I took a test drive

/ I took a test drive #1  

Abitnutz

I took a test drive of the Mountaineer (http://www.gierecompany.com/mountaineer.htm). It's an interesting little beast. The traction and maneuverability were unreal. It was quiet, smooth and very comfortable. It uses the B&S Vanguard 18hp V-twin and the hydraulics look to be hydrogear. The list price is pretty high at $7,700 but that included the deck which is a very solid unit, not stamped out and the dealer dropped the price to a much more attractive number right away. It doesn't have power steering, which would have been nice for the wife. Although the steering, even with 4 wheel steering, was little worse than any others. Although the hydrostatic steering like the Kubota BX1500 would VERY desirable. I also wish it had a liquid cooled engine. The manufacturer said they've had many requests for this, maybe they'll do it. If it had those two features this would be a perffect compact tractor for me. I am worried that this is such a small and new company. If things should not go well, I could be stuck with an orphan.

/ I took a test drive #2  
That's an awful lot of money for a riding lawn mower. You can get a diesel powered compact utility tractor for that price with a pto and a lot more choice of implements.

/ I took a test drive #3  
"That's an awful lot of money for a riding lawn mower. You can get a diesel powered compact utility tractor for that price with a pto and a lot more choice of implements. "

Have you seen the Deere lawn tractor prices? This machine is actually a bit lower priced.
Neat machine, but I'd be leery of the company staying in business too.

/ I took a test drive #4  
It looks pretty intersting. I'd still do a side by side comparison to the Power Trac PT422 or PT425. The loader for the Mountaineer is still listed as "to come" and doesn't list any specs. The PT has the loader built in and looks much heavier. You'd be amazed at the loader work the PT can do.

If you are set on a lawn tractor, that still looks pretty neat. Keep us posted. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ I took a test drive
The Mountaineer has one thing the PT425 doesn\'t...

The mountaineer has one thing the PT-425 doesn't...at least for now. A dealer that is about 40 miles from me. The PT-425 looks great to me...would look even better if it had an LC engine...but I'm not a mechanic so dealer support is very important to me. All in all I'll prob end up with a Kubota BX-1500 and try not to do too much damage. Man but that 4 wheel steering sure makes it easy to get in tight places. I've not driven the PT-425 but I'm sure it's just maneuverable as the Mountaineer. I also really like the the engine is in the back.

/ I took a test drive #6  
Re: The Mountaineer has one thing the PT425 doesn\'t...

Yeah, dealer support can be a major concern. However, there isn't much to service on the PT. Just a motor that any good lawn mower shop can repair, all steel welded construction. The only major concern I had(and still keep in the back of my mind) is the hydraulics. The hoses and cylinders can all be serviced/repaired locally. The pumps might be a problem, but we have some good hydraulic shops around and so far, the phone support and mail service from the Power Trac factory has been outstanding.

You're right, a liquid cooled engine would be nice to have in the lineup.

Did you find any specifications as to the angle of slope the Mountaineer machine will handle? It looked pretty steep in the videos. The PT425 is limited to 25 degrees by the Kohler engine oil system(could suck air and cause damage). The larger Power Tracs with diesels have more slope capacity, with the one model rated at 45 degrees, (YIKES).