Comparison Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff?

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #11  
I've lurked here for awhile, but I need to get serious about buying a tractor. I've only got 15 acres, but am hoping to convince the neighbor to eventually sell me 20 more. Main uses will be bushhogging, driveway maintenance, trail maintenance (wooded ravines). It sounds like I need around 35 PTO hp for a 6 foot bushhog, so that's the general guide I used at looking at models.

I went to both the Kubota and Deere dealers today.

The Kubota dealer had a few that he thought would work. These are all HST with loader.

4600 (arriving soon, not in yet) $23k
3940 $25k
MX5100 $25.8k
4240 $28k

Any of these stick out as too little/too much machine, or a particularly good deal?

The Deere dealer only had one 4000 series tractor on the lot.

4120 -- Also hydrostatic, loader, did have one rear hydraulic. $33k

To me, the stats on the Kubota 4240 and the Deere 4120 are pretty similar. Both are the "upscale" version, similar hp, etc. Is it purely the Deere name that adds $5k?

The paint color.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #12  
I've lurked here for awhile, but I need to get serious about buying a tractor. I've only got 15 acres, but am hoping to convince the neighbor to eventually sell me 20 more. Main uses will be bushhogging, driveway maintenance, trail maintenance (wooded ravines). It sounds like I need around 35 PTO hp for a 6 foot bushhog, so that's the general guide I used at looking at models.

I went to both the Kubota and Deere dealers today.

The Kubota dealer had a few that he thought would work. These are all HST with loader.

4600 (arriving soon, not in yet) $23k
3940 $25k
MX5100 $25.8k
4240 $28k

Any of these stick out as too little/too much machine, or a particularly good deal?

The Deere dealer only had one 4000 series tractor on the lot.

4120 -- Also hydrostatic, loader, did have one rear hydraulic. $33k

To me, the stats on the Kubota 4240 and the Deere 4120 are pretty similar. Both are the "upscale" version, similar hp, etc. Is it purely the Deere name that adds $5k?

I did a 'Build your Own" with the JD online configuration. Looks like he knocked your price down 1%, or $500. If that's all he's willing to negotiate, the Kubota is a no brainer. If the JD dealer gets his head out of his @ss and is willing to negotiate to the normal 15%, then your talking comparables. 15% off of $33.5k is 28.5k. Your in the same ball park now. Find a dealer that's willing to deal, though. Whoever your talking too, wasn't.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #13  
i own a MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quicktach loader.an if i was you id buy the MX5100 you priced at $25,800 in a heartbeat.if your even thinking about JD your paying for the green paint.for the price of that JD you could buy a 7040 kubota.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #14  
It's very simple, green paint is outlandishly expensive. Wait 'til you have to have it serviced at $80.00/hr.
Although you do get the prestige and priviledge of owning a high and mightly John Deere tractor.
I priced them when I bought my new Massey. Same specs and another $5,000.
Buy the kubota.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #15  
When I was shopping the JD dealer didn't even want to talk to me. He did a basic answers to any questions and didn't even bother getting out of his chair. I think they make their living off of larger ag tractors and are happy with the people who walk in and pay what they are asking because of the colors. BTW I really like the JD green (even painted the spare room JD green :laughing:) and yellow but for that kind of price difference, go with the Kubota.

That being said I think the Kubota HST+ transmission is head and shoulders above the rest. NH has the next best thing. Now that I own the HST+ the price of the JD would have to be cheaper, by quite a bit, before I would even look at it. Even now I wouldn't buy the MX5100, a very nice tractor, because it doesn't have the HST+ transmission. Ask the dealer to show you how it works or watch the videos at Messick's website.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #16  
My dealer priced a 2012 4120 hydro with 400x loader at $29300.
Local Kubota quoted higher than your dealer. Drive them both.
The JD has a two pedal hydro set up where the Kubota has
a one pedal style more like a trolling motor. See which you like.
I ended up buying a used JD 4120 for a third less.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #17  
Also, remember to consider how much weight of the tractor. Sometimes too big is too much; depends on what you'll use it for.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #18  
I use a JD 3038E bought at under $18,000 to run a 5-ft bush hog, boxblade a mile long gravel drive, push snow, drag logs, move dirt and more. It has a 38 hp engine and seems fully capable for the task. I am delighted with the purchase. I checked the orange tractors and found prices ultimately very similar for the same size and features. The JD financing gave it an advantage over Kioti and such. But my final decision hinged on factors such as dealer support. When you buy a tractor, you will probably own it for a long time. Having a dealer who has a good shop and expert technical staff is extremely important in my book. It certainly can be the tie-breaker between similar tractors of different color.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #19  
Check around but I found the MX5100 to be an interesting tractor. In fact, it was my third, and very close third, choice. Price won out so i bought my second choice and we have been VERY happy with the Case Farmall 60 (I got a screaming deal on one). If not for the price on the Case I would have bought the MX5100.

Sit in the unit and drive it a bit before you pull the trigger! You might be surprised! Also, with hills and up and downs you want to watch out for tipping! Width, height. Check on how these feel to people. Mine is a bit tippy and needs the rear wheels in the fully maximum extended position before I am happy.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #20  
One thing my John Deere dealer has over any other dealer of another make is a mobile service. They come to your house and do the maintenance on your tractor right in your yard. I get this done once a year as well as have ten service my 910a and I save money in the end actually. They only charge $60/hr labor and have both tractor and mower done within that hour. The guy actually pulls around a HUGE trailer that's basically a shop behind a ford f-450. They have any part and fluids your machine could ever need on there. Saves me time by not having to take my machine in myself and wait for days to get it back, not to mention I don't own a trailer big enough to haul my tractor so tracking one down is a pain. Deer is also good about sending you coupons in the mail as I've gotten all kinds of coupons for free stuff from cleaner, filters, percentage off of oil, tool box, etc.