Comparison Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #21  
Make sure you get on, ride, and test each tractor before you make your decision.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #22  
Lisa, you said you've made your choice so what I have to offer isn't likely going to mean anything.

First off, Sears is in BIG financial trouble. Saw a prediction eary this yr saying Sears likely to be gone or in backruptcy before the yr is over. Several weeks ago I read a news article reporting Sears lost Billions last yr and 1200 of their stores were closing. Enough said here.

Your budgit is for entry level equipment and there is not going to be a big difference in features or qlty. It is quite likely you could buy a used premium level LT/GT and have it last you a lot longer than a new entry level model. I have a 40 yr old Bolens that cost a little over $2k in 1970, mower and tiller included. Still running today. Bought a used JD 318 about 20 yrs ago keep it for 10 yrs and had close to 2000 hrs on it. Paid $4k and blue book 8 yrs ago when replaced was $2200 - $2500. Never in the shop for repairs. What I'm getting at is cheap new isn't likley as good as expensive used.

Oh, and they do make things like they used to but just not at "used to" prices. You may see I currently have a Cub Cadet. 8 yrs old and cost $5k and JD model I was looking at at the time was $7k. Not everyone has the budgit for premium models but don't fool youself into thinking just because and entry level piece of equipment has same name and same color, you'll received same level of performance.

Hope you enjoy the Cub and it gives you a lot of yrs service.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #23  
WOW!!! Thank you guys for all your help!!!!! I will be purchasing the Cub this weekend. You guys made this decision easier for me. Hopefully this tractor will last me for the next 10 years with proper care. The crazy thing is my dad had a Toro lawn tractor that we beat the **** out of as kids mowing our 2 acres for 20 years and that thing just kept going.... goes to show you they just dont make things like they used to!!! I promise I will read the manual and have the guy show me how to use it. I have decided NOT to purchase it from Home Depot but rather give my money to the local Cub dealer because I would rather see my money go to somebody local than the big box store. thanks for all your help!

The Cub would be my choice between those two, I'm really not a fan of Sears equip. I have 3 acres, and before I got a zero turn, I bought a John Deere from Home Depot, that was about 10 yrs ago, I used it regularly for about 8 years and it still runs perfectly today. It is a 20 hp Briggs with a 48" cut. I'm pretty sure it comes in under $1500 and I'd prefer it to either the Cub or Craftsman. At some point in the line, the engine changes to a Kohler (my dad's 24hp JD from Home Depot does), which is better than the Briggs, but that might be in the $1800 range. These are not the same as the higher end JD garden tractors, but then you get a very well established dealer network for service and parts as an alternative to only a small engine repair shop.

Pick up a few extra oil filters, an extra air filter and fuel filter when you buy it, you will need them and they're good to have around. You will have to change the oil after a short break in time and then regularly after that.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #24  
Oh, and they do make things like they used to but just not at "used to" prices. You may see I currently have a Cub Cadet. 8 yrs old and cost $5k and JD model I was looking at at the time was $7k. Not everyone has the budgit for premium models but don't fool youself into thinking just because and entry level piece of equipment has same name and same color, you'll received same level of performance.
Very good point. I used to work for a hotel. We had a Cub Cadet LT1050 that we beat the snot out of. It held up, but was slow and underpowered for what we needed to do. We replaced it with a used Cub Cadet GT3200. What a difference, it has diff lock, power steering, PTO powered deck, faster ground speed, hydro deck lift, etc.

We got it used (with 600 hours on the clock) clong with a 60" deck, a snowblower, a front blade and new oil/filter in the transmission for $3000 from our local Cub Cadet dealer.
We have since spent ~$1000 on a cab, lights and a strobe. It needs new tires on the back at some point, but it is 2-3 times the machine that the LT1050 was.

Aaron Z

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #25  
When you buy gas, be sure to buy 100% gas and none of that ethanol.

Doesn't hurt to treat the gas with Marvel mystery oil or some other stabilizer.

Run the gas out of the carb and change the oil at the end of the season. Probably should change the air filter, tool.

If the mower is going to sit unused for longer than a week or so during the cutting season, it could be wise to run the gas out of the carb.

Not all mowers come with a fuel line shutoff these days. I'd put one on if yours does not have one. Cost about $6.00 maybe. You can shut off the gas and let the engine run until it until the fuel runs out of the carb that way. It's simple and should save you a lot of headaches.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #26  
I have had a Cub for about 5 years with no troubles.
Just a selling point for me is the Cub dealers can service what the sell and carry parts for the machines in stock, our local dealer even makes house calls, I am thinking Sears would not even come close to this type of service.
good luck

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #27  
I'm not sure, but I think Craftsman and Cub Cadets are made by the same company, which is MTD. MTD makes a lot of mowers under different names. I always thought Cub Cadets were MTD's better grade of mowers.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #28  
   / Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #29  
I still advise to buy a used Simplicity from a dealer. Those style tractors will run forever if you do the maintenance.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #30  
I think you made a good choice buying from a local dealer. They will most likely have someone who can make repairs if the need arises. I like supporting local instead of box stores also.