Comparison Less hours or more features JD

/ Less hours or more features JD #1  

vtsnowedin

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 5045E
While trying to overcome a bad case of sticker shock from looking at a new 45 to 55 HP 4X4 tractor I have been casting around the net looking at what is available used. I came across these two for similar money. What do you think is the better value?

Tractor #1 JD 5105 4wd with a 521` loader 45 HP with 776 hours on it two sets of remotes.
Tractor #2 JD5400 1996 4wd w/ Koyker loader 60 HP with 2873 hours. cab with heat /radio ,blk heater, grill guard tires at 90%, Overall condition 7/10

Tractor #1 they want $19,900 and it's 410 miles away. Tractor #2 they want $23,500 and it is 80 miles away.
Almost new no frills tractor which the first owner wants to sell very early vs. tractor that was very nice when new and has had regular and normal use .
What do you think?

/ Less hours or more features JD #2  
How do you feel about having a cab? That seems to be a major difference between the two.
What transmissions do each have that may help decide?
The hours are NOT too high to rule out the 5400, not even 200/year.
If I WANTED a cab, the 5400, not I'd keep looking.

/ Less hours or more features JD #3  
About the only thing similar with the 2 tractors is that they're 5000 series machines. Otherwise, there's a whole lot of difference between them!

The 5400 has fifteen more horsepower. It also has a draft sensing 3pt. Nearly another 500 lbs on the 3pt lift. The 5400 has several better transmission options, too. Including a wet clutch with reverser. It's a heavier machine as well.

The 5105 is more in line with Deere's effort to produce a "no frills, economy" tractor. The 5400 is higher up on the scale of a high end machine.

Depending upon the amount/kinds of work (acreage) you have in mind for the tractor - the 5400 has a lot more flexibility to fit a broader lineup of chores than the 5105 ever will - IMO.

AKfish

/ Less hours or more features JD
They both have gear sync shift trannys so they are comparable there. The cab would be nice when moving snow in the winter. This would be a way to get one for less then the $10,000 list price of a new one. Seems an awful lot for some glass and steel frame with no moving or precision machined parts.
Going to the build your own JD site the closet thing in current production to the 5400 is the 5075M . With cab etc. it lists for $52,700 new. The 5105 today is comparable with a 5045E with a 553 loader that I have quoted for at $29,300
Thanks for the replies guys.

/ Less hours or more features JD #5  
They both have gear sync shift trannys so they are comparable there. The cab would be nice when moving snow in the winter. This would be a way to get one for less then the $10,000 list price of a new one. Seems an awful lot for some glass and steel frame with no moving or precision machined parts.
Going to the build your own JD site the closet thing in current production to the 5400 is the 5075M . With cab etc. it lists for $52,700 new. The 5105 today is comparable with a 5045E with a 553 loader that I have quoted for at $29,300
Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd look at national sites like tractorhouse.com for used iron. The cheaper prices you will find other places even with the transport cost should still be better than your prices. I'd also look at other brands.