Honing In

/ Honing In #1  

SLOBuds

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
I have a color in mind. I have model numbers in mind. But what I'd rather do is tell the story of what my property looks like and what my equipment will be used for. If you could recommend tractor and attachments that would be appreciated.

I have a 10 acre farm in Central California. The weather is generally mild - generally all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif The farm is one of rolling hills. About 3/4 of it is on gentle slope, about 1/4 of it is flat. There is a mixture of trees from beautiful Coastal Oaks, to Liquid Amber, to Chinese Elm, to all other kinds. They only consume about 10% of the land space. Brush is everywhere. The soil is quite nice.

No crops. No livestock.

2 houses and 1 Ag Unit.

I have several immediate projects for cleaning up the property. It has been left unmanaged for many years before I bought it early this year. After the immediate projects I will have ongoing maintenance.

Immediate projects: Brush clearing, removing 3-5 abandoned structures, pulling out a bunch of unused fences and barbed wire, fixing drainage problems around 3 houses, removing an abandoned lap pool, clearing out several dead trees, and looking cool on a new tractor.

Next projects: fixing gravel road, building orchard with 8' anti-deer fencing, repairing rest of fencing around property, creating walkways to various parts of the property, planting 50 more trees, and looking cool on a near-new tractor.

Ongoing maintenance: gravel road maintenance, orchard maintenance, fencing maintenance, garden tilling, brush hogging, lawn cutting, dirt moving, branch chipping/shredding a couple times each year, general cleanup, and looking tired but cool on a newish-dusty tractor.

What do you think?

Thanks!

/ Honing In #2  
I'll bite.
Sounds to me like a Kubota 2910 with FEL, 5' rotary cutter, 6'RFM, and a 5' box blade would get you off to a grand start. I started off with a couple of the implements and added to where I have the same as I suggested for you. I guess you can tell I'm a fan of the big K. I drive a 3010 myself, but from your description I think the 2910 would be a good fit for you. I have to admit though, as long as you get a good dealer, you can't go wrong with any color tractor.
Good luck with your hunt.
Moon of Ohio

/ Honing In #3  
without regards to color i would imagine that something in the 30 hp range would do u well, 4 wd, hydro(my preference) fel, R4 tires, box blade. and if u have that much brush then a brush hog! and don't forget a removable toothbar! GOD 1 i love spending someone elses $$$$. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
welcome aboard! let us know what u decide.

/ Honing In
Well, maybe I gave too much information or the question was too open-ended.

Anyway ... I am considering a B7800 and an L3410. Both in the 30 HP range, but quite different in size and weight. I am worried that the B7800 may be too small and the L3410 may be too big. Go figure.

My local rental yard has an L2900 which I will rent for a couple of small projects. The Kubota salesman tells me that the L2900 is right between the B7800 and the L3410. That might help with a decision.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thanks.

/ Honing In #5  
Darn lucky guess with the 2910 suggestion, huh? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I was pretty much ready to buy a 2910. Then I drove a 3010 w/ R4's. Thats what I bought and I'm really glad I did. The extra weight has helped with brush hoggin my hills and pushing over trees / locust posts, etc. I also like the wider stance of the 3010. Very stable on the hills.
Moon of Ohio