Is this overkill?

/ Is this overkill? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a 1 1/2 acre lot (house and garage building with an acre of open field) that I've been looking into purchasing a riding lawn mower for. Or garden tractor, since it seems that what they're called now. The only problem is the price, especially considering the deck width and engine options. For the price of some of these mowers, I'd rather have a compact tractor, especially since I plan on purchasing more land some time in the future.

I've read through various threads and it seems that a compact tractor would be overkill for such a small lot. Am I shooting to high? I just don't see paying $3000 for a mower when a used tractor and a mower deck could be had for the same price. Another thought I had to offset the cost would be to offer a tractor mowing service (Wise County in North Texas) and I have no problems maintaning the tractor myself.

If this isn't overkill, the New Holland TC 18 caught my eye (I think its their former Ford ownership) or are there better options?

/ Is this overkill? #2  
Where can you find a used TC18 with mower deck for $3,000? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Not a bad choice, though, but you might also look at and consider a Kubota BX1500, BX1800, BX2200 and a John Deere 2210.

And if you could find customers to start a mowing service, that would be great. It seems to me that there are already too many people in that business around here, but I don't know what the market would be like in your neighborhood.

/ Is this overkill? #3  
never one to disuade anyone from buying a tractor, but depending on the lay out of your yard and buildings, u may find that u still need a lawn mower or gt to mow your lawn. if u have a lot of trees or short areas a tractor might not be handy. something to think about, also if u rent out, u need insurance and then someting to move the tractor with.

/ Is this overkill? #4  
"If this isn't overkill..."

Reckon if you took a poll, you'd find a fair percentage of us went a bit overboard with the tractor. I'm in a very similar circumstance as you are, yet I've a 670 (same size...maybe a bit bigger then, the TC-18.
It really depends if you want it.
During the blizzard of a few months back, the 670 and FEL were worth the expenditure, but for the majority of my work, a decent powered lawn tractor would do the work involved. I never regretted buying the machine (except next time, a live or independent PTO)...I'll buy another..same size, little more HP.

In our circumstances, the best tractor would probably be the BX series Kubotas.

So, if you got the funds, indulge!

/ Is this overkill? #5  
I have just under 2 acres. I tore the heck out of my "Lawn Tractor" the first year I was here. I ended up with a '77-79 Yanmar and a finish mower. Added lots of attachments since, and I couldn't be happier.
Sure I'd love one of the new ones on the market, just can't swing it. I have $3400 in the tractor, which is an average price. This thing will work circles around a $3000 riding mower.

/ Is this overkill?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Where can you find a used TC18 with mower deck for $3,000? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Not a bad choice, though, but you might also look at and consider a Kubota BX1500, BX1800, BX2200 and a John Deere 2210.

And if you could find customers to start a mowing service, that would be great. It seems to me that there are already too many people in that business around here, but I don't know what the market would be like in your neighborhood. )</font>

Crap, I am a ******. Talking about used tractors and then mention new.

I should mention I'm open to new tractors as well, the $3,000 price I came up with was from looking through the local newspapers. I don't remember the particular model, but it was $2,500 with a mower.

I like vintage anything (4 vintage automobiles) and a vintage tractor is another option I'm looking in to. I saw what looked to be a Farmall (60MPH tractor ID I'm not good at -- yet) and a mower for sale.

I hear you about the amount of tractor mowing services around here. Even in the local newspaper (Chico, TX pop. 900) there are multiple ads. I wasn't looking to pay off the tractor via the mowing, just as a hobby, I guess. I do auto service/modification work from just word of mouth. The mower work I figured would spring up just like the auto service work did, people see you car/working on a car (tractor/mower sitting outside in this case) and start asking questions.

/ Is this overkill?
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( never one to disuade anyone from buying a tractor, but depending on the lay out of your yard and buildings, u may find that u still need a lawn mower or gt to mow your lawn. if u have a lot of trees or short areas a tractor might not be handy. something to think about, also if u rent out, u need insurance and then someting to move the tractor with.)</font>

My lot is split into two sections, one with the house/garage and the other is an open field with exactly one tree in the middle of it. It is completely fenced but all the gates are wide enough for a tractor to pass through with plenty of room to spare. The yard in front of my house I have a push mower for, its small and lots of trees.

The lot is rectangular, wider than it is deep.

As for moving the tractor, I have a tow vehicle and buying a trailer isn't a problem.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "If this isn't overkill..."
It really depends if you want it.
During the blizzard of a few months back, the 670 and FEL were worth the expenditure, but for the majority of my work, a decent powered lawn tractor would do the work involved.)</font>

No blizzards here, we maybe see one day of ice a year. That day I usually stay in because people here (including myself) can't drive unless its nice and dry.

That is my major sticking point. I grew up around tractors and even though I've got a smallish lot, I'd love to have one around.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have just under 2 acres. I tore the heck out of my "Lawn Tractor" the first year I was here. I ended up with a '77-79 Yanmar and a finish mower. Added lots of attachments since, and I couldn't be happier.
Sure I'd love one of the new ones on the market, just can't swing it. I have $3400 in the tractor, which is an average price. This thing will work circles around a $3000 riding mower. )</font>

I can just feel that is what is going to happen if I get a riding lawn mower. Especially the lower cost mowers with the splash lube engines. Great for a push mower, but I don't think they belong anywhere else.

We're also considering buying land outside of town because we learned that right after we bought the house, horses were outlawed in the city. That, and I think the acre field is a bit small for a horse.

/ Is this overkill?
I wouldn't say it's overkill. I have just over an acre (only about 1/2 of it is grass. The other half is flowers beds and the like (I bought the house just before Christmas) for now. I bought a JD 2210 with loader, tiller, and Box blade. I plan to get a larger place next time around, so I was just planning ahead with this purchase. I've found the loader more useful that I had thought possible and I haven't even really done any "landscaping work" yet.

/ Is this overkill?
I'm new here myself but I think that I can relate to your situation. We just bought a house in January on 1.25 acres. We had been looking for a home on enough land for two horses for a while and ran out of time. (House sold, nowhere to live) Part of this deal was an agreement with my wife that we get a tractor. I miss farming and rural life and I needed the tractor to retain sanity until I can retire and move where I really want to live. We bought a new house on an unimproved lot. I had the tractor delivered the day we closed on the house. I'm sure that we could have hired someone, or several someones, with equipment, to do everything that I have done here. BUT, I would have missed out on all the fun and satisfaction of doing it myself. I love to get on the tractor after a day at work and rip trees out of the ground, or dig out stumps, or grade fill, or whatever. I can't justify owning this tractor by any practical argument, but then again, I don't have to. I readily admit that I have the tractor because I want it. I have a JD 4310 w/FEL and box blade. Too big for my land? Probably, but I don't care. If I had the funds I'd probably have a 9400T. Therapy, that's what it is. (and a really cool toy!)

That's what I think.
Bob

/ Is this overkill? #10  
Narcoleptic,

Welcome to TBN!

I'm the wrong person to ask...I've got a Kubota B2910 on 2/3 acre. I don't use it for mowing, I have a smaller lawn tractor for that. I've had it for almost 3 years now, only have about 80 hours on it, but never regret my decision to purchase it. It's great!

If you want one and can afford one, buy one. Life is too short to deny yourself such simple pleasures. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'd recommend the newer models over the vintage ones based solely on the safety features included in the new machines. However, if you're safety conscious and know that a vintage unit will do what you want, then that could be great too!

Good Luck,

~Rick