New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #1  

SJBill

Tractor
Kubota L3940 HSTC
Hi Everyone,
Welcome to my newbie "I'm buying a tractor and need advice" thread.

I'm trying to decide if buying a new tractor is worth the ~$7,000 difference in price vs. a 2008 model.

I've looked at a used 2008 Kubota L3940HST with cab, and the LA724 Loader. (Quick attach bucket, I think it's the HD bucket, but I'm not sure on that.) The tractor has 630 hours on the clock, and looked to be in exceptionally clean condition. It had no noticeable rust or significant dents, dings or scratches, in fact the bucket itself looked nearly new. The cab liner was a bit scratched up where the operator gets in and out, but otherwise it was in great condition inside too. The asking price is $24,500. The tractor is about 200 miles from our farm, so it'll be a bit of a haul towing it back to home, but for the price a few hundred in gas and trailer rental doesn't seem so bad.

We wanted a sanity check so today we went to our local (about 10mi away) Kubota dealer and saw a two comparable tractors that I had the salesman quote prices.

Here's what he quoted me:
L3950HSTC-3 w/LA724 and Std. bucket:
$31,765 cash, or $32,765 0% for 60 mo.

L4240HSTC-3 w/LA854 and quick att. HD bucket:
$34,329 cash, or $35,329 0% for 60 mo.

I'm not sure if the extra 4 horses and heavier duty loader are worth the price difference. And I'm really unsure if a new tractor is worth more than a lightly (apparently) used tractor.

Here are my specific quesitons: Does anyone know if the 2008 model HST has the same automatic throttle settings as the current versions? For the work I'm likely to do, will the extra HP on the 4240 be needed?

We have a 14 Acre farm that is quite flat and open and has been farmed for many years in soy and/or corn. We're converting it to organic pasture to raise sheep, and will be doing a lot of cover cropping and ground conditioning for the next three years. Basically planning on tilling it, planting sudex and/or sun hemp, then mowing that 1-2X per month for the summer. Then roller-crimping and overseeding the next year's cover. I was thinking a rotory tiller would work, as well as getting a 6' or 8' rough-cut mower.

After the pastures are in, it will pretty much be used for farm utility use (bucketing stuff around, etc.) and occasional pasture mowing, brush clearing, etc.

We'll also be using it to maintain our 700' gravel drive, so eventually a box-blade will be in our future...

Thoughts? Advice? Pointing and lauging? :)

Thanks,
Bill in South Jersey

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #2  
If you don't need the loader capacity on of the 854 I would be pretty tempted by the L3940. I wish there was something like that on the yard around me. It sounds like a pretty good find.

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #3  
Loader capacity can be important if you plan to feed round bales depending on the size of bales common to your area.

MarkV

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #4  
I bought used and saved quite a bit of money. My 5030 had 700 hours, for that kind of money, I will buy used every time.

I like a little bigger tractor than the 3940, heavy stuff and quite a bit of acreage, but there are lots of happy 3940 owners here.

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #5  
The transmissions are the same although if the 3940 is a first generation then the controls might be in a different place.
The 8'bush hog is out but you might be able to use a SQ84T from brush hog to keep your mowing time down.

The tractor is up to you, used are unique and new any kubota dealer can price for you.

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #6  
All Grand Lxx40-HST's has the HST+ functionallity. Auto-throttle, crusie control, hst repsonse, stall guard. It is improved over the revisons from -1 to -3, but not worth thousands of dollars. Main difference between the -1 and -3 is stall guard on the pto, swivel seat, pto engagement knob vs. lever, and a couple other minor things. I pull a 6' bush hog thry some very tall stuff, but I would not want to go any bigger. Good luck. Philip.

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #7  
My 2008 L4240 HSTC...has the HST+ so I would assume the L3940 would have it also.They are the same frame size and 4 cyl,the L4240(854 loader)has more capacity.It is a tough choice.The prices that were quoted arn't too far off from 2008 prices.If you need the loader capacity ,go with the L4240,either way I don't think you can go wrong.

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240
Thanks for the replies. We're still hemming and hawing... -630 Hours isn't that much, right?

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #9  
I don't think 600 hours is much. I went with the 4240 because of the bigger loader, not because it lifts more but because it lifts higher, about a foot higher if I remember correctly. I wanted the extra so I could get over the sides of my dump truck easier.

I think for that kind of money I would only go new if you planned on owning the tractor for a very long time and wanted it to be "new".

/ New vs. Used Kubota L3940 or L4240 #10  
I think you gotta ask yourself,How many years would it take me to get the 600+hrs on a there(you may already have it payed for before then on a new one). Also unless paying cash going to have an intersest rate to pay on the used, im guessing, so it brings it alittle closer to the new,heck tell them to throw a boxblade in on the new 3940 and the got a deal:D. You'll be wishing you had more to mow,before you know it:thumbsup:

I will say this you wont be trying to keep the scratches off the used one,like a new one:laughing: