Comparison Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #31  
Wow, with differences like that, I wonder if JD and Kubota are going to reset their profit expectations and try to close the gap a little bit.

If a Kioti comparably equipped to a Kubota sees a $10k advantage, with the loyalty of Kioti customers, and testimonials on boards such as this, Kubota would be hard pressed to keep their share of the market.

I bought the L3940 because I liked it, and the closest Kioti dealer is pretty far away. Mind you I'm happy with the deal I made and the machine I'm getting, but in today's economy, I just don't see your average everyday consumer paying 10k more for HST+ and a slightly different shade of paint.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #32  
MtnViewRanch said:
I'm guessing that he did not want you comparing the Mahindra TYMs to the TYMs. The TYMs are a bit nicer than the Mahindra TYMs in my opinion.

As far as not mentioning Kioti, you did not, but you did mention (plus others) And as far as resale, it definitely has a lot to do with the region that a person is in as to what they can get for their used tractor. ;)

I really liked the TYM 603. The only beef I had with it was the operator station was a bit cramped, and I would have had (the dealer) to make a new mount the move the seat back and higher.

But in the end - I was worried about the dealer longevity, quickly getting parts and resell. I keep checking the TYM forums on here - and it's a ghost town.

So after looking, looking and looking - I found my used Kubota L5030GST FEL for a decent price. Since I didn't buy new, I am positive I could resell mine in a couple of years for the same or close to same money I paid for it. Cant do that buying new with any of them.

You are definitely right about location dictating price, but that is with most things. Mix in local economic conditions - boom / bust - a guy could make a good living buying low, hauling to a boom area and reselling.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #33  
I often wonder of different dealers, we just priced a grand L 3540 against a kioti 35 and when using 72 months with interest we were only 10 dollars a month more and that was our our normal pricing and was just what the customer told us and he did provide a copy of the other quote after we told him our price.

Resale in certain areas where there is a reputable dealer for the brand will be higher then in areas where dealers are scarce. Just a fact of life so some tractors you could sell at good prices any where.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #34  
I'm on the market for the same size tractor as well, but have not got a dealer quote from Kubota dealer yet. Using the Build My Kubota function in their web site the total price of the comparable "package" is about $14k higher than virtually identical one from Mahindra. Are Kubota dealers typically quoting much below the Build My Kubota pricing? The local JD dealer here virtually always asks (and gets) the sticker prices for their CUT and UT models.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #35  
I'm on the market for the same size tractor as well, but have not got a dealer quote from Kubota dealer yet. Using the Build My Kubota function in their web site the total price of the comparable "package" is about $14k higher than virtually identical one from Mahindra. Are Kubota dealers typically quoting much below the Build My Kubota pricing? The local JD dealer here virtually always asks (and gets) the sticker prices for their CUT and UT models.

Our dealer sells for about 12 percent or so below the build your own price; don't know anything about Mahindra so I can't help there.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #36  
Our dealer sells for about 12 percent or so below the build your own price; don't know anything about Mahindra so I can't help there.

Thanks. Just to clarify, I have a dealer quote from Mahindra just do not have one from Kubota yet. 12% below Build My Kubota would narrow the difference to about $7k instead of $14k, so seems like I better go visit my local Kubota guy to see what he comes up with.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #37  
Thanks. Just to clarify, I have a dealer quote from Mahindra just do not have one from Kubota yet. 12% below Build My Kubota would narrow the difference to about $7k instead of $14k, so seems like I better go visit my local Kubota guy to see what he comes up with.

Have you checked with Barlow's; some have had good luck with them.

We use to have two dealers in our area and one was significantly higher than the other.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #38  
Much of the difference in price between the Kubota and others is in the transmission. The HST+ in the Kubota is in a league of it's own.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #39  
Much of the difference in price between the Kubota and others is in the transmission. The HST+ in the Kubota is in a league of it's own.

I think for some commercial applications you probably are right, but I think for Harry Homeowner there are low range jobs(ground engaging) and mid range jobs. Not too many low then mid then low then mid, ad infinitum jobs?
I was box blading yesterday and I suppose in theory I could've used mid range to back up some of the time, but for 5 seconds a pass, for 8 hours a year? Moving dirt 5% faster isn't really worth that much to me. For the price difference I'd be farther ahead with a bigger tractor and box blade.
Also, the better fuel efficiency is worth something too, but for H.H. its not significant either.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010
IndyIan said:
I think for some commercial applications you probably are right, but I think for Harry Homeowner there are low range jobs(ground engaging) and mid range jobs. Not too many low then mid then low then mid, ad infinitum jobs?
I was box blading yesterday and I suppose in theory I could've used mid range to back up some of the time, but for 5 seconds a pass, for 8 hours a year? Moving dirt 5% faster isn't really worth that much to me. For the price difference I'd be farther ahead with a bigger tractor and box blade.
Also, the better fuel efficiency is worth something too, but for H.H. its not significant either.

I couldn't agree more. HST+ is cool, but saving 7-10 grand is way cooler...! If I had to put a price on the HST+, I'd say I would pay 2k extra for it. "Old school" HST is pretty cool on its own.