Shipping suggestions

/ Shipping suggestions #1  

Anonymous Poster

I located an almost new replacement deck for a lawn and garden tractor I'm fixing up to compliment my compact. The price seemed ok considing I needed to factor in shipping charges.

I'm located in central PA and it is in Ill. I was wondering about some advice about shipping what carriers some might have used. I have loooked at UPS and Federal Express. I was told UPS is out cause of the weight. The deck weights about 140 pounds plus the mule drive and I assume a pallet would need to be added to it. I also looked at Federal Express and it was high.

Craig

/ Shipping suggestions #2  
I've always used Yellow Freight in those circumstances. They have a web page and an 800 number to call for info. Strapping the deck securely to a pallet makes it easier to ship.

Call them with your info and they'll be able to quote you. The shipper must write YES discount on the freight bill for you to get a discount. I've always found it more convenient to pick up deliveries at the terminal. There's no way a tractor trailer can deliver here.

If you are planning on picking the deck up at the terminal, don't give them your phone number. They'll charge you for the phone call to notify you the shipment arrived. Get the freight bill number from the shipper. With that you can check status on the internet.

/ Shipping suggestions #3  
Good info Darren
I just called and they do have connections in Canada as well - do you have a sense of how their rates compare with other carriers?

Bob

/ Shipping suggestions #4  
I only got a comparison once. When I found the deal on my chipper shredder, it was about 250 miles from me. I asked the guy to call Yellow for a quote and he came back with a figure that knocked my socks off. Turned out he called someone else than Yellow. Don't ask me why.

When he did call Yellow, it was much cheaper. I like Yellow because they're easy deal with and they have the closest terminal of any carrier. It's about an hour one way from me.

/ Shipping suggestions #5  
try a couple of the freight companies that have a terminal in your local area. They are likely to be the cheapest.

/ Shipping suggestions #6  
Sounds like a nice day's drive in a pickup truck or van to me.

/ Shipping suggestions #7  
You might try Overnight Trucking... they are an LTL carrier as well... same process as Darren suggested for Yellow Freight... They have numerous terminals in most larger cities... Given time, two days, and having a pickup truck, that would be your cheapest out of pocket way to get it... That's what I did when I picked up my tractor... rented a tandem axle U-Haul trailer, hooked it up to my SUV, drove to Oklahoma from Nebraska, 450 milesX2, spent the night in a Motel 6... el cheapo just to flop, and I estimate, with fuel, it cost $145.00 for the effort, not counting my valuable time ofcourse... So, not needing a trailer, you could do for under $100.00 out of pocket.....

/ Shipping suggestions
Thanks for all the suggestions!! I think I'm going to go and get the deck myself. Make a nice two day trip.

Craig

/ Shipping suggestions #10  
I use Schneider truck lines. Very helpful and excellent service