Comparison Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #1  

rjwerth

Gold Member
Tractor
DK50SE Cab
Well, after over a year of research and contemplation I think it's time to get serious about a tractor. Right now, I'm looking at the Kubota L5240 and the Mahindra 5010 both w/a cab. Same dealer for either machine so that part is out of the equation for the moment. The dealer told me that the 5010 was about $7000 cheaper than a comparably equipped L5240. Say what? that's an awful big difference in price for 2 VERY similar tractors! Official quotes come tomorrow for verification.

Drove both for about 10 minutes each just to get a feel for the basics and now I'm scratching my head to figure out where in the world the price difference comes in. Quality? Features? I know and like the HST+ on the Kubota and it has a much tighter turning radius. The loader build on the Kubota seems nicer in general, but the mount on the Mahindra seems better. The cab on the Mahindra seems a little less cramped but the display and controls seem a little cheaper.

$7000 is a whole lot of cash so what am I missing here? I already ruled out Deere because it was over $5000 more than the Kubota. Now I almost feel like I'm going to rule out the Kubota for the same reason.

I should probably go to the Kioti dealer...but I think I want to sort through these two options first. Thoughts anyone?

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #2  
My educated guess would be that Kubota is more established in the US market and so Mahindra is being aggressive in their pricing. Also the Kubota has a few more hp.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #3  
If you have a Kioti dealer close by to go to, be sure to go there and look, just so you won't be second guessing yourself later on. ;)

Good luck

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #4  
Both are good tractors. When I looked at the Mahindra 5010, I got a price around $28k. Just remember the 5010 is not a real Mahindra tractor. This tractor is made by TYM. I just did not like the placement of the fuel filter and no guards to protect the steering linkages on the 5010. I think Kubota put more thought into engineering their tractors.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #5  
How is the noise level in the cab? If just by superficial things the tractor looks cheaper, what do you think you might find underneath???

The hydro plus is a big addition as it makes it six ranges instead of three. This is a big plus on hills as well as occasional rough terrain while in cruise.
Some might also like the lower stance of the Kubota cab for clearance under tree's as well as just getting it to go into storage. You might also notice that the hitch on the Kubota is just like big ag tractors with external cylinders instead of the old cylinder in the top casting which is far more expensive to work on.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #6  
If you have a Kioti dealer close by to go to, be sure to go there and look, just so you won't be second guessing yourself later on. ;)

Good luck

You a part time kioti salesmen?

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #7  

You're a full time Kubota salesman, and an obvious one at that. IIRC, Brian has a couple of Mahindra's, so I would say he isn't a Kioti salesman. And the OP also suggested he may take a look at a Kioti before deciding.

I would agree on the fact that he should compare all models at once before eliminating any. Take a look at what the Kioti dealer has to offer and go from there.

If it was me, though, I would not be able to justify that much more for a very similar tractor. Mahindra is a good brand, and even though that model is made by TYM, it is still a very good machine. Go see about a Kioti price before deciding anything, though.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010
Yes indeed. The 5010 does have about 4 less horses. But it isn't a Turbo. Not really a plus or minus per se, just an observation. Might try to find out what the 6010 is going for if I start to worry about HP. Most of what I plan to do for a while is box-blading hard clay soil and FEL work so HP isn't as critical. I'll probably never turn on the PTO but you never know what tomorrow brings.

Maneuverability is pretty important since I'm not working a lot of land here and trees are everywhere so that tends to favor the Kubota. I'm a fairly tall guy (6'2) w/long arms and felt a little more cramped in the Kubota's cab. Oh, one thing that was thought out very well on the 5010: a popup style ceiling vent so you didn't have to be so quick to turn on the air. Also gives you a bit more headroom.

Don't know what to think about a TYM but I'm going to guess that Mahindra isn't going to let just anyone make tractors for them.

Noise in the cabs seemed to be about the same, BUT I was just toying around and didn't have the machines working at all.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #9  
I'd be really surprised if you find a 7k price difference when it comes down to it. 9/10 times those kind of spreads end up being false, or some weird localized pricing dynamic.

/ Kubota L5240 vs Mahindra 5010 #10  

No Art, I am not a Kioti sales guy. I own 1 Cat, 3 Cases, & 2 Mahindras, I am in construction and trying to get out of that with my Fit Rite Hydraulic biz. I am a realist however and know for a FACT that no individual maker of tractors makes every single one of their tractors better than everyone else's. Certain sizes of one brand may be better than the competition and another size may not be quite as good. It is just the way that it is. When I am looking at spending a large sum of money, I tend to look at as many possible variables as I can. Nothing is certain, but I try to research as much as I can so that I FEEL that I have made what would be for me the best decision.

If money is no big deal, then most of that makes no difference, you just sell and move on, but for those of us where bigger investments ARE a big deal, then we need to do as much research as possible so that our decision is easier to live with good or bad. ;)