Buying Advice Not a newb, but still seeking advice

/ Not a newb, but still seeking advice #1  

finspop

Silver Member
Hello everyone. Here's the story:

I have approx 50 hilly acres in Vermont. I currently own a 50-horse 4wd Long, which is very strong and was very cheap, but requires more upkeep that I can keep up with. All the issues have been minor, but they keep coming and it seems like I spend as much time tinkering, as I do operating.
So I'm looking for something a bit newer. My main issue is $ (I'm sure most of you can relate). I cannot afford exactly what I want, which would be a slightly used M5040 or something along those lines. So I'm left wondering if I should try to find a more-than-slightly-used utility-size tractor... I have no particular brand loyalty; I only mention the 5040 as a reference to what I think would be about ideal. OR... could I get away with a newer, low hour machine the size of, say, a Kioti DK35 or NH TC35 (I mention those b/c I've seen a couple on Craigslist that look very good for the $ I can afford).

Here is what I am currently doing with my Long:

Skidding logs for my sawmill and for firewood (I have a winch)
Clearing snow with bucket
Moving compost/bedding, etc
Moving rocks
Clipping pasture
General small farm tasks

I'm a little nervous about the capacities of a smaller machine, after having become accustomed to the Long, which has an incredibly stout loader (2900-lb lift). Any advice from the peanut gallery? My budget is $15k, plus or minus.

Thank you!

/ Not a newb, but still seeking advice #2  
you need to take a look at the MX5100 HST 4x4 w/LA844 quick tatch loader an see if that will fit your needs.

/ Not a newb, but still seeking advice
That would be a good choice, I think... but I haven't seen any in my price range. But will keep my eyes open.

/ Not a newb, but still seeking advice #4  
That would be a good choice, I think... but I haven't seen any in my price range. But will keep my eyes open.
The DK40SE is the sweet spot for loader capability vs. cost in the Kioti line up, 2700lbs at the pins at full height so realistically it can lift anything you can fit into the bucket unless you're moving gold bars...
The older DK45 is a slightly bigger tractor than the new DK40/45/50SE as well with no HST so they may fit right into your price range.