Negotiating Private Party sales

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
I'm curious as to how you guys would handle this situation.

Friday evening i saw a piece of equipment on Craigslist I wanted to buy. The seller was asking $5000, and, based on age, configuration, and comparison with other machines, I wasn't willing to go quite that high. I called him and inquired about the machine's history, hours, etc. During that discussion, I asked if he'd be willing to take $4500 for it. He said he would, but I needed to see it. ( I didn't want to spend 1-1/2 hours driving out there, and waste both of our time if his price was firm.) I agreed, and asked if I could come that day. (The phone call was at just after 8:00 am.) He said it wasn't a good day for him, so I asked about the next day. He said that should work, and I should call him at about the same time so he could give me directions, etc. We exchanged full names, and he confirmed that he had my phone number on his caller ID.

The next morning (Sunday) I called and got his answering machine. I left a message requesting he call me back. He never did. I called the next evening, and, again, just got the answering machine. Then I see that he reposted the machine Sunday evening.

I am suspecting he regrets agreeing to my offer so quickly and now is avoiding me, hoping for a better price. I don't want to be a PIA, and I know another machine-probably better- will come along if that doesn't work out. I'd just prefer that he come out and tell me that, instead of not answering or responding. When I've sold something, I've never hesitated to tell a prospective buyer that I might take their offer, i just wouldn't do it so soon after listing the item. What would you do in my situation?

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #2  
I'd give him a call and ask him if he was still negotiable on the price and set a time and date to see it...Don't be bashful....and if you get his answering machine leave a message ...I have had the same thing happen to me in the past a few times and I just pestered them until I got an answer one way or the other...Once a guy was embarrassed to tell me he had sold it, even though he had promised to wait until I saw it...and another time I ended up buying it....it was a back blade and I got a good deal...he was just busy and did not return my call...

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #3  
I'm curious as to how you guys would handle this situation.

Friday evening i saw a piece of equipment on Craigslist I wanted to buy. The seller was asking $5000, and, based on age, configuration, and comparison with other machines, I wasn't willing to go quite that high. I called him and inquired about the machine's history, hours, etc. During that discussion, I asked if he'd be willing to take $4500 for it. He said he would, but I needed to see it. ( I didn't want to spend 1-1/2 hours driving out there, and waste both of our time if his price was firm.) I agreed, and asked if I could come that day. (The phone call was at just after 8:00 am.) He said it wasn't a good day for him, so I asked about the next day. He said that should work, and I should call him at about the same time so he could give me directions, etc. We exchanged full names, and he confirmed that he had my phone number on his caller ID.

The next morning (Sunday) I called and got his answering machine. I left a message requesting he call me back. He never did. I called the next evening, and, again, just got the answering machine. Then I see that he reposted the machine Sunday evening.

I am suspecting he regrets agreeing to my offer so quickly and now is avoiding me, hoping for a better price. I don't want to be a PIA, and I know another machine-probably better- will come along if that doesn't work out. I'd just prefer that he come out and tell me that, instead of not answering or responding. When I've sold something, I've never hesitated to tell a prospective buyer that I might take their offer, i just wouldn't do it so soon after listing the item. What would you do in my situation?

Let us know the outcome!!:(

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #4  
I agree with brin.

Keep calling. Not too much, but leave a message, and then maybe once a day after that.

Same has happened to me in the past. Only it is usually via e-mail. I usually dont respond to e-mails, I perfer people list a phone #. But if it is something I am really serious about, I will e-mail anyway. And usually state that I am interested, ask a few questions, leave my # and request theirs. And usually this is on the SAME day the ad was posted.

After a few days and not hearing ANYTHING, I email again only to find out he already sold it.

I know some people dont like giving their #, and thats fine, but at least have the courtsey to check the e-mail a few times a day and reply to ALL that arent spam.

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #5  
Craigslist can be tough because you never know who you're talking to and they may sell the item and never bother calling you back, get distracted or change their mind. Your approach sounds fine and I'd keep leaving messages. If its a long drive I typically agree on a price on the phone subject to my inspection and tell them I'll be prepared to pay when i show up. That way they know you're not a tire kicker and tend to want to get you there quickly. I then pay what I agreed on unless the condition is radically different than agreed on.

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #6  
I have bought over 100 implements off Craigslist in the past year and made some real good friends that are now buying specific "hard to find" items or me. I have bought all from the pictures posted or maybe ask for a couple more pictures if there is only 1 showing on the listing. I have not been disappointed 1 time in quality or price. Here is what is unbelievable, All pieces have been delivered to 1 of my stores. You need to ask a couple basic questions in the initial contact like: are there any breaks or welds on the machine or is there any rust through on any of the hoppers, is it field ready,etc. I Don't mention delivery until I know I want the machine and I know the machine is good. If you look closely at the pictures background, you can tell a lot about who you are buying from. Ken Sweet

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #7  
Three strikes and you're out should only apply to a ball game.

Use my one strike and you're out rule, forget this knuckle head and what he may or may not have for sale an hour and a half away move on.

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #8  
He probably sold it to someone else for more money and is ignoring all calls now. It's happened to me many times. People can be a pain, especially when it comes to buying and selling.

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #9  
ditto,i'd call and leave a message and state that if he was no longer interested in selling it or at that price, just let me know by call, text, email, etc and that I'd stop inquiring about it.

be friendly, hopefully he will be responsive, etc.

/ Negotiating Private Party sales #10  
Leave him a phone messsage and an email. Then forget about it. I learned a while ago not to waste my time waiting for anyone on craigslist. Although I have met a lot of great people on there, and had lots of success selling and buying, there are a lit of inconsiderate people out there that dont show up or return calls. Forget people like that, because they probably dont take care of their equipment either.