Buying Advice Newbie needs opinions and advice

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice
Ah ok. So some Yanmar's are and some aren't grey market? I did see a dealer selling Yanmars labeled with a strange name "SanSui" or something along those lines. I was under the impression those labeled Yanmar are not.

Is there any rule of thumb in determining this?

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice #12  
There is a gray market forum on this site, someone there might be able to help you. A friend of my son in law used gray market tractors a lot, but I know next to nothing about them.

Grey Market Tractors - TractorByNet.com

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice #13  
Sorry for the confusion I started (Grey tractors):eek:

What I understand and have read shown about the "Grey" tractors, is allot of them have been worked to death overseas in the rice paddy fields, (mud and water) get cleaned up new tires and paint and come over here for cheap.
Read these if you want to get a better idea. Better explanation.

Gray market tractor

The Small Tractor FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

May be "cheaper" up front, but....

Ah ok some of that is making sense now. Lots of good reading for me to do. Thanks!

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice #15  
I have about the same amount of land, 5 acres, more or less and due to price, I chose the LS S3010 with FEL. I bought a "bundle" package consisting of the tractor/fel, 5' modern ag bush hog, and 18' tandum trailer for $17,000. I have since added a 6' maschio finishing mower and a 5' box scrapper and have not been disappointed with the performance. I have leveled off a 42x40 area for my new garage/workshop, bush hogged the back side and mowed the front 2 acres. Pricewise, the LS was between 3-5k less than the price of the big 3 and about the same as the Mahindra. I went with the LS more so than the Mahindra due to dealership being closer and it was a heavier tractor. Just a little info for digestion.

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice #16  
You are in the right ball park, size wise. It sounds like you will be doing a lot of heavy lifting. Given this and the amount of ground engagement work, I'd be looking for weight and loader performance. In the weight category, the heavy guys are Kioti (or Bobcat equivalent), Branson, and Mahindra. Kubotas are generally lighter, but still outstanding machines. You've been given good advice on Kubota and Deere. In MF, you might look for a lightly used 1500 series. If new, might think about Mahindra. Good deals now on the 2516. But, the Max 28XL looks to be a real nice newcomer. New Holland TC30 or 33. I would say definitely 4WD unless you move up to a utility tractor. They are heavy enough with just 2WD in most cases. LS in the new kid on the block. They appear to be offereing good deals to lure customers. Most owners seem happy.

Nicest new tractor for the money: Kioti. You get alot of extras, is well designed too.

/ Newbie needs opinions and advice #17  
When buying make sure you have a good parts availability. Old Fords, Farmalls, Massey Fergusons, etc can make you a good tractor! Make sure the FEL works well. Older machines will have a slower "spool" rate so the hydraulics do not work as quickly as on the newer machines.

Try several, spend some time with them and make sure everything works. Ensure the PTO will engage and disengage. Hook things up and make sure the hydraulics function. Makre sure the PTO can operate a mower or some other piece of equipment. Make sure the 3pt will go up and down and will lift equipment. Also, make friends with someone who can work on the older ones ;-)

Wish you the best!

Excellent advice from all. I greatly appreciate it.