new toys for the new boys

/ new toys for the new boys #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm about to make a purchase. I've read here for a few days and gained a ton of knowledge. Thanks to everyone.
I think I will order the following:
Kubota 2910 (I'll try to find a 'Program Tractor')
R-4 tires
60" MMM
402FL
tiller-1021 reverse cut
4690 BH
and an after market cab, probably a Curtis soft side.
This machine will be for the new home on 6.5 acres.
It's for construction, to a point, driveway, 2 ponds to be dug, walk-out basement, prep work for lawn and then mowing, tree planting (about 1500 trees over a 5-yr. period.), and just plain fun in general (second child hood type stuff, ya know.)
My big delema was to decide between the 7800 and 2910. I think I read enough to deside on the 2910, mainly for comfort and creature features. ($2,070 difference.)
I'm going to an open-house tomorrow, Sat. 5/03/03 to hopefully make the final deal and talk to the rep. (we have a dealer 20 minutes from here but there are fairly new to bota and don't have all the answers.)
I think I'm heading in the right direction here. If anyone has any feedback, lay it on me, please.
thanx

/ new toys for the new boys #2  
<font color="blue"> My big delema was to decide between the 7800 and 2910. I think I read enough to deside on the 2910 </font>

For the pond stuff and construction you'll probably be better off with the 2910, although even with that you might want to consider renting a 'dozer for the pond. But the larger tractor is probably a good idea in the long run. Good luck with your search and let us know what you get.

/ new toys for the new boys #3  
I really don't think a 2910 or CUT will dig two ponds and a basement in any reaonable time frame. You need an excavator for the ponds and a dozer or Bobcat for the basement. Other than that, sounds like a fine choice to maintain your place and I am sure you will be happy with it. Good luck. J

/ new toys for the new boys
Sorry for the confusion. The basement is being contracted out, along with the house. It is the walk-out and other landscaping that I will take care of. The first pond will be in the middle of the turn-around for the driveway and will have a waterfall. The pond itself will be about 10' W, 25' L, and 5-6' D. The other pond will be larger and will be a 'spare-time' project for sure.
thanx guys
any feedback is appreciated and welcome.

/ new toys for the new boys #5  
Depending on the depth of the dirt in the "walkout" area for the basement and your soil types you might want to also consider renting equipment for that also. Digging in undisturbed clay can be quite a challenge for CUT.

I am currently in that situation of landscaping and doing the basement walkout area. I have a TC40D which can dig fairly well but am considering renting a crawler/loader for a day to move the mass amount of dirt. What I could do in a day with a crawler/loader will probably take me at least 4 to 5 times longer with the TC40D.

Of course the justification for the TC40D purchase is exactly what you have mentioned and my wife reminds me of that whenever I mention renting some equipment. However she does see how long it is taking and is getting anxious about actually getting the work done so we may endup renting for a day. Don't want to change your decision around your tractor purchase just help set expectations around when the "big toys" are needed.

/ new toys for the new boys #6  
I am perhaps in a unique situation in that I own a 2910, and my dad owns a TC40D. If Dverbarg is having a time with his TC, you might want to reconsider doing the same project with a 2910. I've used both and the capabilities of the TC far exceed the 2910, which is very capable in its own right.

To be fair, neither of these tractors have a backhoe (you lucky guy, you /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. This probably will make a huge difference.

I love my 2910 and think you're getting a fine tractor. One thing you might consider, though, is getting a larger tractor and then buying a lawn tractor to do the mowing. That is what I did, as the 2910 was too big for my limited yard, and anything smaller wouldn't move the dirt like I wanted. A week ago I plunked down the $ for a Kubota T1670, which is just a small lawn tractor. Now I have the right tool for both jobs. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ new toys for the new boys
I think I'm at the upper limits of my van/trailer capabilities already. I really don't want a much bigger tractor if it means a bigger trailer and a bigger truck to pull it. I don't plan to trailer it much at all, but if I did.............. My mother lives next door and she is more anxious than I am to get this machine and start diggin'. I did attend vo-tech for heavy equipment (30+ years ago) and I went through the process of owning used heavy equipment (crawlers, FEL's, BH's, dump trucks and the like). I'm here to tell ya', that's like work. I'm gettin' too old to work. I have a lot of 'Play' left in me though.
I have my wifes full blessings on this and she has justified some attachments for me and to top it off, she is going to the open house tomorrow with me. My mother stopped in today and I showed her a brochure, and she is going with tomorrow too. That's where I make the best deal (I hope) and sign on the dotted line (I hope). I'm so excited and probably won't sleep tonight. I'll lay in bed with 'Bota' visions.

/ new toys for the new boys #8  
Midlife,

So like where in Minnesota are you from? I am from Rochester.

murph

/ new toys for the new boys #10  
Re: Pond tool.

That is one nice piece of machinery. However, I don't call 35 to 50 HP tractors "small" as the site contends /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I would think the upper end of the "L" series would be needed to get the full benefit of that machine. I did'nt even know thay made road grader attachments for the 3 point hitch. Thanx for enlightening me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Ken