Tractor Size Recomendations

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #11  
My 2 cents (maybe not be worth that!) - medium size tractor ~50 HP assuming you don't have the $$$ for two tractors. More likely to be able to transport it with your existing truck than a full size ag tractor and still get work done, if you are not going to be doing a lot of ground engagement work. Not sure how much you would use BH. Might be better off hiring a bulldozer to clear trees. Be patient you will get some good feedback here.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Size Recomendations #12  
How big and how many trees do you want to remove?
Might be best to size the tractor for your Ag work and hire a big dozer to clear 10' swaths at a time. You might have 200 6" trees per acre on the edges of the fields which will be beyond almost any reasonable Ag tractor FEL depending on the soil and root structure to pop out quickly.
Some of the 50hp machines weigh in around 5500lbs with loaded rears and a FEL. DK50, MX5100,etc. So they are towable with a newer 1/2 ton.
Sounds like a fun project though, keep us posted on your progess!

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #13  
the MX5100 HST ROPS 4x4 with LA844 quicktatch loader should do everything you want.plus you could haul it back an forth.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations
Thanks for the input. Some clarification. I thought the backhoe would be good for working on the road, cleaning out ditches, digging out stumps and help work tearing down and replacing the old house. I considering the input from here it looks like a 50 hp pto tractor would keep me in the game later for a small square baler. I also think a root grapple would be good. So a 3rd function for the loader would be good.

All that said. Looked at a number of compacts at 50+hp. NH did not have much implement hydo flow. But the john deer 4720 or the Kabota L5740 look attractive. Like the idea of a hydro machine.

What am i missing?

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #15  
1966Hemi said:
Thanks for the input. Some clarification. I thought the backhoe would be good for working on the road, cleaning out ditches, digging out stumps and help work tearing down and replacing the old house. I considering the input from here it looks like a 50 hp pto tractor would keep me in the game later for a small square baler. I also think a root grapple would be good. So a 3rd function for the loader would be good.

All that said. Looked at a number of compacts at 50+hp. NH did not have much implement hydo flow. But the john deer 4720 or the Kabota L5740 look attractive. Like the idea of a hydro machine.

What am i missing?

Did you look at Massey Ferguson? I believe their 2000 series has three different hydro pumps so nothing interferes with the operation of other equipment. They have one for steering, one for the 3pt and a high flow for external equipment.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Size Recomendations #16  
Kubota M5140(hyd.shuttle)4x4,LDR or L5740(HST)4x4 LDR.
I would higher someone to clear it or rent the equipment and do it yourself(cat/case-backhoe/dozer),keep the new tractor to do the little clean-up afterwards.
Or could get you a 3-point backhoe attachment,and be careful.....

Last edited:
   / Tractor Size Recomendations #17  
You've got the acreage to justify a machine in the 50+ hp size or larger. But, if you have fields that have grown into woodlands with an extensive tree population, here's another vote for having equipment with tracks do your land clearing, either rented or hired. It's one thing to clear an acre or two and remove a reasonable number of trees, but when you have 10 or more acres with trees by the hundreds, you need something more than even a big ag tractor to get it done in a reasonable time period.

Look at all the reputable brands. There are many good ones to choose from.

I was thinking about getting a small dozer (or renting one) for most of the field clearing. I want to make sure I get enough machine for the jobs later. The dozzer will still leave a mess that will have to be cleaned up after.

I want to make sure I get enough machine to do utility work and light farming later. Some tilling and Hay work. Another thought is that these compact tractors cost alot per HP.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #19  
I was thinking about getting a small dozer (or renting one) for most of the field clearing. I want to make sure I get enough machine for the jobs later. The dozzer will still leave a mess that will have to be cleaned up after.

I want to make sure I get enough machine to do utility work and light farming later. Some tilling and Hay work. Another thought is that these compact tractors cost alot per HP.

We found a Kumatsu D31p that a guy was really needing the cash picked it up for $6500,had to fix the tensioners and the thing runs like a champ. As for tractor I can do alot with my Kubota M5040(now is 5140) 5140.jpg

Was looking at some of the used JD 4720s online. Noticed that they quote 2 HP ratings 58 and 66? Sometimes in the same year. I thought it was PTO vs Engine but PTO is listed as 56 at JD. Did they change something?