of the tractor. The pump almost seemed to be it the way too.....but I may have to look into it a bit more. Did yours have the pump and hoses under the seat?

DiamondPilot - I hear you on the loader.......but after the chore to get it off, I'm not sure I want to try put it back on. :laughing: And again, if I do need a loader for something, I have access to 2 different tractors with FEL within 3 miles of me. Time will tell I guess........

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #6  
I think you must be referring to the valve stack for the remote hydraulics. I have it as well. I didn't have any interference problems from the valves mounting the suspension seat. You might have to re-route your hoses or remove them and plug the ports if you don't plan to use the remotes for anything. They were there to operate your loader but you can use them to operate whatever you wish. One thing you might want is a hydraulic top link for your box blade. If you ever get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

If you wanted to remove the valve stack you can get a block-off plate that goes in their place. I personally would keep them as remote hydraulics can be very useful.

I think you must be referring to the valve stack for the remote hydraulics. I have it as well. I didn't have any interference problems from the valves mounting the suspension seat. You might have to re-route your hoses or remove them and plug the ports if you don't plan to use the remotes for anything. They were there to operate your loader but you can use them to operate whatever you wish. One thing you might want is a hydraulic top link for your box blade. If you ever get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without it.

If you wanted to remove the valve stack you can get a block-off plate that goes in their place. I personally would keep them as remote hydraulics can be very useful.

Yes, the valve stack. I do plan on leaving the remotes, they will probably be handy. Thanks again, I think I will have to get the seat!

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #8  
Now that I have thought about it, when I mounted my seat it seemed like I was always "sliding out of it". I looked at it and decided to remount the seat using couple of thick fender washers in the front as shims. This pitched the seat back slightly and made a huge difference (or at least to me).

Now that I have thought about it, when I mounted my seat it seemed like I was always "sliding out of it". I looked at it and decided to remount the seat using couple of thick fender washers in the front as shims. This pitched the seat back slightly and made a huge difference (or at least to me).

Good info again, thanks. The other nice thing with this seat is that it looks like you will sit up much higher than in the pan seat. Right now when I let the clutch out, it feels like my knee is up by my chin cuz it sits so low. Not to mention taking a little of the jarring out on rough rides.

/ Ford 861 Pics as requested! #10  
Good info again, thanks. The other nice thing with this seat is that it looks like you will sit up much higher than in the pan seat. Right now when I let the clutch out, it feels like my knee is up by my chin cuz it sits so low. Not to mention taking a little of the jarring out on rough rides.

Having grown up on those old steel seats, I can empathize, we often just flipped the seat back and drove standing up; not recommending it.