Tractor Sizing Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #1  

carlmill

Tractor
Shopping
The problem is I am a total tractor rookie, I have no way of translating information in the manufacturer's specifications into what capabilities these machines have. My impression is, the essential variables are power and weight with a myriad of other issues secondary.
What I would like to do is lay out some goals for my property and ask you to advise what level machine is necessary to accomplish these goals. Feel free to be specific with model suggestions. The dealerships within a reasonable distance of us carry John Deere, New Holland, and Massey Ferguson.

I am a third-generation owner of a few hundred acres situated in the Northwest Adirondacks. Much of the land is streams and marshes with a number of rocky outcroppings that we call Islands. A small portion of the land is level sandy areas left by the glaciers that until the early 40s were hayfield for a dairy farm, since then these fields have been abandoned except for red pine plantations that were planted in the 60s. The property has two logging roads which, once the ground thaws and dries out a bit, are suitable for pickup truck traffic. Besides, there are a few ATV trails.

The tractor would be used to keep open the roads, improve and grade the surface with stone, expand the ATV trails, move modest rocks, move firewood, fill wet areas, drag good sized logs, and such like. Our neighbor would use it for similar things and also snowblowing in the winter.
Our biggest initial project would be reclaiming 3 1/2 acres of the sandy level area that were not planted in pines in the 60s. Currently that area is covered by brush, saplings, pine, birch, poplar, cherry up to 10 inches in diameter scattered about. Rather than buy a backhoe attachment that would really only be used one time for this particular project, I would hire a tracked excavator and operator to do the initial stump pulling and piling of the large stuff. Once that was done, the tractor would be used to brush hog the smaller stuff, till, level/grade. When this area is clear it will be used for wildlife feedlots, berry bushes, and a few fruit trees. Once the field is established, the tractor would be used to spread lime and fertilizer annually to maintain and improve the field.

There's more than that but you get the idea. What sized tractor do you suggest?

Thanks,

Carl

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #2  
Something in the 4x20 JD frame size sounds about right. Maybe up to the 5000 series.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #3  
for what your wanting todo the smallest id go is a MX5100 HST 4X4 w/LA844 quicktatch loader.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #4  
It really depends on how much work it will be to do all of that stuff. You know better than us there. Anywhere from a 3x20 Deere to a 5000 series if you need a lot of work done. My $.02 would be to look at the 4x20s and more specifically a 4520. it really depends if your going to be totally redoing the land and working the fields or more general purposes. Go to your dealers and see what they have to offer you and go from there.

Oh, and Welcome to TBN!

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #5  
I am pretty much in agreement with the previous posts and recommend reading up on HST and the types of geared units as some of those I would recommend are available in HST and some not. The proper tire selection will also come in to play, type of cutter, proper ballast, whether you need a grapple and so on.

I think one of the moderators has a book on tractor selection.

Oftentimes for a novice, it can be helpful to rent a tractor for a day or weekend to use and get a baseline for determining which size will work best.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #6  
One of the most important things to consider is stability on hill sides. Personally I didnot consider this in my last purchase six years ago and own a tractor that has limited use on the land I currently own. The wider and longer the better in my opinion.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #7  
One of the most important things to consider is stability on hill sides. Personally I didnot consider this in my last purchase six years ago and own a tractor that has limited use on the land I currently own. The wider and longer the better in my opinion.

Good point, we work on slopes, so we need the stability.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #8  
Identify nearby tractor dealers (within ~100 mile radius) and look at models in the 40-50 hp (pto) range. Get one with a front end loader (FEL) that has a 6-ft wide bucket and get the skid steer quick attach (SSQA) option for the loader. For example, mine is a 2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, power steering, gear tranny 8F/2R, triple rear hydraulic remotes) with the ML250 FEL (6-ft wide bucket, 2950 lb lift to 10.5 ft height, three chain hooks on the top edge of the bucket, SSQA). Cost: about $19K.

5525 delivery.JPG5525 MF124.JPGRemotes 5525-2.JPG5525 SSQA.JPG

Something this size would handle your jobs.

Good luck.

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need #9  
What flusher says is good. Don't get in that brand blind frame of mind. Work with dealers up too a couple hours away or less. HP around 40 or so and go test drive them all. Make it a fun time.:)

/ Need suggestion for what class of tractor I need
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm surprised you don't get bummed with all the newbie questions, great information on this site.

So far I'm having trouble finding "non-brand name" dealers within a reasonable distance, will continue to surf.

So far, based on the general advice, I have so far looked at Deere 4320(28,200), Kubota L4240(30,000), Massey 1635(31,300). Have not done a detailed apple/apple comparison yet. Comments?

The numbers in parenthesis after each model are the supposed base retail prices, haven't discussed discounts yet. Somewhere I read to expect 15% off retail, is that about right?

I have a lead on a '05 JD with 900-hrs and 400FEL, asking 20500. I'll be looking at that this week, sound like a reasonable way to save a bunch?

Carl