Seeking tractor for small property

/ Seeking tractor for small property #1  

BarneyS

Tractor
N/A
I'm seeking to purchase a new tractor in the next few months. I'd like a a cab with A/C and heat. The FEL will be used primarily for moving rock and dirt, some digging. I'd like a mid mount 60 or 72 inch mower. I'll probably purchase a hoe and post hole digger at a later time. The only thing I can find that offers a mid mount mower near me is the JD 3520 or 3720. I've gotten varied answers from the local Bobcat dealer if they can even mount a mid-mower on a unit with 35-40 hp that has a cab with A/C. Mahindra and Kioti dealers are too far away if I ever need service. The Kubota dealer near me was less than impressive with their price point compared to JD features and HP.

Is there some reason it's so difficult to find a compact this size that doesn't offer a mid mount mower AND a cab with air?

Is there some reason I don't want a mid mount mower?

My ground is mostly flat, but I have a lot trees. I used to mow a lot of pasture ground and looking back all the time with the three point mower was a nuisance to me.

Thanks for any advice.

BarneyS

/ Seeking tractor for small property #2  
Welcome to TBN. :)

/ Seeking tractor for small property #3  
What are you going to be mowing with it. Yard or pasture, how often are you going to be mowing. I would look into a MF 1600 series. :thumbsup:

/ Seeking tractor for small property
I'll be mowing about 5 acres, all of which will be finish mowing, non pasture. I like the MF's, but the local dealer is also a Kubota dealer, and they don't really have any interest in selling me a MF compact. They keep pushing the Kubota when I talk to them.

/ Seeking tractor for small property #5  
WELCOME to TBN :)

I moved your thread to the Buying/Pricing/Comparisons Forum.

/ Seeking tractor for small property #6  
Welcome to TBN.
You may find some 40-50hp model don't offer mid PTO's.

By the sounds yo done your home work..have good idea,well your dealers let you take test spin,also how's dealerships service dept.

Make you quest fun.

/ Seeking tractor for small property #8  
Welcome to TBN Barney.

For 5-acres, I'd say a JD 3x20 series would be more than adequate, unless you just want and can afford a 4x20 series unit.

As for a Mid-Mount-Mower...if the JD has the drive on deck for either series, I'd seriously look into that, along with the auto-connect of the PTO shaft. I looked into a MMM for my 4200 shortly after I bought it in 2001, and when I saw what a PITA it was to put on and take off, I said forget it. The drive-on deck, and auto-connect weren't on the market then. Also, a MMM could be in the way if you start digging shallow; but wide holes with the loader.

Also a MMM will probably be in the way to do routine hydraulic system oil changes, especially if you intend to do that work yourself like most of us do.

/ Seeking tractor for small property #9  
In the Kubota line-up, to get a factory cab and a mid PTO, you would have to go with a B3000 or a Grand L. The B3000 is offered in two levels. One is a fairly basic tractor with the cab. The other version is a cold weather version which includes their premium features including position control on the 3 pt hitch and extendable lengths to make hooking up equipment easier as well as some creature comforts like tilt steering. The Grand L is a premium feature series in which mid PTO is not standard but can be added as an option. To me, a tractor the size of a grand L on "Small Property" would be an awfully big lawn mower, but to each their own. You can check pricing with Barlows in KY. They ship nationally and consistantly get high praise from people who have bought from them in the Kubota section.

As to the mid mount mower, the advantage to me is when mowing around things like trees or near the house, it is easier to manuever with a MMM. It is easier to look down and see where you are and it doesn't swing wide when you turn like a rear finish mower. The disadvantages are you are limited to buying it from the OEM and it will cost you more than a typical RFM. Also it is more of a pain to remove or hook up than an RFM is. It takes me about 5 minutes or so do hook up mine, a little less to take it off. Mine is a drive over deck, but does not automaticly hook up like the John Deere offers. With the RFM, it is easier to hook up, a large selection to choose from including cheaper light duty models or heavier duty/higher quality ones. Also an RFM can be backed under low hanging trees limbs to cut the grass under them. The disadvantage is it swings wider on turns, so cutting around things or in tight areas is a little more challenging than using a MMM.

/ Seeking tractor for small property
Thanks to all for the words of advice. On occassion the Mrs. may want to sit in the cab and mow a swath or two, so it sounds like a MMM will fit the bill. I'd hate to see her swing wide in a turn with a RFM and cut all my new spruce trees off at the ground. (Women, you can't live with 'em, pass the Beer Nuts!)

That JD 3720 cab and the drive over self latching deck is a pretty sweet set up, but with the FEL, cab and MMM, the price I was quoted for new is over $40k with tax, but I'm a guy and I like my toys.

Thanks again,

goodolebarn