MF 1225 or Ford 1920??

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #1  

IslandGuy

Just bought 6 sloping, wooded acres and need a tractor. . .looking at a '90 Ford 1920 4k hrs w/FEL for $10k or a '98 MF 1225 400 hrs w/FEL for $11.5k

What's the better bet?

Thanks & regards

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #2  
<font color="blue">...What's the better bet?... </font>

Have you considered New for a few dollars more...?

I really like the 1920... but 4000 hours on a compact small cid diesel is approaching rebuild time in a number of cases... if you bought the 1920 for "thousands of $$$" less and you had some future wiggle/repair room then a different story... but $10k for 4000 hours is not any bargain...

Again... you are that close to new, with a warranty... spend a few more dollars... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #3  
I agree w/ John, 4000 hours is a lot on one of these machines. Pass on this particular one. If these two are your only choices and if the Massey is a hydro, go with the MF. If not a hydro, pass on both.

You're also comparing two completely mismatched tractors. You don't mention it, but the 1920 is a gear transmission (either 12x4 or 12x12); the 1225 is either a hydro or 6x2 gear. The 1920 is a bigger machine in HP (32 vs 22 net), size (126"x60" vs 105"x41"), and weight (3069 vs 1500).

You may want to more clearly define your needs - i.e. hydro or gear, if gear std or shuttle, mostly ground engaging or lawn mowing activites...

Also, to bring up a recurring theme, visit you local dealers. They could help you decide on the proper size machine you need, and also on their ability to support your purchase, wherever it's made. If you're not comfortable with your dealer, it doesn't matter what kind of a deal you got on it. That's why I'll never own a Kubota, nothing against the product; just the dealer.

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920??
Thanks for the advice
I wasn't really looking for such a big tractor like the 1920 but I always heard good things about them from guys that have em. I havn't seen much on the MF 1225 so I am a bit wary of buying one. I know the bigger MF work well. Anybody know much about the 1225? It does have hydro so that is a plus.

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( a '90 Ford 1920 4k hrs w/FEL for $10k or a '98 MF 1225 400 hrs w/FEL for $11.5k)</font>

You're talking $CDN not $US, correct?

Mark

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #6  
Why pass if it is not a hydro? There are a lot of people who do not need or want a hydro for various reasons. I will not own one because I see no advantage in it. The gear transmissions the tractor companies have now are so smooth and easy to use it makes sense to get a gear tractor, save money and have more usable horsepower because you don't have the hydro sucking hp from the engine. But there are some cases a hydro is nice but it should not be a major factor in deciding to buy or not to buy in every case.

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #7  
Ya got me there Robert! I should have said that it's just my opinion, after demo-ing a couple of makes and models, that the 6x2 tranny doesn't offer enough variety in ground speeds. I was raised on standard transmissions and personally like them just fine, with the synchro-shuttle being my favorite, but I don't think that anything less than an 8x2 gives enough gears to efficiently get the job done.

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #8  
i hate to rain on your parade.. but that sounds high on the 1920... mine is a 97 model, has 4wd, no fel. I paid 9750 altogether with a cannopy... and this unit had a rebuilt motor in it from the dealership I bought it from.. so you know that was figured in... The unit had 720 hours on it, with about 4 on the new motor. I love it.. but figure the price of a fel.. and the depreciation of the 4000 hours on the 1920.. I think it should be a few thousand less.

Though it is not uncommon to see 5000 - 10000 hours on the old ag tractors.. like the ford 7700 - 8000 series.. and them still going strong... I would think that if it hasn't been overhauled by 4000 hours.. even with good care and tlc, it will soon be needing some work... just my opinion though, and there are always exceptions... my 52 8n has never been rebuilt afaik, ( though is getting tired now ) and is 51 years old... and has the battle scars to prove many many hours of hard use..

I agree with the others.. you are way close to a price on a 25/29/33 with a loader, and 0 hours... and warranty...

Soundguy

/ MF 1225 or Ford 1920?? #9  
The more gears the better. My TN has the 8x8 which is fine but I wish I had more from time to time. Plus if something goes wrong, I could fix it myself with out having to go to school first.