Lemon Law

/ Lemon Law #1  

farm88

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahendra
I have no idea where to post this so I figured this would be the best place to start. I recently purchased a tractor and it has been giving me some problems. Does anyone know what the lemon law is for a tractor in Virginia?

/ Lemon Law #2  
There are no lemon laws for equipment.

/ Lemon Law #3  
Welcome! Sorry to hear you are having problems. What kind of issues and what model tractor?

/ Lemon Law
I did some searching online and can't find much on it. I would rather not say the problem I a m having or what kind of tractor it is, but the problem is a safety issue. I attached a file I found but I think it was from 1995. I was hoping someone would known something about it.

Attachments

• lemon.pdf
    758.7 KB · Views: 279
   / Lemon Law #5  
Interesting file on Automotive and Tractor lemon laws...but I expect you'll need a local lawyer to interpret if it's applicable in your case.
If you bought the tractor new, you should go back to the dealer (IMHO) especially if it's a safety issue.
If used, I doubt the law would work for you...

I'm not sure why you're hesitant about naming the brand or describing the problem...it would definitely help as others may have had the same problem.

/ Lemon Law #6  
I can say I occasionally wish there was such a law. But most of my lemon like things are from trying to buy too cheap and trusting someone that has no knowledge of the machine or how to use.
So my personal lemon law is dont buy from a jockey. If they live in town and have 10 tractors 6 trucks and 4 pleasure boats they aint farmers and probably aint never used the machine.
A good dealer is usually truthful even if they dont want to tell all they know or think about a machine. If the dealer is wishy washy about a machine as to try it out first. Even pay rent or hauling to try ir before you pay.

/ Lemon Law #7  
I can say I occasionally wish there was such a law. But most of my lemon like things are from trying to buy too cheap and trusting someone that has no knowledge of the machine or how to use.
So my personal lemon law is dont buy from a jockey. If they live in town and have 10 tractors 6 trucks and 4 pleasure boats they aint farmers and probably aint never used the machine.
A good dealer is usually truthful even if they dont want to tell all they know or think about a machine. If the dealer is wishy washy about a machine as to try it out first. Even pay rent or hauling to try ir before you pay.

Very good advice on purchasing used equipment..Always heard 'USE Caution when buying freshly painted piece of farm equipment?'

/ Lemon Law #8  
New to the forum and I know this is an old thread but wanted to put the information here for future searches on the topic of tractors and lemon laws. Four states have tractor lemon laws. Georgia, Illinois, Minnesota, and Virginia. The Virginia code section that would cover the OP's question is § 59.1-207.8.

https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+59.1-207.8