Tractor Sizing What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #11  
About 1 hp per acre is a good rule of thumb for acreages between about 20 and 100. 76 hp would be just about perfect for you.

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #12  
I'd expect you could get by with a 50hp main machine and a 25hp backup to pull the 50hp out after you get it stuck.

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #13  
About 1 hp per acre is a good rule of thumb for acreages between about 20 and 100. 76 hp would be just about perfect for you.

How does that work? Your saying you only need a 20HP tractor for 20 acres? I have 2 20 acre parcels. I have a 20 acre mini farm that I have an 85HP utility tractor on because I use to hay it and another ~20 that was rented out to me. I have another 20 acres at my cabin that I have my 43HP CUT 110 to do some heavy clearly of really big, old trees and level the land for a house in the distant future. Neither of these plots would be suited by a 20HP tractor. You can't even buy a SCUT that's 20HP nowadays, the minimum is about 23-25. I really don't think there is any 'formula' as it really depends on the plans of use.

With that said I would be in the 50+HP range.

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #14  
The question should really be , What do I intend to do and what H.P. tractor do I need to do it. The 45-50 H.P. tractors as stated seem to be the best fit, BUT, IF the initial work is way more than the maintenance a smaller tractor may be the ticket. I have both a 45 H.P. and a 30 H.P. tractor. I am amazed at how much I use the smaller one. Bigger is not always better, need determines size more than acreage. Of course 1 of each is the ultimate situation! :D

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #15  
The question should really be , What do I intend to do and what H.P. tractor do I need to do it. The 45-50 H.P. tractors as stated seem to be the best fit, BUT, IF the initial work is way more than the maintenance a smaller tractor may be the ticket. I have both a 45 H.P. and a 30 H.P. tractor. I am amazed at how much I use the smaller one. Bigger is not always better, need determines size more than acreage. Of course 1 of each is the ultimate situation! :D

I agree 100%. What are your intentions after you get the property cleared out?

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #16  
a 50hp 4x4 tractor will do alot of clean up shredding.if you know how to run a shredder you can get some 4in stuff down.but if you dont you can mess the tractor an shredder up.anything to big to shredd id take out with a dozer.

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #17  
It all depends on what you intend to do.

I work on 84 acres with a 4x4 L4330 with a FEL and a 6' bush hog. The fields were 6' plus deep in brush and grass when I started years ago.

I like the mid size Kubota, but I don't cultivate 84 acres, only 2 or so. Bush hog around 5 acres. The rest is growing trees and that area gets the trails opened up some times. I pull logs out of the woods often, roto till a 2 acre garden etc..

If I had a bigger tractor I couldn't clear the wooded trails like I do, some days I wish I had a cab with AC. But, like folding down the ROPS around the fruit trees while cutting grass.

The most important thing is to buy one you can afford and still get implements.

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #18  
wolc123 said:

I'd need a 750hp tractor and I don't think they make those. I KNOW I couldnt afford one even if they did make 'em!

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #19  
76 acres is too big to waste as a lawn, so what are your future plans for the property? Rent some out for crops, make your own hay, raise your own crops?

Round baler you need 75-120 hp.

Mower conditioner you also do better with 75 hp or more.

All depends on what you want to do in the future.

--->Paul

/ What Horse Power is adequate-76 acres #20  
I'd need a 750hp tractor and I don't think they make those. I KNOW I couldnt afford one even if they did make 'em!

Here you go...

Large-Flag-Tractor-Show-5-02-2007-034.jpg