Buying Advice MF-165 pros/cons

/ MF-165 pros/cons #1  

Rick3248

Tractor
MF-TO20
I'm looking at purchasing a '72 MF-165. Can anyone out there let me in pros/cons of this particular machine? Are there any general/specific problems I need to be aware of or to look for? Should I be wary of anything? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rick3248

/ MF-165 pros/cons #2  
Crank it up and make sure its not smoking. Check the 3pt lift for operations. Drive it around a bit and make sure the tranny is ok and that the clutch isnt slipping. The 165 was a great tractor.

/ MF-165 pros/cons #3  
it's a used / old tractor. check the usual stuff.

make sure it works, no water in oil, oil in water.. hyds and brakes and cluitch and steering.. rubber is expensive.. etc.. look for evidence of repairs and damage.. good repairs aren't a worry.. they show you someone took the time to fix it.

pas thtat.. it's from a solid line of tractors.. among the very best on the market, then and now.

i'm a dedicated ford man, but have to tip my hat at the MF line..

soundguy

/ MF-165 pros/cons #4  
I'm looking at purchasing a '72 MF-165. Can anyone out there let me in pros/cons of this particular machine? Are there any general/specific problems I need to be aware of or to look for? Should I be wary of anything? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rick3248

I assume that 165 is a diesel. I have a 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe with multipower.

DDIL-MF135.JPG

Check the underside of the clutch housing. On my 135 there are several weep holes (sometimes with a loose fitting cotter pin to keep out the dirt). Wiggle the cotter pin or use a small twist drill or piece of wire to ream out the crud in those holes. Look for fluid leakage. A few drops is normal. A steady flow may mean that the rear seal on the crank is leaking (a common problem on the Perkins diesels).

Also check the operation of the 2-stage clutch. Be sure you can engage the pto easily. Sometimes the 2-stage clutch is out of adjustment making it difficult to get the pto shift to work.

And check the rear rubber carefully--it's expensive to replace those tires.

Good luck.