Tractor Size Recomendations

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #1  

1966Hemi

Tractor
Bolens 5020H
Ok Guys I'm really confused. I have been waffling on the size tractor to buy now for a long time. I have a 30 Acre Farm in West PA (Also part owner of aprox 50 more like it). About 1/2 is flat hill top and the other half is hilly. Most has been under cultivation in the past. It is mostly overgrown with small/med trees - The fields have not been mowed in 40+ years. About 1/2 mile private road (near impassable in some places due to neglect). House needs torn down and new drainage around stone footers.

My Plan is to build a house and move there in a few years (retirement). Clear the land and "gentlman" farm. Grew up (when I was pretty young) on a dairy farm where we had a number of ford tractors so I know a little about them but not much about modern equipment.

I have Gun Dogs and Horses. SO I wouild like to be able to make hay (square bales) and maybe some corn. I have thought about sub compacts (20-30hp) with loaders and backhoes with HST. I've thought about compacts (30-55hp) and full size Ag tractors (65-85hp). The former would be good for the cleanup and clearing but not much for Hay etc. They also cost about as much as an Ag tractor. The Ag tractor seems to the best long term but is big and maybe clumsy in the woods. JD, NH and Kubota dealers are all close. Mahindra is also an option the 8560 seems like a good value priced ag machine. Looking for a Machine with a loader and Backhoe for now. Would be nice if I could trailer the unit behing my 1 ton truck so I did not have to leave it at the farm when I am not there. I live 500 miles away and it is very remote. Also I could use it for some work here on my 3 acres.

Open to all the advice I can get.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #2  
I sure others with more experience will chime in eventually, but from your description it sounds like compacts in the 30-55hp range would be best suited to your needs, or at least thats the impression I get.

Compact tractors are small enough to make them more manuverable in tight places yet large enough to get a decent amount of work done, and are much easier to transport than the larger ag tractors. You get the best of both worlds. IMO

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #3  
You need two tractors--

a) A used TLB (30-40 hp engine) and a new ag tractor (60-80 hp engine)
or
b) A new TLB (Kubota BX series for example) and a used ag tractor (60-80 hp engine).

You might also consider a used TLB like a Deere 310 if you're facing larger jobs (lotsa trenching, lotsa stump removal, etc).

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #4  
I suggest you look at a Kubota M59tlb it should be able to do everything you want to do and do it well. I have a Deere tlb and separate tractors and really like them but if buying straight up I think a good riding mower and the M59 fully equipped would be a very good choice.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #5  
If you know old Ford tractors and want something like them but new, look at the New Holland TT series tractors or Workmaster's. The Workmaster's are a little heaver made than the TT's but basically the same. One look at them up close and you should notice some of the same key features as the trusty old Fords. I have a TT45A ( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/232510-custom-hd-tractor-canopy-4.html ) and love it. I haven't given it any slack and it has held up well. I pull a Bushhog 286 and an old IH 8' wheel disc with it regularly. Some day soon I hope to get a Workmaster 75, 4x4 with FEL but that's just wishful thinking for now. :)

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us/en/Products/Agricultural-Tractors/Workmaster/Pages/Products_overview.aspx?nhpid=Workmaster%2045-75%20Engine%20HP

http://agriculture.newholland.com/us/en/Products/Agricultural-Tractors/TT-A/Pages/Products_overview.aspx?nhpid=TT-A%2040-75%20Engine%20HP

Whatever you buy I would't go any lower than 50 PTO hp if I were you and planning to work hay.

Last edited:
   / Tractor Size Recomendations #6  
I have a Kubota M 6800 that would do all you need. Make sure you get an FEL, Ag tires, and load the rear tires. I would recommend something in the 55 to 70 horsepower class, in a Ag tractor, whatever the brand. The size has never been an issue for me and I use it in really tight places often. I would also recommend a grapple on the front instead of a bucket. It is much handier for all round use.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #7  
hi ,welcome to this site. I suggest you have a look at Kubota M 6800 and Kubota M59tlb from your description.

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #8  
Gee.... I thought JD fanatics were bad, team orange is in full force!! ;) :laughing:

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #9  
Gee.... I thought JD fanatics were bad, team orange is in full force!! ;) :laughing:

It does seem that if someone owns a certain "color", regardless of what that "color" is, that they usually think everyone else should purchase the same. :confused2:

/ Tractor Size Recomendations #10  
We recently upgraded a Ford 1710 (28 hp compact) to a NH Workmaster 55, 4wd FEL and backhoe attachment . It is a LOT of tractor for the money. We're able to get it into all the places the 1710 went, mostly because the rollbar folds down.

We also have an old Ford 5600, which we use basically as a field mower but also to pound fence posts. The Workmaster could do all the same jobs, but it is nice to have the second tractor from late spring to early fall when the fields need mowing regularly.

(We have horses and small organic garden)

If you're doing horses, AND you plan on wooden fenceposts, owning your own post driver is a VERY nice addition.