Comparison JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700
What are your intended uses? It may seem silly but the extra 10 hp can be very handy if you intend to do a lot of pto work. Even tillage work it is helpful, keeps you moving forward instead of bogging down as quickly. For my use the 45 was plenty since it will mainly be used for post pounding and pulling a 4 basket tedder and a side delivery rake. Maybe a 5 or 6 foot rotary cutter or weed sprayer but nothing too challenging.
Intended uses: snow plowing and breaking out roads for sugaring. hauling sap, fire wood. and a few logs, brush hog, possible haying. Food plots for deer planting and maintaining. Till or plow a few gardens and potato patches and what ever else comes up on 70 acres of hilly old farmland. Plowing here can be quite a chore with stopping and picking up the plows to get off a rock you hooked up with. I'm past the age of being in a hurry so if a tractor bogs down a bit now and then I wouldn't notice or care. Only place it might matter is pulling a baler and kicker wagon loaded up some of the hills in the gravel roads.
I like that post pounder set up in your picture. Who carries them?

Last edited:
   / JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #12  
Intended uses: snow plowing and breaking out roads for sugaring. hauling sap, fire wood. and a few logs, brush hog, possible haying. Food plots for deer planting and maintaining. Till or plow a few gardens and potato patches and what ever else comes up on 70 acres of hilly old farmland. Plowing here can be quite a chore with stopping and picking up the plows to get off a rock you hooked up with. I'm past the age of being in a hurry so if a tractor bogs down a bit now and then I wouldn't notice or care. Only place it might matter is pulling a baler and kicker wagon loaded up some of the hills in the gravel roads.

I was wondering what your intended uses were when I first read this thread. With this latest response I think you would be better served with a 4320 or 4520 Deere or similar tractor of other brands. I would recommend the ehydro transmission for your various uses.

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #13  
I'm going to disagree with the 4520 suggestion because at the end of his post he says he needs to move a baler/ kicker and wagon. Put some hay on that wagon and the tail will wag the dog on a hill. I would go for a heavier tractor for that reason alone. In my case I would get a 5045e or even the 5055e.

I tried on the workmaster but didn't like it that much. I don't know about the Massey or Kubota. I have hayed with a Kubota M6800 and hated it. With only the 8 speed transmission I could only find too fast and too slow. I've been spoiled with 12x12 transmissions and I can generally find a perfect speed there.

As it so happens I have a quote for a 4320 sitting here in the pile on the desk. The base tractor is $3,500 more then the 5045E. I'm trying to explore all the options and there is no real hurry as sugaring is over for this year and everything else will wait until I have made up my mind.
Also there is the small matter of some long overdue kitchen cabinets that SWMBO wants that I need to get taken care of before I can do much prancing around in the checkbook.:laughing:

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #15  

That pounder is an old Shaver model. If your looking for a new one you may want to contact a Shaver dealer or you could contact my local Case-IH dealer as they deal with them and have a lot of experience with mid mount pounders. It isn't an off the shelf type of item though. The pounder and table are stock for the most part and the mounts are all custom built for each tractor. I can't even begin to guess what the cost would be for an entire new unit but if you would like my Case-IH dealer is LaPorte out of Westfield, NY and their number is 716-326-4671

Most of the pounders I see Shaver sell now are either front, rear or trailer mounted but I do know my dealer just sold a new one mounted to the mid section of a Kubota MX5100 but I don't know how they order them.

Of all your tasks you have listed the baling with a wagon on a hill would be the biggest concern I would have. power wise it would depend on your baler but weight would concern me. I would definitely look at having FWA and load the tires and if needed add some cast weights as well.

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #16  
I don't have any experience with the other two, but the 5045e is a great tractor. It is a lot of tractor for the money, much more than the Kubota. Our only complaint is, it is so much tractor (size and weight wise), that at just 38pto hp it is a little underpowered. The 5055e would probably be a better match if you plan on a lot of PTO work.

That pounder is an old Shaver model. If your looking for a new one you may want to contact a Shaver dealer or you could contact my local Case-IH dealer as they deal with them and have a lot of experience with mid mount pounders. It isn't an off the shelf type of item though. The pounder and table are stock for the most part and the mounts are all custom built for each tractor. I can't even begin to guess what the cost would be for an entire new unit but if you would like my Case-IH dealer is LaPorte out of Westfield, NY and their number is 716-326-4671

Most of the pounders I see Shaver sell now are either front, rear or trailer mounted but I do know my dealer just sold a new one mounted to the mid section of a Kubota MX5100 but I don't know how they order them.

Of all your tasks you have listed the baling with a wagon on a hill would be the biggest concern I would have. power wise it would depend on your baler but weight would concern me. I would definitely look at having FWA and load the tires and if needed add some cast weights as well.
I will have any tractor I buy will be FWD and come with the rear tires loaded and I will rig up a ballast block from half a plastic barrel filled with concrete. The 5045E as quoted comes with 4.4 inch axle extensions to improve side hill stability and provide more clearance between fenders and snaggle toothed chains.
As to the baler train on a hill why not just drop a gear if bailing or move the baler separately if going down the road?
I was thinking of that post pounder for highway maintenance crews I work with. They have gotten away from 6"x8" wood post for guard rail that require a full sized truck mounted ponder to install. A front mounted pounder would work well for them driving smaller steel H section posts as the loader could reach over panels and posts laid out on the shoulder. They could also pull and drive delineator posts easily with one the size you have.

I don't have any experience with the other two, but the 5045e is a great tractor. It is a lot of tractor for the money, much more than the Kubota. Our only complaint is, it is so much tractor (size and weight wise), that at just 38pto hp it is a little underpowered. The 5055e would probably be a better match if you plan on a lot of PTO work.
Thanks for the input. What PTO equipment are you using where 38pto hp isn't quite enough. Is it the task or the model size that needs more power?

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #19  
Thanks for the input. What PTO equipment are you using where 38pto hp isn't quite enough. Is it the task or the model size that needs more power?

The main thing is a chipper, but also baling, tedding and raking. The problem isn't that it doesn't have enough PTO power, it is that the tractor is so heavy for it's power level. Ours is about 8000lbs with the loader, fluid filled tires and wheel weights. That is a lot of weight for 38hp to drag around on the hills while doing PTO work.

It works well for bush hogging (6' JD MX6), and loader work, box blading, etc. Anything where it takes a lot of PTO power (chipper) or where you have to keep up good speed on hills (hay work) it could use another 10hp or so. I will say that on our 446 JD round baler (4x4 bales) it is completely useless. Range A and 1st or 2nd gear is all it will handle. Handles the square baler fine most of the time however.

We got it mostly for loader work and bush hogging, so it works well for most of our needs. We just seem to put it some of the equipment for our bigger tractors due to it's physical size. If you plan on much field work go for the 5055e or 5065e.

/ JD 5045E vs.NHWM45 vs. KUbota MX4700 #20  
vtsnowedin said:
I will have any tractor I buy will be FWD and come with the rear tires loaded and I will rig up a ballast block from half a plastic barrel filled with concrete. The 5045E as quoted comes with 4.4 inch axle extensions to improve side hill stability and provide more clearance between fenders and snaggle toothed chains.
As to the baler train on a hill why not just drop a gear if bailing or move the baler separately if going down the road?
I was thinking of that post pounder for highway maintenance crews I work with. They have gotten away from 6"x8" wood post for guard rail that require a full sized truck mounted ponder to install. A front mounted pounder would work well for them driving smaller steel H section posts as the loader could reach over panels and posts laid out on the shoulder. They could also pull and drive delineator posts easily with one the size you have.

When pulling a baler and wagon you have a lot of weight back there. Going down an incline with that size rig it doesn't matter what gear your in if the weight starts pushing you down hill. Its not a fun experience and a very dangerous situation. In this situation horsepower means nothing, weight is key. If its ballasted then try to bale the steepest sections first or when the wagons empty then as it starts filling up move to a flatter section to top off.