Comparison Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff?

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #1  

tpetty

I've lurked here for awhile, but I need to get serious about buying a tractor. I've only got 15 acres, but am hoping to convince the neighbor to eventually sell me 20 more. Main uses will be bushhogging, driveway maintenance, trail maintenance (wooded ravines). It sounds like I need around 35 PTO hp for a 6 foot bushhog, so that's the general guide I used at looking at models.

I went to both the Kubota and Deere dealers today.

The Kubota dealer had a few that he thought would work. These are all HST with loader.

4600 (arriving soon, not in yet) $23k
3940 $25k
MX5100 $25.8k
4240 $28k

Any of these stick out as too little/too much machine, or a particularly good deal?

The Deere dealer only had one 4000 series tractor on the lot.

4120 -- Also hydrostatic, loader, did have one rear hydraulic. $33k

To me, the stats on the Kubota 4240 and the Deere 4120 are pretty similar. Both are the "upscale" version, similar hp, etc. Is it purely the Deere name that adds $5k?

Last edited:
   / Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff?
The 3940 and MX5100 are about the same price. I guess you trade more upscale bells for power between the two.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #3  
Good question...:eek:

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #5  
You mentioned that the deere 4120 was hydrostatic. What about the Kubota? That will CERTAINLY cost more.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff?
No, those were all hydrostatic quotes.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #7  
The quote on the deere sounds high. You may want to check with another dealer. 2 years ago, I got my 4320 with a MX6 cutter for less than that...

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #8  
Are the loaders equal? I have a 4120 and could not be more pleased with it. Lot of tractor for the money.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #9  
To run a six foot rotary cutter you really need only 30hp at PTO (5hp/ft) so you could save some bucks by backing off a bit. Kubota L3940 would certainly do the trick. Not sure what JD model. Kioti DK40se would save a few thousand more as would equivalent Mahindra.

/ Kubota 4240 vs Deere 4120 -- Why big price diff? #10  
I agree that the deere quote sounds high, so check around on that.

As to the kubotas, I'd wait until you lay eyes on the L4600 before you make the decision. It is an economy model that doesnt have all the bells and whistles of the Lxx40 series, but you get a lot of tractor for the money that way:thumbsup:

So only YOU can decide what is important, the bells and whistles, or a no frills machine for less money. Kinda like when buying a car...do you spend the money for a leather loaded up every option in the book car, or just the basics. It is personal preference only.

That said, I'd opt for the MX or the 4600 because I perfer a no-frills machine myself. And those are ALOT of tractor for the money:thumbsup: