Comparison Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #11  
Buy the Cub - no question. The Sears probably has a Briggs engine, Briggs engines tend to have a limited life span.
I've seen some John Deeres at Depot in your price range.

The Briggs on my Simplicity is 15 years old and still going strong.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #12  
Your comparing apples to apples with this comparison. Some don't like Craftsman, that's because it's an economy lawn tractor, not a garden tractor. The Cub Cadet is the same thing, it's a lawn tractor. These are good for small lawns of no more than an acre. If you really want to cut, you want a nice, larger machine that is more proven and built to last. There's not much difference in quality in the lower Cub Cadets and the Craftsman models. Now, if you were looking at an upper model, the Cub Cadet would be of much better quality than any Craftsman model. Just go with what your most comfortable with and has the best warranty/options.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #13  
Hey Martain, You get your machine fixed? Wish you luck...Forget craftsman, you will be taking it in the shop every year.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #14  
Tough time of year to be looking for a lawn tractor when the budget is tight. I'm going to suggest c) none of the above...Husqvarna. They make some hyrdos that should fit your budget. Lowes and Sears both carry them...neither will service them though! Is there a small dealer/repair shop near you?

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #15  
this is what is making it difficult. The Cub Cadet has a 3 year warranty but does not have a Hydrostatic transmission. The Craftsman has a 2 year warranty and does. So it appears I give up something on both... The Craftsman has some pretty bad online reviews. People seem to hate Sears these days.... I havent bought anything from them in the past so I have no point of reference. I have none for Cub Cadet either. I do have a local Cub Cadet dealer that would service me.
According to the below attachment the Cub is automatic using a CVT. If operated correctly ( according to the manufacturer's recommendations ) that variable speed will be around long after the el-cheeeepo hydrostat has bit the dust.

I repaired one for a neighbor that had been operated wrong for 7 years mowing a lawn about the size you have. And when repair was needed a hundred dollar bill took care of the variable portion and 2 new belts were around $80.00.

Try one at your dealer to see how it works before discounting them completely.

Riding Lawn Tractor - Cub Cadet LTX 1040

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #16  
repaired one for a neighbor that had been operated wrong for 7 years mowing a lawn about the size you have.
What was he doing wrong? Looks like the Cub is the way to go!:eek:

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #17  
repaired one for a neighbor that had been operated wrong for 7 years mowing a lawn about the size you have.
What was he doing wrong? Looks like the Cub is the way to go!:eek:
Using the clutch when changing ratio selections ( 1-7 ) rather than simply moving the variable lever to select a speed. Never read the manual and didn't have a clue how it was intended to be operated.

I doubt the manual states this but it's a good idea to take the speed control completely through its range once in awhile to keep it from getting married to say 2,3 and 4.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #18  
At this price range there is little difference in tractors. I have a Sears 22 HP, hydrostatic, have had for the past 8 years. Pressurized oil system, change the oil and filter every year, sharpen or replace the blades as required.

When I bought it most other ride-ons in the price range ($1800) had stamped steel front axles and a mower deck stamped from body metal. The axles on the sears are cast iron and although I've never measured the guage of steel on the deck, it's substantial enough.

Never had a single problem with it. Bought it thinking that within 3-5 years I'd be doing some serious maintenance or looking to replace it. Truth is my wife hauls around our polymer trailer loaded full of composted soil for her gardens, I've had the same trailer loaded with Class A to repair access roads on our property, have hauled the guts out of the little thing, can't seem to hurt it.

I mow approximately 2 acres with it once a week from April to Oct, despite all the negative reviews I can't agree, hasn't been my experience at all......

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models
WOW!!! Thank you guys for all your help!!!!! I will be purchasing the Cub this weekend. You guys made this decision easier for me. Hopefully this tractor will last me for the next 10 years with proper care. The crazy thing is my dad had a Toro lawn tractor that we beat the **** out of as kids mowing our 2 acres for 20 years and that thing just kept going.... goes to show you they just dont make things like they used to!!! I promise I will read the manual and have the guy show me how to use it. I have decided NOT to purchase it from Home Depot but rather give my money to the local Cub dealer because I would rather see my money go to somebody local than the big box store. thanks for all your help!

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #20  
I have decided NOT to purchase it from Home Depot but rather give my money to the local Cub dealer because I would rather see my money go to somebody local than the big box store. thanks for all your help!

Good plan! In the event of any issues, the selling dealer will be much more responsive to your needs.
Enjoy the Cub!