Buying Advice Help needed fist time tractor purchase

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #1  

rthrbhntg

Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I have finally decided it time to buy a tractor and I'm looking for some assistance on what I will actually need (HP, 2 or 4WD, tires) and any other advice, as I'm new to this. This tractor will be used for:
- Brush hogging about 20-25 acres
- Putting in food plots,
- Other general maintenance and projects
- The land is mostly slopped and is located in the Catskill Area in NY
Looking at new tractors as financing options look good.

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #2  
welcome to TBN!

If it where me, I would look at 35hp to 50hp, go as big as you can and still get the "bells and whistles" you want. 35hp would probably do it though.

Go 4x4 if you can, especially at 35hp and under. Comes in handy all the time, and for you living in the North, you'll be in some snow and mud at times. Also will help with resell, if that ever happens.

Tires, thats almost specific for what you likely will do. full time farming and ranching, I would want the full Ag tire, for working a small "spread" like I do now, I prefer the Industrial tire, kinda between the Ag tire and the Turf tire. Ag tire is the most "aggressive" tire.

You'll also want to consider a FEL (Font End Loader). You don't know how handy they are until you have one.

AgriCredit usually has some awesome rates, last time I used them I got 1.8%. At that rate I went ahead a got a few implements I knew I needed.

Pay's to shop around for dealers offering "package deals" And many will offer deals if you buy the Tractor and a few implements.

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #3  
better buckle up and hold on. i bet you get a lot of different responses based mostly on what the person owns. i have done a lot of what you mentioned and i bet for hp you could do it with a tractor between 30 - 40 hp. get 4wd as you will be glad you did. probably the ag (r-1) tires would be your best bet and get them loaded. i would also look at one with a hydrostat transmission as this will make it easier for you to operate and save wear and tear on the tractor clutch and brakes. another good thing to have is a front loader. i bet if you get it you will be glad you did. finally a local dealer is worth his weight in gold. i would buy one from someone close. you will need parts and maintenance at some point. there i did it. all that and i am not going to recommend a brand. try each one out before you buy and enjoy shopping around. also welcome aboard to TBN!

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #4  
I have finally decided it time to buy a tractor and I'm looking for some assistance on what I will actually need (HP, 2 or 4WD, tires) and any other advice, as I'm new to this. This tractor will be used for:
- Brush hogging about 20-25 acres
- Putting in food plots,
- Other general maintenance and projects
- The land is mostly slopped and is located in the Catskill Area in NY

Start with the implements you'll need.

Brush hog: 6-ft wide minimum. With a 50 hp (engine), 40-45 hp (pto) 4WD tractor with an FEL (6-ft wide bucket), figure 2-3 acres per hour once you've mowed your fields a few times to get the weeds under control and to find out where the potholes and other obstacles are located.

Food plots: 6-8 ft wide tandem disc, broadcast seed spreader, 10-ft wide cultipacker. No problem handling these with a 50 hp (engine) tractor.

Sloped land: get the rear tires loaded with Rimguard (beet juice) for added stability. Adjust the rear tires to get the largest possible track width.

Good luck

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #5  
Start with the implements you'll need.

Brush hog: 6-ft wide minimum. With a 50 hp (engine), 40-45 hp (pto) 4WD tractor with an FEL (6-ft wide bucket), figure 2-3 acres per hour once you've mowed your fields a few times to get the weeds under control and to find out where the potholes and other obstacles are located.

Food plots: 6-8 ft wide tandem disc, broadcast seed spreader, 10-ft wide cultipacker. No problem handling these with a 50 hp (engine) tractor.

Sloped land: get the rear tires loaded with Rimguard (beet juice) for added stability. Adjust the rear tires to get the largest possible track width.

Good luck

Agreed. For those tasks, I would also concentrate on a 50 HP machine to move bigger implements, as flusher has listed.

For color, visit several nearby dealers and test each machine thoroughly, as well as seeing how the dealer treats you, and how they represent themselves. Most dealerships are professional, some are not so much. Listen to their advice, but don't let them talk you into something for their benefit. The more dealers you visit, the more your knowledge of the process (and tractors) will increase.
Enjoy the shopping, aside from the seat time it's the best part of a new tractor!

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #6  
Welcome to TBN.

Flusher's spot on. We know you plan to bush hog but aren't sure what your plans are for food plots, the entire 20-25 acres or something considerably smaller. Lots to read on TBN on the subject, give us as many details of what you see yourself doing with the land, including clearing, stump removal etc if you see that in your future.

Having more HP than you need is seldom a bad thing, but of course it costs more, is there a budget you plan to stick to?

What I will say is that 4WD with a loader would be minimum and load the rears. Hydro transmissions are a favorite here on TBN but try the synchro shuttle and Dyna QPS tansmissions out, some are of the opinion they are a better choice if using ground engaging implements (disc harrows etc).

Good luck and be sure you try all the brands you can, and let us know your impressions of each. Have fun. :thumbsup:

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #7  
Absolutely can't improve on the advice given by others. For those with no tractor experience, I often recommend renting a tractor for a day or two, use it on your land to give you a baseline for comparison. My wife and I have both found our impressions from driving one around on the lot have changed once used in real life application. One really noticeable thing is tractors seem to "shrink" with use. A tractor that seems really big on the lot doesn't seem that way after a few hours in the seat.

Good luck and enjoy.

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #8  
I can't add anything to the great advice offered above. All spot on from the perspective of a guy who is approximately 24 months down the road in front of you in the process.

Oh, and I can add that while stressful when making the decisions, second guessing yourself and others and actually "pulling the trigger", the payoff is HUGE in terms of satisfaction, enjoyment and therapeutic value. Really kind of hard to explain...

Good Luck!

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #9  
4x4 is a must have IMHO.

/ Help needed fist time tractor purchase #10  

I wouldn't do this. You'll get a better deal with Cash Cash is king !:thumbsup: