Comparison Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #1  

LisaM

Tractor
None
Hello all. I would really appreciate some help. I am a single woman so reliability is key here. I have had it with my old mower and am purchasing a new one. My top budget however is about $1500 so I have narrowed it down to 2 models. I only have about an acre or so to mow.

Craftsman 42" Briggs & Stratton turn tight Hydrostatic and

Cub Cadet ltx 1040

Any thoughts on these two machines?

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #2  
Welcome to TBN Lisa, See if you can find a used Simplicity..I have had mine for 15 years and bought a bigger one last year.Nothing cuts like a Simplicity.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models
Used is not an option. I have no way to fix and no way to have it hauled some place to fix it not to mention I dont want to deal with it. I just want to sit on the thing, turn the key and have it work. Ive spent 2 years fighting with my mower and I dont want to do that again. If I buy used I have to find a way to have it brought to me and everything else. I cant deal with that. I want a new one with a warranty. So of those two which is the better option?

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #4  
In that price range I would go with the longest warrenty

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #5  
Between the choices given I vote for the Craftsman. Discuss your pending purchase with one of the sales associates at Sears and see if they can advise of a sale in the near future you may be able to buy more mower for the same money. Be careful of extended maintenace contracts. Some run in conjunction with the Sears Warranty. If offered ask a lot - lot of questions on coverage, what, when and how.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models
this is what is making it difficult. The Cub Cadet has a 3 year warranty but does not have a Hydrostatic transmission. The Craftsman has a 2 year warranty and does. So it appears I give up something on both... The Craftsman has some pretty bad online reviews. People seem to hate Sears these days.... I havent bought anything from them in the past so I have no point of reference. I have none for Cub Cadet either. I do have a local Cub Cadet dealer that would service me.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #7  
I would go with the Cub just for the longer warranty. I have a Sears hydrostatic and am not impressed. Its only two years old and is starting to get sloppy. I have also noticed the tranny whine more when adjusting the speed. In a lawn tractor this size a manual tranny seems to make more sense to me now that I have experienced both.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #8  
I have a 2008 Cub Cadet i1050 (50" deck with zero-turn hydro transmissions) and it has had its troubles but never really left me high and dry (just limp cutting).

No matter what you buy you will have issues at some point. Most will last the warranty period with out trouble. They are designed to go that amount of time with out breaking (for obvious corporate greed reasons).

I would steer away from Sears tractors...I have heard bad things about them.

Make sure you get a pressure oil system and not splash lubrication. A V-twin engine with pressure lubrication will properly oil the engine and make it run cooler and last longer. A lot of cheaper mowers do not have pressure lube systems.

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #9  
this is what is making it difficult. The Cub Cadet has a 3 year warranty but does not have a Hydrostatic transmission. The Craftsman has a 2 year warranty and does. So it appears I give up something on both... The Craftsman has some pretty bad online reviews. People seem to hate Sears these days.... I havent bought anything from them in the past so I have no point of reference. I have none for Cub Cadet either. I do have a local Cub Cadet dealer that would service me.

How much trim do you do? How much of the cutting is straight forward. Craftsman is not a good make.
Which one has grease fittings?

/ Please compare Cub Cadet to Craftsman models #10  
Buy the Cub - no question. The Sears probably has a Briggs engine, Briggs engines tend to have a limited life span.
I've seen some John Deeres at Depot in your price range.