Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    None, for now. :(

Default Re: What size tractor do i need?

I thought I'd just add my little push in the direction of more horsepower. As has been mentioned above, better to have more horsepower. The more horsepower, the less hard you will have to work the tractor, which equals longer tractor life and money saved in the long run.

Imagine an underpowered air compressor trying to run a couple of framing nail guns. It can do the job, but it takes a whole lot longer (because you have to wait for the tank to build pressure) and as any business owner knows time is money. On the other hand, we are talking about seat time on the tractor, so you may be looking to spend a lot of time "working" on the tractor. I always am.

Clint.

P.S. Welcome to TBN -- let your fingers do the talking.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Personally, I'd go for the 22 over the 15. If you want a machine that is really gentle on the turf, you might look at the Power Trac PT425 (scroll down a little on this page). Here's a link to their price sheet that lists all of the implements available.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Ryan, welcome to the forum. I have a slightly different twist that might be worth considering. You have a skid steer and your rotary mowing, lawn prep and blade work could be done with the appropriate attachments added to it. Then you could look for a dedicated mower for your personal lawn maintenance. I realize that is not what you have ask but the sub compacts compared to the power you are use to with a skid steer could be disappointing except for the finish mowing. Just food for thought.

MarkV

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

I'm not sure but wouldn't a skid steer weigh more than 2 of those tractors combined. If he's concerned about weight then that would probably not be the best option.

If it were me I'd definietly goe for the BX2200 without the FEL. This should allow for brush hog, scraper, rake use with no problems. Without the cost of the FEL you should be able to get many more attachments within your budget.

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

TD, I am sure you are right about the weight. Guess I was thinking the weight concerns had to do with finish mowing but not so much with lawn site prep work. Landscape companies prep new construction yard sites all the time with skid steers in this area. A Harley rake on a skid steer can make a great seed bed.

MarkV

Tractor
    JD 855 4WD, HST

Mark,

I might be right about the weight but after I reread the thread I actually think your suggestion might be the best one. For finish mowing all he really needs is a lawn tractor (mower). Everything else he is trying to accomplish he could do with the Skid Steer. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

On the note of the skid steer, yes mine is very heavy at 12,000lbs. It is great for doing the rough grade but when it comes to doing the finish raking it is real bad. The soil gets to compacted. As of what has been said here and by my dealers I have desided to drop the BX1500 from the mix.

I am getting closer!
    Ryan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12