2 properties

/ 2 properties #22  
At very least, go to a B size Kubota...
We have a BX2660 and a B7500 and the BX is painfully slow going down the road...
If bushhogging, the B series has a much tougher underbelly and more ground clearance than the BX.

Aaron Z

I can attest to that. I have driven my BX 6 miles once one way before I got my trailer big enough to put on. it was painfully slow. took nearly an hour at rabbit speed, 2900-3000 rpms. never again. :ashamed:
I would jump to thee B series since it has midrange and the rabbit gear is faster then BX and driving it 2 miles to your other lot would be much more bearable. It would be good idea if you had a cargo box left on your new lot or garage built for your BX.

As for taming the land in 5 years with BX with 4 ft bush hog, its absolutely doable, but I dont see any pics of your current land so we are unable to determine whats really best. You can't go wrong with a B series, but the BX makes it a nicer mowing machine with MMM once its tamed. You will find the BX with MMM is so much better then your sears tractor, but it will be nice to have both like I do. I got a el cheapo mower and BX to mow with and I mow majority of time with BX.

/ 2 properties #23  
You will find the BX with MMM is so much better then your sears tractor, but it will be nice to have both like I do. I got a el cheapo mower and BX to mow with and I mow majority of time with BX.

IMO between our B7500 (Ground contact 60" deck) and BX2660 (Suspended 60" deck), I would go with the B for the faster ground speed and better ride (even though it has less HP)... Would take the L3830 over either one, but it is harder on the ground.

Aaron Z

/ 2 properties #24  
I'm in the majority here, I really think you'd be disappointed in the performance of a sub compact in these scenarios. The tractor would take a long time to accomplish anything. You could do everything, but there would be A LOT of fuel burnt going to and from, and A LOT of fuel burnt doing simple tasks that a slightly larger tractor would accomplish in much less time. If you have a lot of time on your hand than by all means go with a SCUT, but my $.02 go with at least a JD2x20 or a Kubota B or whatever other brand of similar HP/size.

/ 2 properties
Yesterday I looked at and drove a few tractors. More on that in a minute.

I've narrowed my choices to: Mahindra 2516, BX2660/25, GC 2400/10, CC2400 and 1026R.

I needed to be honest with myself on usage and the steepness of the hills. I will only brush hog 1 time then begin mowing about 4.5 acres...the rest is creek or driveway. The driveway is in place but needs filled in and crowned. 85% of this tractors life will be mowing, 7.5% FEL and BB work, 5% driving between the properties, 2.3% snow removal (after we build and move) and 0.2% brush hogging.

I will not post a picture of the steep areas...pictures of hills are like high dives at swimming pools: everyone will tell you it is not that high but once they climb to the top- it is a very different view. Same with my hill, from pictures you will tell me it is not very steep. I need a low center of gravity.

I drove or sat on every tractor listed (did not drive them all due to weather). My conclusion: Anything done while sitting on a 1026R cannot be considered work...it is that comfortable. The auto connect deck is just not fair to the other units.

I did not drive the 1026R but unless it has a square wheel...it is on the top of my list.

I will probably change my mind again though...

/ 2 properties #26  
I'm in the majority here, I really think you'd be disappointed in the performance of a sub compact in these scenarios. The tractor would take a long time to accomplish anything. You could do everything, but there would be A LOT of fuel burnt going to and from, and A LOT of fuel burnt doing simple tasks that a slightly larger tractor would accomplish in much less time. If you have a lot of time on your hand than by all means go with a SCUT, but my $.02 go with at least a JD2x20 or a Kubota B or whatever other brand of similar HP/size.

I agree, buying a small machine to play with is one thing but isn't cost effective for the larger one time jobs. I have an x749 that I use for mowing and cleanup work in tight quarters but for the larger jobs I use 40 to 60 hp compact tractors. Just alot more efficient, makes quick work of projects the small tractor (and you) will have to fight. I would hire out the heavy work and buy a suitable mower or L&G tractor

The x700 series is very good for slopes and the 1026R is a better 8 in 1 tool kind of a toss up imo.

/ 2 properties #27  
In a somewhat similar situation, in that our homestead is a two acre plot that our BX handled very well. Mowing, hauling, snow removal etc. I loved that BX.

But couple things have happened on the road of life. First, I got back into market gardening and put an acre into production here at the homestead. The BX just couldn't handle the implements required, nor did it have the ground clearance necessary. So, I bought a B.

Since then, I've bought 6 acres to the north of me a mile. Half woods and half abandoned dairy/christmas tree field. The BX would have a been a very poor choice for the new land, whereas the B is fairly well suited for the work up there. I won't even discuss the vulnerable trans fan on the current BX configuration.

In the real world, the ground clearance is dramatic, it is more than stats on a sheet of paper.

My $.02 is rather simple. You'll find you need a compact not a subcompact tractor.

/ 2 properties #28  
This is just my $.02 .. My freind started with a BX , used it about 1 to 2 years, then traded for a B , had it 21 months when i bought it , cause it wasn't big enough , he now has an L3830 . This works for his increased needs. I IMO , would go with a B or equal size. I have had my B7800 for 6 1/2 years now , have put over 1,100 hrs. on it . Have 4.11 ac. half wooded half cleared , and I use it for small business . Driveways , rc mowing , phd , roto tilling , and some clean up. I think this size is more fitted as your needs will change a little over time . the more you use it the more you'll what to use it !!:D:D What ever you choose INJOY ..

/ 2 properties #29  
I use a Bobcat ct120 hydrostatic tractor with loader (about equivalent to a ck20) on 6 acres of flat sandy peat (also a little wet at times). It does everything I need it to do just a lot slower than my Minneapolis Moline 50 hp (without power steering). I pull Buckthorn mow small brush, spread dirt and do everything you plan on doing. I always seem to wish for more hp/ground clearance and farm tread tires instead of my flotation tires (I could use better traction at times). I have a small garden tractor for mowing the lawn and blowing snow. I get a lot more done with my Bobcat ct120 than my big tractor because it always works, is easy to steer and is more maneuverable in the woods. It is also easy to haul in my stock trailer should I need to take it some place. I am thinking of moving up to at least 30 pto hp for better digging plowing capabilities for garden work. But I also want a bigger boat. I think I will end up keeping what I have as it gets the job done. Good luck with your purchase.

/ 2 properties #30  
I've narrowed my choices to: Mahindra 2516, BX2660/25, GC 2400/10, CC2400 and 1026R.

I needed to be honest with myself on usage and the steepness of the hills. I will only brush hog 1 time then begin mowing about 4.5 acres...the rest is creek or driveway. The driveway is in place but needs filled in and crowned. 85% of this tractors life will be mowing, 7.5% FEL and BB work, 5% driving between the properties, 2.3% snow removal (after we build and move) and 0.2% brush hogging.

I will not post a picture of the steep areas...pictures of hills are like high dives at swimming pools: everyone will tell you it is not that high but once they climb to the top- it is a very different view. Same with my hill, from pictures you will tell me it is not very steep. I need a low center of gravity.

I drove or sat on every tractor listed (did not drive them all due to weather). My conclusion: Anything done while sitting on a 1026R cannot be considered work...it is that comfortable. The auto connect deck is just not fair to the other units.

I did not drive the 1026R but unless it has a square wheel...it is on the top of my list.

I will probably change my mind again though...

Whatever tractor you get- think about getting tires loaded for stabilty.
As for your projected uses of the implements like FEL, :laughing: sorry I had to laugh- once you get the tractor- it's gonna go from projected 7.5% FEL use to 80% actual use:D:thumbsup:

You could do everything, but there would be A LOT of fuel burnt going to and from, and A LOT of fuel burnt doing simple tasks that a slightly larger tractor would accomplish in much less time. If you have a lot of time on your hand than by all means go with a SCUT, but my $.02 go with at least a JD2x20 or a Kubota B or whatever other brand of similar HP/size.

Well - the BX will run nearly all day on a tank. ;)