2 properties

/ 2 properties #1  

jimfuel100

I'm still torn over which tractor to purchase. The more I think about it the more "what if's" I have.

I have about 6 acres...located 1.75 miles from my house. The plan is to "tame" the land and build there in about 5 years. Land needs brush hogged and smoothed out. The land has some fairly steep areas.

We live comfortably in our neighborhood ( 2 kids )...we have about .40 acres to mow. I currently use a 12 year old sears lawn tractor (purchased new).

The longer I think about my situation...I'm thinking about mowing my house with the same tractor I purchase to tame the land. In no particular order: BX25 / GC2410 / MAX25/ CK20 / B2320 / 1026R

Questions:
1) Would you do this???

2) Would you drive down the street between the properties???

I will not trailer it - would have to purchase one.

Thank you.

/ 2 properties #2  
Driving for me would depend on the specific roads If they're low speed rural roads without much traffic I'd do it, if they're busy suburban roads or have high speed traffic I wouldn't do it. In terms of the tractor 'taming' the land and mowing are tasks that really are opposite ends of the spectrum, so you would be looking at a compromise. i personally would go with the kubota B series (or your favorite color in that size range). The smaller BX and JD 1 series are going to have ground clearance issues for 'taming' tasks and you'll want plenty of power for a big brush hog and earth moving. With that said you could always hire out the first mowing / clearing and leveling then use a smaller tractor to finish and maintain as well as for mowing.

/ 2 properties #3  
yer .4ac is great for a rider lawnmower.

yer 6ac.. is gonna take a while to mow with a tractor sized for .4ac

the 6ac tractor.. I'd think you'd wany to be in the upper 20hp range and use 5' rough mower.. thus 25pto hp or so.. or at least real close.. 24 maybee..e tc.

while that machine may fit on the .4ac.. the brush mower won't make a good looking 'finish' lawn.. it will be slightly shaggy, and you will have to push mow up next to walls.. or you will need to buy a 900-1200$ finish mower in addition to t he 600-800$ rough mower in order to cut .35 of your .4ac as lawn, and then still hand trim up next to house.. etc. better to invest in a 800$ economy rider and keep mowing the house with it... and get the right tractor for the larger property.

soundguy

I'm still torn over which tractor to purchase. The more I think about it the more "what if's" I have.

I have about 6 acres...located 1.75 miles from my house. The plan is to "tame" the land and build there in about 5 years. Land needs brush hogged and smoothed out. The land has some fairly steep areas.

We live comfortably in our neighborhood ( 2 kids )...we have about .40 acres to mow. I currently use a 12 year old sears lawn tractor (purchased new).

The longer I think about my situation...I'm thinking about mowing my house with the same tractor I purchase to tame the land. In no particular order: BX25 / GC2410 / MAX25/ CK20 / B2320 / 1026R

Questions:
1) Would you do this???

2) Would you drive down the street between the properties???

I will not trailer it - would have to purchase one.

Thank you.

/ 2 properties #4  
What they said, I really like my BX and the 1026R is really nice, but whatever you pick for one property is going to be a compromise on the other.

We run our BX on the county road about that distance as some of our property is inaccessible otherwise.

/ 2 properties #5  
I would go that distance, do it all the time. Once you start to get 3+ miles I start to trailer.

I don't think you'd be happy with a SCUT, though. I think you'd want a Kubota B or a JD 2x20 size. They are much more tractor for the size of the land. There's not much choice for brush hogs behind SCUT's, but shouldn't have as much trouble with the latter. Of course, if this land is already nurtured, you might not need a tractor at all and just a nice mower. The way it sounds, though, I'd get something with a little more power and size to handle some bigger tasks.

/ 2 properties #6  
At very least, go to a B size Kubota...
We have a BX2660 and a B7500 and the BX is painfully slow going down the road...
If bushhogging, the B series has a much tougher underbelly and more ground clearance than the BX.

Aaron Z

/ 2 properties #7  
my 4600, 5000, or 7610s ford/NH's get roaded 8m round trip each time I mow.

Faster than getting the gooseneck hitched tot he dually, loading, binding, traveling, un binding, unloading.. .. mowing, loading, binding, travel, unbinding, unloading, and then dropping the trailer...

soundguy

/ 2 properties #8  
Larger Kubota B series - I agree, plus Kubota is offering some excellent financing

/ 2 properties
Thanks for the advice. Additional details.

The road is 30mph - 2 lane or 25mph - single lane through neighborhoods to go from house to lot.

I plan to only brush hog a few times then immediately begin pulling a box blade accross the areas that need "smoothed out". There are no stumps to remove or heavy work. The previous owner installed a driveway, well, perk tested and cleared the lot to build a house then "got into some trouble" and had to get out from the property. The property took about 2 years to get to me. I have 6' briars and 1" - 2" saplings to brush hog or pull up.

I have several dead tree limbs to drag to a burn pile...but that is really all.

I have an area that looks as if someone began digging a pond...I plan to scrape the edges to fill in the center and make it "rolling" terrain.

My goal is to have grass ASAP and mow it every 2 or 3 weeks during the season with a MMM.

I'm trying to reduce the number of vehicles / tools / toys to maintain. I believe the MAX 25 or 28 would be the best comprimise.

/ 2 properties #10  
do not forget a front end loader! You will not regret it!

What kind of turning radius do you have? Is the property mainly clear or wooded or something else? Is is mainly flat? Will you need to fence? Snow removal?

That distance on those roads I would drive back and forth in the tractor. Make sure you have lights, flashers, etc. The tractor could also be used to pull a small trailer!