Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions.

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #11  
if u are going to a larger property as u say, then u need to look at something a little larger than the 18 hp. and with 20 acres u will probably most assuredly need a loader. i don't like to spend other folks $$$$ but putting out a few $$$ more now will probably save u some money in the long run. if new is out of the question, then take your time and look for a good used one.WELCOME TO THE FORUM

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #12  
Though I have no experience with kubota.. many rave about the bx2200 series... Also, a NH tc18 might be nice.. they have a decent looking MMM.. and with only 2 acres.. you don't want a huge tractor runnning around.. unless you are getting more land.

If the 10k includes the loader.. you are gonna be stuck for new on the big 3. However, a used say yanmar with a finish mower and loader easilly fits that budget. Try the yanmar sub for details.
Another option is a chineese tractor... surprisingle you can get the small economy size jinma 20hp version for as low as 3k new from some places... yes this is a bottom of the line economy model.. 2cyl deisel, 3pt lift, no PS. Big dealers in jinmas like norther hyd's sell a jinma with loader and PS as a package for 8499.. unit is a 20hp w/ ps and loader, figure 1100 for shipping truck with a lift gate, and your also gonna pay about 700-900 for a finish mower locally.

That just puts you over your 10k range.. but gets you a 'new' unit, though you would have to be comfterable that it isn't a 'big3' brand name.

Look around.. don't jump into anything.. sometimes you can do some research and walk into a great deal. Check your local dealers, you might fina a used or returned unit that they sold / serviced originally, and get a good deal due to it being a year old with a few hours, etc..

Soundguy

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #13  
I think you are on the right track with a BX2200. I dont know how you arrived at the $10,000 budget (cash on hand? finance?) but if you are financing there are more options available, like Kioti which recently has some great low rates and long terms.

Beyond that, I would stay away from anything off the beaten path, like a Jinma. I will get beat up for saying this, but you had better be a mechanic with tools to buy one of those- because you will be on your own. Most importantly, it will be tough to sell if you need to move up sometime later.

I would think it prudent to buy the bx for your current needs, and then possibly sell/trade it later when you need a bigger tractor. by getting a strong brand now, you will always be able to sell later.

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #14  
I wouldn't even think about beating you up.I'll just say that there are many good mechanics out there who would be just as happy taking your money as a big three or big two[or ever how many bigs there are] are.Some of the big ones will even work on them,I guess they would be considered independant dealers.One thing they won't take is chinese money,yen or yang or whatever its called,But good ole u.s. dollars speaks.And who wants to sell it?I mean an old rusting,barely running tractor is in demand now. RICHARD GAUTHIER

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #15  
Hello DWhite, welcome to TBN! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'm glad you took my suggestion and registered here. Make sure you fill out your profile as many people will also read that before offering advice or making recommendations.

My own advice to you would be to frequent all of the dealers in your area, look for tractors that have been traded in on larger (or smaller) models and look for previous model year leftovers that the dealer may want to make a deal on. Don't limit yourself to any brand until you look at all of the tractors in your price range. From what I read here on another thread, Kubota tractors fitting this discription may be scarce, but it never hurt's to look.

Register on www.machinerylink.com, they have a huge listing of used equipment. Pay close attention to the links here when you log on, (thats how I found machinerylink and my tractor). They also have a price indicator where you can get suggested prices for different tractors.

Anyway, good luck and have fun in your search and tell your better half that my better half says hello. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #16  
dwhite---you don't list an email address. Email me if you would like some specific quotes on some of the things you are considering. Thanks.
<font color="blue"> </font> Wayne

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions.
Thanks for the advice. I would rather buy a brand that has local dealer support. I don't have the time or knowledge to do more than basic maintenance. In our town we have green and orange. In nearby towns we have blue, red, and that other orange. I looked at Yanmar and JM but don't think I'm up to the challenge.

My profile doesn't list my email because I HATE SPAM and never give it out unless required.

/ Newbie looking for 18-25hp needs suggestions. #18  
Just went through what you are with about the same budget. I was amazed at the prices of new tractors and good used ones. I first considered going w/ something new and getting a FEL later, but I have a dump truck and that seemed silly. Also, the new tractors seemed to have too many bells and whistles I didn't need or were very basic and over priced or were from overseas and of questionable reliability and quality (just my opinion - don't kill me!)
I went to all the local dealers and reasearched private deals as far as about 8 hrs away from my. I found a used Ford 1910 at a NH dealer right around the corner from me. It had turf tires, Dual loader (which looks light duty) and about 1500 hrs. She wasn't pretty, been store outside, but seemed like it would do everything I wanted. After alot of research, uncertainty, and advice from this list I put money on it. Later I found a leak underneath that both I and the salesman believed was a minor clamp that would be fixed. Turned out it was a seal in the transmission and the entire tractor had to be "split" for it to be repaired. Had I gotten this somewhere else I would be facing the repair bill plus getting it back and forth to the shop. Going with a dealer meant it was done without cost to me before it was delievered to my door. I've seen many posts here saying one of the most important purchase considerations is being comfortable with the dealer and now I absolutely agree.
BTW: 1910s are four wheel drive and @ 30 hp, which I've been advised is about minimum for "serious" brush hog work and the other things I wanted to do. I paid 12,800 for the tractor packaged with brand new Woods 72" finish mower and box blade, 60" brush hog, and 84" Land Pride rake.