BX22 vs TC18 or TC21

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #1  

GaryG

Silver Member
Tractor
BX22
I am still looking at tractors and reading TBN. Are the small Kubota tractors better built than the New Holland? My dealer is the New Holland and Kubota dealer. I have looked at the BX22 at his place. He does not stock anything as small in the New Holland line. I asked about the TC21 or TC24 and he acted like I would be happier with the BX22. I don't want to start a controversy. I just don't see much on the New Holland Forum about these smaller tractors. I have all but given up on the Kioti CK20. The closest dealer is 90 miles away and tractors are not his main business. I get the feeling that the BX22 will do all I need and it is very good on hills with the lower center of gravity.

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #2  
The B series Kubota's are not unit construction and the NH's are. Personally I prefer the solid trans/engine unit of the NH's as opposed to the exposed driveshaft/frame rail assembly of the Kubota's. The Kubota's are nice but seem light duty if you compare them with the NH's on this basis.

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #3  
2 years ago I looked at the same tractors (and the B7500). The BX just seemed to be too compact for what I wanted. The TC21D has served me well with essentially zero problems (floor mat was torn - warranty).

Here are a few features that tipped the scales - the TC21D vs. the BX22:

61.3 vs. 54.8 in3 engine
tach vs. no tach (do I remember that right?)
1265 vs. 662 lbs capacity 3ph

Good luck.

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #4  
GaryG,
I understand Charleys opinion regarding a full cast iron unit driveline, but have not noticed any flex or other indication that the bx series lacks frame rigidity or strength. The bx2200 frame is 3/8" thick by 5" tall and is plenty beefy. The bx is great on hills, and has impressed many with its capabilities. Determining build quality is always somewhat subjective as you may prefer one type of construction over another, but both machines are well built, and should give years of service.
Good luck and have fun deciding,
DaveL

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #5  
He doesn't stock anything because New Holland doesn't make a sub-compact tractor. A more direct comparison to the TC18 and TC21 would be the B7500.

What are you going to do with this machine? Mowing? Dirt work? Do you need the extra ground clearance? I like my New Holland, but the primary reason I went blue was the dealership. He also carries Kubota (at another location - further from my house).

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21
Most of what I will be doing is moving topsoil around and digging holes to plant trees. Some landscaping with the box scraper. and a roto-tiller for the garden. I have some pretty steep areas planted in citrus. I understand the BX22 is pretty stable on hills. Not sure I would try some of them even with a cat. I just wanted a comparison with the TC18 & TC21 before making any decision. I like the B2410. I was told by a member here that has both the BX22 & the B2410, that the BX22 was a bit more stable on a side hill.....

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #7  
Gary,

I am not sure you can compare the two tractors. The BX is a Sub-compact and the New Holland TC18 is a Compact. Even though the Horsepower is greater on the 18 it would perform much better with a FEL. The TC21 would have more Horsepower and if you going to do a lot of FEL work it might be the better choice. If mowing and just tilling work the sub-compact would do the job for you. However I had a TC21D with a MMM and it did a great job of mowing also. But I really think you would be steering yourself wrong if you compare the BX2200 with a TC Boomer.

just me opinion.

murph

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Most of what I will be doing is moving topsoil around and digging holes to plant trees. Some landscaping with the box scraper. and a roto-tiller for the garden. I have some pretty steep areas planted in citrus. I understand the BX22 is pretty stable on hills. Not sure I would try some of them even with a cat. I just wanted a comparison with the TC18 & TC21 before making any decision. I like the B2410. I was told by a member here that has both the BX22 & the B2410, that the BX22 was a bit more stable on a side hill..... )</font>

I can attest to what the BX will do for you; I'm sure the other units would be capable as well, although maybe not as stable on the hills. I have moved lots of topsoil with this rig! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif If you are going to dig into a pile of well-packed earth you may wish for more FEL power than the BX has, but for loose topsoil, you'll have no problem. I just finished using the backhoe to dig holes for tree planting - sure makes that shovel look puny and keeps my arms from hurting! In fact, for various reasons I have been looking into larger tractors, but really can't afford larger tractor/fel AND larger backhoe. The plan was/is/may be to do without a backhoe, but after using mine the last few days, I may just have to keep this beautiful little sub-compact BEAST /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif !!
I have a 42" landpride tiller and my garden covers about 1/3 acre. The BX is a perfect rig for this size garden and works very well (as others on this site have said many times) with a tiller. I have a 5' box blade and have done mostly light work with it - can't attest as much to the capabilities of the BX in this regard.
Bottom line - I would judge whether or not the BX is right for you based on the slope of your property vs. how much you expect out of the FEL. I doubt seriously you will be disappointed - maybe you can find an opportunity to test one either at a dealership or a local owner. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Happy Trails!

Terry

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21
That is the kind of input I am looking for. I think the BX22 will do what I need. I am not as much after speed as safety and saving my back. After hauling many wheelbarrow loads of topsoil and cow manure. I said I need a tractor with a loader. Then I found TBN which has helped make my decision. Thank you, Gary

/ BX22 vs TC18 or TC21 #10  
Gary,
I selected a BX2200 for it's low center of gravity, among other things. I had looked at the B7500, NH TC18 and the Deere 4010. I felt very "high" on all 3 of those compacts. As my property is all hill this was a factor.

As others have ponted out - even with less HP the compacts will out perform my BX. But for grass cutting and light FEL work the BX was a good fit for me.

You might want to look at the Cub 7256. It is smaller than a compact but bigger than the subs. I felt very stable on it. It had more power at the PTOs and FEL than all of the compacts I looked at. I didn't buy due to price and dealer concerns. But it looks like a good alternative.