Comparison Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #41  
I think for some commercial applications you probably are right, but I think for Harry Homeowner there are low range jobs(ground engaging) and mid range jobs. Not too many low then mid then low then mid, ad infinitum jobs?
I was box blading yesterday and I suppose in theory I could've used mid range to back up some of the time, but for 5 seconds a pass, for 8 hours a year? Moving dirt 5% faster isn't really worth that much to me. For the price difference I'd be farther ahead with a bigger tractor and box blade.
Also, the better fuel efficiency is worth something too, but for H.H. its not significant either.

I couldn't agree more. HST+ is cool, but saving 7-10 grand is way cooler...! If I had to put a price on the HST+, I'd say I would pay 2k extra for it. "Old school" HST is pretty cool on its own.

These comments are spot on. The HST+ sure is nice - and when priced equally definitely better than the standard HST, but for $7-10,000 you can get a machine with a lot more HP and a lot more capable than the HST+'s features.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #42  
If a Kioti comparably equipped to a Kubota sees a $10k advantage, with the loyalty of Kioti customers, and testimonials on boards such as this, Kubota would be hard pressed to keep their share of the market.

this is a wacky isolated case. I can say we've never seen outgunned like this in my experience. As for share, last year Kubota set an all time high and the company keeps growing in very visible ways. They never seem to care about anyone but Deere.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #43  
I completely agree with what is stated in the first part of the statement. You won't see this spread always - and in my location when I compared in 08 when I bought the 3120, not even close to anything seen/talked about here.

this is a wacky isolated case. I can say we've never seen outgunned like this in my experience. As for share, last year Kubota set an all time high and the company keeps growing in very visible ways. They never seem to care about anyone but Deere.

And they have a very good shot of overtaking them - especially in the compact market, if they haven't already (I don't know the actual numbers). The problem is Deere has such a wider lineup (as you very well know)

My take is that Deere does two things better than anyone else - big tractors and little tractors - its their tweeners that are middle of the pack and very comparable to other tractors and in some cases other tractors are better. What I mean by big and little is lawn and garden tractors (even up to the 1 series) and then tractors in the 5000 M series and above are better than everyone else. Their 3000 and 4000 series tractors are very nice, but they are a lot more competitive. Around these parts at least I still see mostly green tractors in the 2-4000 series, but there is a lot of competition. On the other hand, a big farmer or the lawn mower is almost always a Deere. Little more variety in the older machines, but almost all lawn and garden and farm tractors 10 years of age or newer are Deere. I know of only a handful of them that aren't. Agree or disagree, I really don't care, just my opinion on the situation. I really do like the competition and if anything I think the strong sway towards Deere could only be a negative thing if they don't keep their products up. They are experiencing this competition in the 2-4000 series, and hopefully it will only make our end products better.

Last edited:
   / Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #44  
in my area tractors 40hp and below are generally Kubota's with a few New Holland's mixed in there and some Deere's. Kubota has by far the most tractors in this segment though in this area. the Kubota's are especially popular with the horse farm crowd which seems to have been picking up in the past several years around here. now, when you get into the Ag Utility line (50hp and up) it's not even close....95% John Deere. there are so many John Deere 5003/5D/E series around here that I've honestly lost count. Get into the local farmers and it's all John Deere. you'll see them have a 100hp or so Kubota for a few months but then you won't see it anymore as they'll have a new John Deere of comparable size sitting in the barn. the hay farmers and row crop farmers are all Deere. Kubota specializes in a certain market here and dominates it and then Deere has their own market and dominates that. the local Case IH/New Holland dealer has been getting competative lately but he has a tough road to travel. I've never even seen a Mahindra or Kioti in person.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #45  
in my area tractors 40hp and below are generally Kubota's with a few New Holland's mixed in there and some Deere's. Kubota has by far the most tractors in this segment though in this area. the Kubota's are especially popular with the horse farm crowd which seems to have been picking up in the past several years around here. now, when you get into the Ag Utility line (50hp and up) it's not even close....95% John Deere. there are so many John Deere 5003/5D/E series around here that I've honestly lost count. Get into the local farmers and it's all John Deere. you'll see them have a 100hp or so Kubota for a few months but then you won't see it anymore as they'll have a new John Deere of comparable size sitting in the barn. the hay farmers and row crop farmers are all Deere. Kubota specializes in a certain market here and dominates it and then Deere has their own market and dominates that. the local Case IH/New Holland dealer has been getting competative lately but he has a tough road to travel. I've never even seen a Mahindra or Kioti in person.

Around here you would have to spend all day looking for a Deere of any size. I know where one, about 50hoish, is and I did see one for sale last year but that's it. Being in milking country where most fields are corn one would have thought you would see lots of green. There's a big JD dealer 50 or so miles south so that area could be different.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010
Well, the time has finally come! After longing for the Kubota and then seeing the price difference between it and Mahindra and Kioti, I've decided on the Kioti DK50SE cab. I'm adding the 2nd remote, cutting edge, 48" forks, and the Kioti backhoe w/18" bucket. Still looking for the perfect box blade (hey guys at EA...cutting deals for TBN folks??). After you add ALL that up (INCLUDING the backhoe), the total is STILL less than just a 5240 w/HD bucket, cutting edge, 3 remotes, (NO backhoe) and all the stuff you have to add to the cab to make it comparable to what Kioti throws in their base price. The Kubota is a great machine.....but come on. There is no way I can spend that much more for one. It isn't like I'm comparing it with a Chinese tractor here. These are 2 very comparable units.

As for the Mahindra 5010, the cab was a little bigger feeling and had a slightly stronger FEL, but the Kioti had a much nicer feel, tighter turning and was still cheaper. Oh, and there was no question that the Kioti could take a hoe.

I'll be getting it mid-July once I get back from vacation so stay tuned...but in the Kioti section!

Thanks everyone!

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #47  
Well, the time has finally come! After longing for the Kubota and then seeing the price difference between it and Mahindra and Kioti, I've decided on the Kioti DK50SE cab. I'm adding the 2nd remote, cutting edge, 48" forks, and the Kioti backhoe w/18" bucket. Still looking for the perfect box blade (hey guys at EA...cutting deals for TBN folks??). After you add ALL that up (INCLUDING the backhoe), the total is STILL less than just a 5240 w/HD bucket, cutting edge, 3 remotes, (NO backhoe) and all the stuff you have to add to the cab to make it comparable to what Kioti throws in their base price. The Kubota is a great machine.....but come on. There is no way I can spend that much more for one. It isn't like I'm comparing it with a Chinese tractor here. These are 2 very comparable units.

As for the Mahindra 5010, the cab was a little bigger feeling and had a slightly stronger FEL, but the Kioti had a much nicer feel, tighter turning and was still cheaper. Oh, and there was no question that the Kioti could take a hoe.

I'll be getting it mid-July once I get back from vacation so stay tuned...but in the Kioti section!

Thanks everyone!

I think you made a good decision:thumbsup:

You should consider getting 3 remotes a Top n Tilt kit for the 3ph and a hydraulic box blade though. Anything less than the heavy duty hydraulic models won't be enough to ballast that size tractor properly. Plus it makes it really easy to raise/lower the scarfires on the box blade.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #48  

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations on your new tractor; I am sure you will love it.

Martian raises some good points, I have an L5740 being set up and decided to go with three rear remotes and TnT. I have a box blade or would go with something heavier with hydraulic scarifiers; still may get one some day.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #49  
Congratulations on your new tractor; I am sure you will love it.

Martian raises some good points, I have an L5740 being set up and decided to go with three rear remotes and TnT. I have a box blade or would go with something heavier with hydraulic scarifiers; still may get one some day.

Let your dealer know, $585+ shipping is what it would cost you to get a complete "TnT" kit. ;)

I would be more than happy to sell your dealer the kit if that is how it needs to be handled.

If you are going with the Kubota OEM kit, would you please post how much that they get for it these days. If not, that is fine also. ;)

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #50  
Let your dealer know, $585+ shipping is what it would cost you to get a complete "TnT" kit. ;)

I would be more than happy to sell your dealer the kit if that is how it needs to be handled.

If you are going with the Kubota OEM kit, would you please post how much that they get for it these days. If not, that is fine also. ;)

Too late; already wrote the check and just waiting on the bucket to come in and weld hooks on.

The Kubota build shows the cost installed at $843.00; who knows what you actually pay for any one item as I traded my tractor in and based the purchase on the total cost. I have no doubt I could of saved some money going through Barlow's or setting up with non Kubota stuff, but this is our 4th tractor and get excellent service and free or discounted stuff, so it is what it is.